ABC War Robot from Judge Dredd (awful) movie

YOULI

That which does not kill us makes us stronger !
It's the genuine kit, a soft vinyl kit i got years ago (no one care about, bought it for a fair price).

Did it quick and easy, with dry-brushing, washes, inks, Citadel and Prince August paints...
Really happy with the eyes, and the rusty look without even using pastels or powder from Tamiya or Vallejo.

Just added details on the tracks, pipes and cables just enough to forget about the Soft vinyl nature of this figure.

On the workbench...

Dans mes mimines

On black background.

Some last pictures... Still need to work on mechanical details at the rear of the feet.

I loved the 2000AD comic, still got my collection in safe keeping. ;)

Thats a great job on that ABC warrior......and yes Judge Dredd was a trebbile film. ::)

TTFN Matt

Thanks...

It's funny to watch people wondering what kind of robot it is in Local Exhibition.
Some call it a "Transformer", other thinks that's a WHK model, and some KNOWS that's the ABC War robot.

It had certainly found a way in people mind's.

Tharg note: That is awesome!!! :)

I'm more a fan of 2000AD than the film but I like the look of this version and you've done a beautiful paint job.

Bot's looking good.
Can't speak to the movie as I've never forced myself to sit through it.

How many movies are bad and their robots are good ? :D

THink about Red Planet, instantly.

8) Nice job man !!!

I have this ABC WarHammer and Loved it.... The Movie to !!! it's not bad !
it holds its grounds to many other COMICS to FILM conversions..... others made later were far worse.

I wanted to make the Eyes glow but in mine but.... Nha ! maybe next time ?

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u255/schweinhund227/Meet%20the%20Herd/VynilABCRobot.jpg

I filled mine with Plaster of Paris to give it some weight and added Brass Rods in the Arms... to help it keep it UP !

I might build a Base for it ... in the distant future !!!

later buddy and

NICE JOB Again !!!

That's terrific! I have seen this movie, but for some reason I've wiped it from my memory. Mind you, there are worse films out there. Much worse.

I do remember this guy from the film though. Definately Terminator-esque in its design. Pretty darn mean though.

Great job!

Thanks guys ! :D

And what am I hearing ?
"I AM SANTA !"

Oh ho ! :D

Great looking build and paint. The weathered, battered and damaged metallic look works well.
Yours too, schweinhund227.

How did the kit go together? Clean fit or lots of gaps and filling?

Vinyl kits were the final frontiers back in the late 80's and 90's and soon died after....

Resin casting killed that market quickly ! They are still around and can be found but expect the expected! They are a Niche in the Huge Realm of Scale Models...

Vinyl; like "Resin" has a memory..... Fashionning and massaging with HOT water and Freezing
In shape.... With COLD water help shaping and setting Vinyl figures to their intended shape...If needs be?

Some pack the insides with plastic bags (grocery style ) to add some strengthening .... I personally fill them with Plaster of Paris (equivalent) gives them weight....

It's an older Medium and it's Flaws can be its Strongpoints.... You decide! Stay away from the copies
They're wht killed the industries... And are most of the time pretty bad copies!

Look for the real deal in Model shows! You might find them intriguing ? Or fascinating !

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u255/schweinhund227/vinyl%20figures/DSC04450.jpg

I am still learning from them.....

Norm.

Best of luck in 2012! I hope you make the jump!

Before I've got enough money to buy Resin (original ones most of the time, I usually buy what I can find in local stores first and then bought on Ebay some B-club and Kaiyodo or even Rettpu Resin kits), I bought a lot of Soft vinyl kit. They were cheap, and easy to assemble... But first they were bigger and easier to find back in the 90's.

That's how I got Dragon Ball figures, Five Star Stories (Led Mirage), ED-209 from Robocop, Patlabor kits (Griffon, Zero, Ingram 1, 2 and 3, Brokken, Helldiver), Dirty Pair, 3X3 eyes, Gundam, Gunbuster, Nadia, Ah My goddess, You're Under Arrest, and so on...

Never added plaster in it. Some times some weights in the feet, and most of the time a drop of glue here and there but the good kit is one you can assemble with big part one in another.
The big challenge is to paint it, for it's a "soft" vinyl you know. The matter is modified by heat for example. Never use ENAMEL paints on those. NEVER. It didn't even dry.
Always Acrylics, and my experience dictate me that Vallejo and for instance Prince August paints are the best for Soft VInyl (It's vynilic paints all right), or maybe Citadel / Games workshop.
You can only glue with Crazy glue or maybe two composant (Epoxy ?)... The worst case scenario is when you have to glue together a white metal part (with more details but easily wrapped) and soft vinyl. The metal part is too heavy... Choose to replace it with plastic, or if you have the skills, make a copy with resin.

All in all if you have the opportunity to find Soft Vinyl kits (originals, copies are the worst thing you can work with, believe me, I tried, it's cheap, but it's a massacre !) just do it ! It's worth the building, and mostly not time consuming (1 or 2 days of work, building and painting along).

Latest posts

Back