A pair of Enterprises

Hey everybody,

Well my next projects are going to be the B and the TOS Enterprise. I contemplated doing both builds under one topic but some may want to follow one over the other. For the 1/350 TOS Enterprise I am building it straight out of the box, with the lighting kit. No photo etch sorry (although it looks nice!!!). Pictures and videos coming soon.......

Hey again!

So this is going to be the build log for one of my two next projects. I am building the older AMT Ent B from Generations. This is going to be the first time I make a kit for someone.

My father in law is battling cancer and we lost his mom suddenly in October. The model kit was given to him years ago and he never got back into models. So it's kind of for him but a way to remember her.

I will be using the DLM lighting parts and a new neck and lower saucer from Starship modeler. Decals will be from Acreation Models, the light board for the navs and strobes is from Trekmodeler. All the rest of the lighting will be done by me. linky's for parts:

http://www.dlmparts.com/excelsiorvoyagerds9.html

http://starshipmodeler.biz/shop/index.cfm/product/1525_38/excelsiorenterprise-b-replacement-necksaucerbridge.cfm

http://www.culttvmanshop.com/Starship-B-Aztec-decals-11000-from-Acreation_p_1186.html

http://www.trekmodeler.com/services/tm_electronics1/tm_electronics_catpage1.htm

I also got a new set of Enterprise B decals from ebay, the originals are totally useless.

Pics and videos to come!

Also does anybody know of anyone else besides laserfire creations that can make a backlit base?

I've started and stopped this model twice. I had ordered upgraded decals from DLM, but after a month, he still hadn't shipped them. So I ended up painting a lot of things. Came our pretty good. Then one of the nacelle grills was defective and had order a new part. Not a fan of acreations, but that's just me. I truly hope you have a more enjoyable experience with your build then I did.

i feel your pain about DLM I went through the same thing. I get stuff faster through cult man but sometimes DLM's main site is the only one that has them.

The Acreation decals for this ship are pretty good, but have a couple of issues. The three teal bands going around the saucer, are a little too short. They leave about 1/4" at the end. I corrected the issue by cutting three small strips from the decals they give you for the warp engines and patched them in. It was barely noticeable after the fact. When I did mine, it was before they revised them for the round 2 enterprise, so I'm not sure if they changed the darker parts for the warp nacelles, they are a little short as well, but don't stand out as being terrible I guess. I sanded off all the panel lines on mine since the original studio model barely has any, and it looked much better. To me anyways

finishedenterpriseb.png

enterpriseb-1.png

IMG_20111212_175739.jpg

For the longer decals, since they're often really narrow as well, I just found it easier to let the decal soak until it came off the backing, and float the decal into place with the part in the water. I used a baking sheet when I did them. I think I actually used both solvaset and microsol/microset, both work great, and then the final model was sprayed with testors dullcoat.

If you have any problem with me posting pics, I will gladly remove them.

She looks great, and why would you think any of us would have an issue with you posting pix....Isn't that what it's all about?
;D ;D ;D

ModelMakerMike said:
She looks great, and why would you think any of us would have an issue with you posting pix....Isn't that what it's all about?
;D ;D ;D

Thanks man, I just didn't want to crash the guys thread is all.

Excellent work on her.

And, in answer to the pics question:
There are some sites that do not allow posting the pics themselves, instead allowing only links to the pics

so, I decided it would be best to start with the shuttlebay. The light kit came with replacement sides and top to allow light to pass through. I found an issue with the ridged texture on the back of the sides coming through the windows so I took care of that with some sanding. There are pour marks right next to the windows that have to be dealt with, but they are kinda hard to see when it is together so it may be best to just pre assemble after you do your light blocking. here are some photos. I also put the shuttle together, won't be lighting it though.

IMAG0177_zps74d1625e.jpg

IMAG0176_zps9ea11a42.jpg

windows are rough eh? lol I'll clean that up

Windows are a bit rough indeed (though I only saw that after you mentioned it :p), but it0s shaping up nicely.

Like how the lighting is working on this so far.

As far as the B hull goes, step at the front is by design. It's supposed to be there.
Was there on the Excelsior as well

Latest posts

Back