Adventures in 3d printing

Cool video, I've been thinking of buying a 3D printer just to use for printing accessories and details of my model projects as I scratch build a lot of details which turns out cool but as you know yourself the process can be time consuming.

Is working with the resin messy? was your printer just plug and play or did it require downloading the drivers?

They recommend using gloves with the resin, so I'd be careful there.
Printer isn't even attached to the computer ATM. I use a thumb drive to get the meshes to the printer.

And I'll likely be printing accessories and the like as well. Just wanting to get a bit more comfortable with it before going that route

How expensive are those machines? I'm interested in one but for models. I'm sure there are all kinds of prices, but I would like something that could just take care of printing parts, not an entire model or something like that.

I have a "regular" 3D printer and have been using it to make light bars, push bumpers, etc. for police cars. It's been a huge learning curve, what with the printer, the CAD software and the slicer software. It can be very frustrating but also very rewarding. I'm not sold on resin printing yet, though. It will probably catch up, but it seems there is MUCH more flexibility with an FDM printer with filament types and colors, support, etc.

Mcirving, check on Amazon for pricing. You can get a decent FDM printer for $200 and some change. Resin printers are a bit higher.

Very cool! 3D printers are a great addition to the model building craft. I have several high precision large format FDM printers that I love using to both accessorize and upgrade existing models and also print full kits with multiple parts.

The Anycubic Photon Mono X that I bought set me back about $800 USD including shipping.
While they do have smaller ones for less, I knew I'd be disappointed if I went that route.
Still learning some of the tricks of the trade

Pretty cool !
The car , especially the initial model , has a Mach 5 vibe for sure .

So how long did it take to print the larger car ?

Thanks. It was definitely influenced by the Mach.
The larger version took about 8.5 hours to print

Just curious to know if there is a place you can download military 3D drawings for 1/35th scale to use with your 3D printer. I am beyond having the patience to even think about trying to learn cad software from internet videos. I'm sure I could, but the frustration of learning the cricut machine that way sucked big time and I ain't interested in going through that with cad software. Oh how I long for the days when companies provided in depth manuals and everything you needed for the expensive shit we buy. I don't have a printer yet, just looking at what the roadblocks are and this is the big one for me.

3D printing is very much a DIY enterprise. They never heard of manuals. I envy the guys that can make a figurine from scratch. That's an art form into itself. I'm not into that, but you might try doing a search for 1/35 STL and see what you come up with.

Don't know what good the drawings would do for 3d printing, but there are several sites with pre-made files for printing that could be scaled up or down as needed

Just curious to know if there is a place you can download military 3D drawings for 1/35th scale to use with your 3D printer. I am beyond having the patience to even think about trying to learn cad software from internet videos. I'm sure I could, but the frustration of learning the cricut machine that way sucked big time and I ain't interested in going through that with cad software. Oh how I long for the days when companies provided in depth manuals and everything you needed for the expensive shit we buy. I don't have a printer yet, just looking at what the roadblocks are and this is the big one for me.
I'm 69 in April trying to learn cad has been kicking my ass. Got back into modeling, but going for realistic 1/35 scale zombie/apocalypse dioramas and not the Mad Max look. After watching more than one YT video on resin printers, bit the bullet, buying a used Elegoo Mars P from Evilbay. But then got sick, but a few months later after watching more YT videos, bought a new Elegoo Saturn resin printer. Ended up going to VA ER several weeks ago, but getting better now. Need to move stuff around in the livingroom, then pick up one of those 5 shelf shelving units, at which time I can run both at the same time. During all of this, I've downloaded for free, about 5+K of files of different things that aren't available as kits. Thing is, the majority of modern AFV's have NO interiors?! Bought 2 books for $80 total on every version of the Stryker, with LOTS of interior photos. Hope is to cad interiors for the 3 different Strykers I have...APC, command post and medical unit. What's surprised me is more modelers haven't jumped on using 3D printers. Also got a bunch of figures that I hope to modify as survivors or zombies. It's a pita to modify plastic figures and resin ones go for about $7-$8 each. But I'm retired, so got time on my hands.

Latest posts

Back