About primer

rdk2277

I'm still relatively new to the hobby and have never used primer before. Could someone tell me the benefits, how to use, when to use etc..

Primer is good for providing a uniform, paint friendly surface prior to airbrushing/ brush painting.

I recommend Tamiya primer for priming detailed parts. It is expensive but it is highly atomised (fine) and will not smother intricate detail.

A tip for using primer. After shaking, submerge the can in warm water. This will increase pressurisation and thus increase atomisation.

Automotive primer is available from most hardware stores, but some brands are very thick and tend to smother detail.

Chas ;)

Like Chas said; and a primer is almost mandatory if you use photo etch and or resin. It will give a surface for further coats of paint to adhere in the case of metal parts and a uniform surface, bring all in, on the plastic-resin.
Tamiya is good, I use it. I have heard good about Mr. Primer but it is not available anywhere near me.

It also really helps pop your sanding and filing work on seems. You will be able to see exactly what the paint will show, but still be able to easliy sand through it to touch up any areas that need it.

just shake the snot out of the can of primer b4 spraying, i mean really shake it get it all mixed up real real good. but yes it will help ur other paint stick to whatever ur paint on. just a good step to take, u might get away without it but might not..

Hey guys!
Me and spray cans don't get along. Is there any kind of primer you're aware of that would be good through and airbrush?

YOu could use Mr Surfacer (the bottled version) but be sure to use their thinner only.

Ferris, what Scott (the allmighty admin) says is the way to solve your problem!
I use Mr. Surfacer when I don't wanna use the Tamiya cans. I use them to have better control because I can spray with the a/b.
Though you have to thin them with Mr. Leveling Thinner or with Mr. Color Thinner but with the add of the retarder.
Don't use only Mr. Thinner or the normal laquer thinner or you'll clog your a/b or get a grainy surface.
Try them out correctly and you won't come back.

Another try could be Alclad grey primer....it's really a great product,cost a bit but fill the small scratches like anyone else does.
I could compare it to the Mr. Surface 1000 as for "grainy" finish.

I personally use the 1000, then fix the scracthes and the last preparatives then use the 1200 and polish a bit with a 12000 grit sandpaper or a cotton shirt (old preferably LOL LOL)

Cheers and hope it helped!

I think it all depends on where you are located.
mr. Surfacer is not available in europe and they can be pretty difficult when importing paints etc. these days, so you'll have to look for something else if you live in europe.

Schmincke has a realy good clear primer for plastic and metal that is especialy made for airbrush.
You can mix it with their "Aero colors" to make your own color primer, or use it as a clear primer.
It's a primer for acrylic paints. It's called: "Aero grund" and is available in 125 and 250 ml bottles.

Schminke also makes fluid medium to make your own acrylic paint and the satin and matt fluid medium make pretty good dullcoats. :)

Kitty said:
I think it all depends on where you are located.
mr. Surfacer is not available in europe and they can be pretty difficult when importing paints etc. these days, so you'll have to look for something else if you live in europe.

Dude, I have no problem at all importing Mr. Color paints.
I know that is a problem only if you live in England but that's all!!!
I had never a prob...

Cheers

I personally use Tamiya Fine White primer for my models. I start with the rattle can for the first aplication.

This stuff:
http://store.spruebrothers.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=sbm&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=578334987&Count2=495475411&Keyword=tamiya+fine+white+primer&Target=products.asp

Then I go back and fix any imperfections that the primer shows. Once that is done I airbrush the sanded areas with the bottled version thinned with automotive grade acrlyic lacquer thinner.

This stuff:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=87075
Thinned with this stuff:
http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq139/icekj/kits/100_0327.jpg

I do go back and hit the whole thing with some 2000 grit wet sandpaper to take out any roughness or chunks.

This has worked well for me but it did take some trial and error to get there.

HTH and God Bless,

Ken

i found tamiya primers the best
i normally buy mine from modelsforsale.com for people in the UK, halfords primeres are good but i dont think there as fine as tamiyas

hey folks!
What about if you don't have primer? I live in a place where the shops simply dont sell primer and I don't have a credit card to buy it online. Can I just thin normal paint and use it as primer? Any body has any idea on the ratio of paint to thinner to do this?

I don't think that would be the same ,, that would be more like a base coat.

primer is somewhat absorbent and leaves a finish that paint can grip to. also most primers sand very nicely.
Depending on the paint,very thin paint will not sand near as well.

not all is lost , a thin base coat has it's purposes as well and could substitute for primer in some cases.
and I have seen people using paint to bring out sanding marks and errors.Grendels for example check out his 747 build.

My personal favourite is Rustoleum Painter's Touch Spray Primer.
Rust-Oleum-1980830-rw-204707-313621.jpg

It has a very fine texture, even spray pattern and is wet/dry sandable. I normally use the gray colour, but it also comes in white and black.

Easliy found at most hardware/home stores.

marcoman84 said:
hey folks!
What about if you don't have primer? I live in a place where the shops simply dont sell primer and I don't have a credit card to buy it online. Can I just thin normal paint and use it as primer? Any body has any idea on the ratio of paint to thinner to do this?

As has already been mentioned, primer is not thinned paint or simply paint without pigment, it is actually a bit different and serves a specific purpose.

I have painted plenty of models in the past not using primer without incident, so if you have absolutely no options you can still paint. At the very least, you could get something like a flat black color at the shop and use that as your primer coat?

Nothing says you have to buy your primer at a hobby shop....head into your local DIY store...Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Should be able to find primer in their paint department.

Latest posts

Back