ADVICE? Just bought Trumpeter's 1/35 Canadian AVGP Cougar

Swanningabout

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."
I thought I would do it in NATO green and maybe NATO BLACK too. OR I could do something crazy and paint it Tamiya XF-2 flat white for a UN scheme. I am not a very skilled modeller, and I do all my work with the hand brush. Also, white I find is a very difficult colour to deal with. Any advice on handbrushing with white? Should I play it safe with NATO green or take my life in my hands and do something different? Somebody please stop me! . . .

For white, try something like Vallejo White primer. It is a poly-urethane, goes on with a brush or an airbrush and is self leveling. I used to hate white as well, but this stuff takes all the angst out of painting white, for me at least.

I also find flat white work pretty good to with a brush and truth be told if you look at most military vehicles you will see they are touched up a lot with brushes that's how we did it.

Okay, I decided to go for the white. I used Acryl and thinned it with about 30% Testors universal thinner. The first coat (which I have applied only to the lower hull so far) seems to go one fairly well. I had to brush it a lot to prevent it from pooling too much, and to brush out the bubbles that seemed to form. Kind of excited about this project, because one does get a little tired of green. Too bad Trumpeter didn't include any crew figures.

:eek: :) The first Canadian Forces APV id modelled was the Cougar and I did it in the UN paint markings as
worn by the Canadian Land Command in Bosnia. I found that Revel and Airfix both made British Tanker figures,
wearing the same one peice combat dress and Beret as the Canadians. When in Bosnia and Kosovo the Canadian
Armoured Brigades wore either the one piece black or khaki coveralls and the UN Blue berets.

This is good information to know, thanks. I was thinking actually of ordering some crew figures. Also, if it is the case as mentioned above that the white was often painted on with a hand brush and therefore showed brush strokes, that would justify my less than factory finish perfect paint job. It looks like there will be about 5 coats of very thin white on it.

The cougar does strike me as a huge, lumbering vehicle, but perhaps that is just the product of my mostly WWII armour perspective. Only relatively recently have I taken an interest in post WWII vehicles.

twister said:
:eek: :) The first Canadian Forces APV id modelled was the Cougar and I did it in the UN paint markings as
worn by the Canadian Land Command in Bosnia. I found that Revel and Airfix both made British Tanker figures,
wearing the same one peice combat dress and Beret as the Canadians. When in Bosnia and Kosovo the Canadian
Armoured Brigades wore either the one piece black or khaki coveralls and the UN Blue berets.

The black one piece were coveralls. Khaki was AFV crewsuits. No berets were worn if mounted, only "borrowed" US Kevlar helmets.

Regards

here is a good site to get some modern Canadian tank crew for your Cougar, and like twister said if you want earlier crew then one piece combat dress and a blue Beret as the Canadians who served in a peace keeping mission but in the field they would wear tanker helmets, a black beret is the ones they normaly would wear to indicate and armored unit The Canadian Combat Vehicle Crew Helmet is pretty much the same as the U.S. ones as most of our earlier equipment like helmets were most likely bought from the Americans.

Here is the link for the figures http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcountry&cid=CA&secid=10

Latest posts

Back