Airbrush Suggestions

javelin7369

Hi, everyone. I am a beginner when it comes to airbrushing. I want to finally purchase one that is 'easy' to use but will last with good results and will allow me to grow when it comes to detailing. Can some people give me a few suggestions, I am wanting to keep it at under $150 if possible for the airbrush. Thanks and God bless.

Hey there Javelin,

May I suggest the Harder & Steenbeck line of airbrushes.

Made in Germany, very high quality airbrushes, some of the best in the world. Easy to clean (sorry guys, much easier to clean than Iwata or Badger).

I say this not only because I am a dealer, but also because I use one for my own kits.

If you are looking for something under $150, might I suggest the Evolution. The basic kit comes with a 0.2mm needle, and a 2ml paint cup (all of H&S's airbrushes are gravity feed with a paint cup), double action, and share all of its parts with their top of the line Infinity airbrush, so down the road if you want the bells and whistles that the Infinity has....then you can buy the parts and add them to the Evolution.

The Evolution Solo runs about $135CDN, you still need a hose and compressor with that (which H&S also have), and is probably as good or better than most airbrushes out there, other than the high end Iwata and H&S's own Infinity.

For more info on it, you can go to H&S's website:

http://www.germanairbrush.com/

And specifically the Evolution page: http://www.germanairbrush.com/evolution_solo.html

As well, feel free to contact me at [email protected] if you would like more info....I will actually be doing an order to them in the next couple of weeks if you are interested in one.

Thanks
Scott

I have fantastic luck with Paache VL and H airbrushes. However, using a airbrush does have a learning curve to it, and you get a second hobby, that of assembling and dissembling a airbrush!

Regardless of what you choose each airbrush is different and in a lot of cases it each one is different and different things. My Iwata Eclipse is great for very fine work but it a bit of a bastard to clean. Parts are not easy to find and the needle is easy to bend. The Paache VL is good for all around work but it needs carefully cleaned after use. Only a little bit of acrylic paint left to harden will cause no end of grief with it. The Paache H and my Badger 350 can lay a nice base coat but they don't offer the control to be real fine with. The Aztec is quick to clean and great for spraying things like future. Each airbrush does things differently and handles different, if possible try them out or at least take it apart and put it together, you NEED to be comfortable with this, then practice practice practice. Keep a notebook as each paint and even color thins differently until you get a feeling for ratios, and mixing and thinning paints. Some paint also benefit from straining thought a tea filter or cheese cloth to keep the larger pigment particle out of the airbrush which prevents some clogs.

One word, a good airbrush is going to run at least $70- $150. often more. However, stay away from the canned air. These things are a racket, very costly and as they get used up they freeze and fluctuate in pressure. My preference for "powering" my airbrushes is either a compressor, with a moisture/oil trap or if you MUST have quiet, like working during the night. 10.lb CO2 cylinders, These cost $20 US to be filled and last several models, CO2 is also dry so you don't have moisture or oil problems like compressors would. The regulators are the costly part of this rig though, around $80. Look for a gas distributor or a place that serviced Beer and soda taps for gas bottles and regulators.

javelin7369 said:
Hi, everyone. I am a beginner when it comes to airbrushing. I want to finally purchase one that is 'easy' to use but will last with good results and will allow me to grow when it comes to detailing. Can some people give me a few suggestions, I am wanting to keep it at under $150 if possible for the airbrush. Thanks and God bless.

I usually stick with Badger's. You can get the Renegade Velocity for under 100 bucks. The other airbrush I would suggest would be Iwata's. I'm planning to purchase a new gravity feed brush and it's either the Velocity or the Iwata's Eclipse HP-CS. The HP-CS you can get for around $120. I'm just trying to convince myself to break away from Badger's. They never fail me. lol

As Scott from ECH said, I heard raved reviews of Harder & Steenbeck airbrushes too. You should look into those too. :)

My first airbrush was a Paasch H, inexpensive, no frills, sometimes a pain to get going, but served me well. Now I'm using an Iwata Revolution - I love it.

Jeep said:
I have fantastic luck with Paache VL and H airbrushes. However, using a airbrush does have a learning curve to it, and you get a second hobby, that of assembling and dissembling a airbrush!

