A Sow's Ear

ShutterAce

OK people, here's one I just finished yesterday.

The 1/48 ESCI P-36a

DSCF2013web.jpg

DSCF2010web.jpg

DSCF2014web.jpg

DSCF2011web.jpg

This scheme is based on the many war games camo schemes used on the P-36 and other U.S. Army aircraft prior to the Second World War. This does not represent any particular real aircraft. They were hand/brush painted and the color was water based and theoretically removable if my memory is correct.

Funny story, I took it to my clubs in house competition last night for our 1930's theme. After the judging we all stand up and tell a little bit about the models. The judge cut me off mid sentence after I said it was an ESCI kit and said "Oh my, and you actually built it!" Apparently he had never seen anyone who had actually finished one. LOL It really wasn't that bad and looks pretty good if I do say so myself. It really helped me grow my gap filling skills. And I mean that as a good thing. I tend to stick with the Tamigawa stuff because I like to get a nice model on the shelf quickly but these older kits are a lot of fun too.

Seems unusual to camo the bottom of the plane, but it looks good.
Needs markings, though. Makes it look kind of plain

Thanks for the comments.

The markings are under the paint. Underneath it's natural metal. Once the wargames were over they washed off the camo and went back to the NMF. There was agroup that went to the 1939 Cleveland Air Races and those planes had the squadron emblem on the fuselage side. Other than that, nada.

Just a suggestion - dont know whether you'll use it, Re: Quaralane, you could mabye wear the paint around and ontop of the markings to show them through, subtly thouhg, so mabye practice first!

MilitaryAircraft101 said:
Just a suggestion - dont know whether you'll use it, Re: Quaralane, you could mabye wear the paint around and ontop of the markings to show them through, subtly thouhg, so mabye practice first!

I doubt that would be realistic given the conditions. This paint was slopped on by hand and therefore was a bit thick. It was then stripped off after the war games were over, within a week or two I would guess.

Who knows?

Latest posts

Back