Academy 1/48 MiG-29

yanpol

Hi everyone, for my first post here, I'm showing the first model I've built in more than 20 years (I finished it yesterday). My previous models (when I was 13/14 years old) were built in a weekend and painted with a brush. Filling gaps and sanding were alien concepts to me. I didn't even know that decal setting solutions existed.
In this build I tried to apply everything I learnt as an armchair modeler. This is the first time I used an airbrush and tried to weather a model (actually got a little carried away while weathering it). I also did some (very limited) panel rescribing and scratchbuilding (the nose pitot tube, after I broke it for the umpteenth time).
The kit is OK, although the nose section required a lot of work, this is where I had to do most of the rescribing after filling and sanding. Also, the plastic is very soft, it's almost impossible to remove the smallest parts from the sprue tree without breaking them. Even though this kit doesn't require expert skills by any means, it may not be the best one for a noob modeler like me to start with.
The kit was built out of the box.
The next one will be better I hope.

1_zps6596ca1f.jpg

2_zps024ec6c3.jpg

3_zps82a4a090.jpg

4_zpsb2529fa4.jpg

5_zps6f3cd2d6.jpg

6_zpsd19b36ca.jpg

7_zpsac59fc9f.jpg

8_zps0e775e69.jpg

9_zps0685dd75.jpg

That is just awesome. Great job! I have the Academy Slovak Mig-29 in my stash. I will get to it eventually. But anyway, what a great kit to get back into the hobby. ;D

Thank you very much guys. Dkev, this guy's build is a must read if you're building Academy´s MiG-29:

http://vodnik.republika.pl/pages/mig29/mig29.htm

If there's a single advice I would give to anyone starting this kit, it's to glue the upper front and after sections of the fuselage, as opposed to building the front and after sections and then gluing them together.

WOW !! For your first in 20 years thats impressive !! cant wait to see what you produce with a few more kits under yer belt ...great work , and welcome to SMA ;)

Chris.

ridgers22 said:
For your 1st one in 20 years i must say some fantastic work there :)
Chris S said:
WOW !! For your first in 20 years thats impressive !! cant wait to see what you produce with a few more kits under yer belt ...great work , and welcome to SMA ;)

Chris.

Thank you guys, I'll be posting a F-16 build I have already started, hope there's some improvement there.

Looks great! I too just got back into the hobby and have a similar paint job coming up. How did you mask for the camo or is it freehand?

Very nice work, you efforts paid off well. Neat to see a MiG-29 in German markings, almost forgot the East Germans had them before the Wall came down and Germany was re-united.
Do they still fly them or have they phased them out? I guess I could easily just look that up.
Happy modeling! :)

Thanks again for your comments!

eightfooticeman: I use tracing paper on the model to draw a pattern, then I use that pattern to cut masking tape to shape, apply it, and very carefully lift the edges (if I'm not explaining myself very well, please let me know).

Mr.Max: I think the Germans sold the MiG's to Poland in the early 2000's.

Latest posts

Back