Regardless of what you choose each airbrush is different and in a lot of cases it each one is different and different things. My Iwata Eclipse is great for very fine work but it a bit of a bastard to clean. Parts are not easy to find and the needle is easy to bend. The Paache VL is good for all around work but it needs carefully cleaned after use. Only a little bit of acrylic paint left to harden will cause no end of grief with it. The Paache H and my Badger 350 can lay a nice base coat but they don't offer the control to be real fine with. The Aztec is quick to clean and great for spraying things like future. Each airbrush does things differently and handles different, if possible try them out or at least take it apart and put it together, you NEED to be comfortable with this, then practice practice practice. Keep a notebook as each paint and even color thins differently until you get a feeling for ratios, and mixing and thinning paints. Some paint also benefit from straining thought a tea filter or cheese cloth to keep the larger pigment particle out of the airbrush which prevents some clogs.

One word, a good airbrush is going to run at least $70- $150. often more. However, stay away from the canned air. These things are a racket, very costly and as they get used up they freeze and fluctuate in pressure. My preference for "powering" my airbrushes is either a compressor, with a moisture/oil trap or if you MUST have quiet, like working during the night. 10.lb CO2 cylinders, These cost $20 US to be filled and last several models, CO2 is also dry so you don't have moisture or oil problems like compressors would. The regulators are the costly part of this rig though, around $80. Look for a gas distributor or a place that serviced Beer and soda taps for gas bottles and regulators.
I'm going to reiterate what he said, but I'm only going to a little. There is a learning curve, but in my experience most people want to use something functional - not exceptional! I use a Paasche VL. I just soak mine in mineral spirits, or lacquer thinner to clean it - no problem. This is easy to clean, and use. It is a no frills AB, and rightly so. It does what it was intended for, and it doesn't cost an arm, and a leg! This is what the ILM guys used on the X-wings as well as the Paasche VH. You can get professional results without a lot of hassle, and save yourself some serious bucks. There are a lot of guys who will suggest the most damn expensive airbrush on the market to feel good about what they use without being embarrased thinking "The more expensive it is, the better painter/modeler I'll be". This simply isn't true! These expensive ones
are aimed at professional artists - not avearage modelers who only want to paint a decent finish.

You can get the same results from $15.00 harbour frieght airbrush. I've used one of these that a friend has. He, and I compared these to the IWATA, and the AZTEK, as well as the PAASCHE that he, and I both have one of. These are the most professional, and best quality for an introduction model for someone who only wants to dabble, and not nit-pick every little thing about painting. This is nice, although not a perfect offering for those who want to buy an entry level airbrush, and don't want to spend a fortune on it. It's also nice for those who also want a backup, or who just want to spray multiple colours without changing their main airbrush out. Filters are also available for $4.00 a pop, but they last a long time.

Just click on the links.

http://www.harborfreight.com/deluxe-airbrush-kit-95810.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/airbrush-mini-filter-96427.html

Now I want to get a Harbor Frieght airbrush just to try it out. At approx. $20 it would be fun just to see how it performs...

I recently bought the airbrush and compressor kit ($80) and the mini-filter ($4) from harbor freight. I used it to spray my contest entry.

I have 2 youtube videos up about them, with some great comments from viewers.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvmmKxDJcj4
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esFPshyV4pY

The biggest problem I had is that the filer, when attached to the airbrush, does not allow you to use the jar it comes with! And it makes using the cup very difficult. I need to find a way to extend it down about 3", either with fittings or a hose, or buy some other form of inline filter. The 2nd filter though, is absolutely required as I got a lot of water in the spray the first time I used it before I bought the mini-filter. I can say though, the mini-filter works very well.

Also, the filter has NPS fittings, while the brush and hose are NPT. It leaks a little at the brush side.

sorien said:
The biggest problem I had is that the filer, when attached to the airbrush, does not allow you to use the jar it comes with! And it makes using the cup very difficult. I need to find a way to extend it down about 3", either with fittings or a hose, or buy some other form of inline filter. The 2nd filter though, is absolutely required as I got a lot of water in the spray the first time I used it before I bought the mini-filter. I can say though, the mini-filter works very well.

Also, the filter has NPS fittings, while the brush and hose are NPT. It leaks a little at the brush side.

For the second water trap, buy some conversion fittings and a short hose so that the moister trap fits between the main hose and the short hose. The other end of the short hose going to the air brush. If you're getting leaks, get plumbers tape and tape the threads in the fittings. That should stop any small leaks.

But that compressor you got is a piston compressor, you shouldn't be getting THAT much water. You already have a moister trap coming straight out from your compressor and should really be enough. Are you sure there isn't just isn't a leak on the brush itself or your mix is too thinned? You could also try changing to a coil air hose which helps with capturing moister as the air runs through the hose to the brush.

DK

It was definitely water, and the mini filter fills with water. One time it got about 1/3 full and some water made it through until I drained it.

The moisture trap on the compressor end does not seem to do much. replacing it with better parts someday down the road will probably help, but for now the mini filter works.

sorien said:
It was definitely water, and the mini filter fills with water. One time it got about 1/3 full and some water made it through until I drained it.

The moisture trap on the compressor end does not seem to do much. replacing it with better parts someday down the road will probably help, but for now the mini filter works.

Hmmm, could be your water trap on the compressor is defective. Did you mention somehting about rusting? Maybe get Harbor to do an RMA exchange?

On tankless compressors moisture traps right at the compressor are actually very inefficient in that the air is still (relatively) warm and they cant do their job as well. Some of the Japanese setups actually have a length of otherwise superfluous coiled hose between the compressor's head and the regulator/moisture trap which gives the air a chance to really get cold and the moisture trap can do a much better job.

I have a Badger (T&C) AirStar with a trap right at the compressor and since I work in a rather humid half basement it does trap water BUT on a really, really, really humid day I will still get water in the hose if I'm not careful.

I do notice though that how my hose is lying on the floor makes a difference: as long as it runs along the floor in a more or less strait fashion to me I never have a problem but if there is even just one loop in it I'm almost guaranteed to have water on those extra humid days.

Regardless though, on those occasions where it has spit water on me, the interesting thing is that using Vallejo paint (purely water based) my work was not "ruined": Hit it hard and fast with just air to blow off/dry the water and at worst come back later with another coat to even out the finish. Yet one more reason to go Vallejo! ;)

Haha, I live in Los Angeles so the word "humid" is a word of legend. I have a Iwata Smart Jet There's a 4 feet coil hose before it reaches the moister trap and then a 10' straight line to the air brush. I haven't yet have had a water problem. Water does get trapped in the tap. I think the way the smart jet is set up is pretty efficient in keeping water moister from hitting the air brush.

The smart jet is pretty nice and has an auto shut off. I would recommend that compressor to anyone. Only beef I have with it is the regulator or rather the semi-regulator. To control anything lower than 35psi, you have to open the moister trap. I can tack on a real regulator to the moister trap though to get precise control.

JMac said:
Now I want to get a Harbor Frieght airbrush just to try it out. At approx. $20 it would be fun just to see how it performs...

That is what I am doing. I got one for $15 with a $60 compressor. They both work great as far as I can tell.

I only have airbrushes I've bought on e-bay for like $25AUD delivered and no problems at all. They come with 0.3 needle and are dual action COOL . But I really do go overboard on cleaning the brush after every use.

Dano1945 said:
JMac said:

That is what I am doing. I got one for $15 with a $60 compressor. They both work great as far as I can tell.

I also bought one. It does work pretty well, but I don't think you can adjust it as well as the others, and as far as I can tell, there are no replacement parts, so if you bend the needle, you buy another brush. Unless you can find the air brush that they copied this one from.

I had one of those cheapy ones for about two months before it broke. The brass tip ripped in half while taking it apart for cleaning. Could of been my fault I admit. Picked up an Iwata after that and the higher quality of the spray pattern was very obvious. Still for $25 it was well worth the price. Good for practice and most spray jobs.

I would suggest taking a real good look at Badger. Priced right, these airbrushes will not fail you. And, if for some reason they ever do fail you, Badger will stand behind them. My first brush was a Badger 150......I still have it! I have tried many brushes including Taiwanese Iwata knock offs, you get what you pay for. I always kept my old Badger because I know it will do the job if my experiments with other brushes ended poorly. I am now using Badgers only, some lessons are learned the hard way for me, but, I thought I would try to save you from them.
If you are a beginner, I would also suggest that you pay attention to your choice of commpresor. The wrong set up can cause a begginer frustration that could be blamed on themselves or the airbrush when it is the compressor. The consistancy and moister free air comming through your brush is almost as important as your paint or the brush itself.

Latest posts

Back