A.C Moore and Michaels

pa3de8

Just returning to the hobby! Wish me luck!
I didn't see it posted anywhere here but some time ago I found at A.C. Moores and Michaels, for those who don't have any near you they are craft stores, that you can by already cut plaque making wood in various sizes and shapes and they are relatively cheap. Under $5.00 each. They are great for making smaller dioramas and vignettes. They come unfinished but you can finish them yourself. I bought a bunch of them and have them sitting in the closet. Work well for what I need it for.

Scott

Micheal's is a great source for base making materials. I always get my general purpose hobby supplies from there. You are right about the pre-cut bases. They are all over the store. The last one I bought from there was meant to be a base to make your own clock. It worked perfect for my needs. The only thing that irritates me about the Micheal's in my town is that it is always really busy/crowded. This place gets packed out every weekend which is the only time I can go.

I never really looked in one of the dollar stores for anything like that but I spent some much time in those craft stores that one day I just stumbled upon the plaques and the light bulb went off!

Scott

Micheal's is a great store if you sign up or get the fliers in the paper you can get some great deals like 40-50% off models paint pretty much anything, and yes the dollar stores like dollar giant have lots of good base making things to.

I will have to look as we have Dollar General and Everything for a Dollar chains here in North Carolina.

Scott 8)

pa3de8 said:
...Under $5.00 each. They are great for making smaller dioramas and vignettes.

Heck, most of 'em are a buck apiece ;) I agree, great source for cheap plaques, I do the same thing, buy a stock of them to have on hand.

I like Michael's 40% sales, too. You don't necessarily need the flyer or a coupon, usually things are marked down.

I like to get the smaller display cases from sales at Michael's, too. The football (American football, for our Commonwealth cousins) case is a good size to display 54mm figures, or other models. I stocked up on those, and the baseball bat display boxes.

Michael's, AC Moore and HobbyLobby are all good places to find modeling supplies, and odds and ends that can be used for modeling (need Greek columns, for example? Michael's carries Wilton cake accessories, including columns in three sizes for wedding cakes).

I forgot all about Hobby Lobby. There is one near me in Raleigh. Wil have to go check it out. I do remember seeing the ones you were talking about Baron for a buck. They were the smaller ones.

Scott

I stand corrected, there isn't a Hobby Lobby near me in Raleigh. Closest one is either near Rocky Mount or Wilson or Fayetteville I believe.

Scott

Hit both their web sites on Sunday mornings. They post printable coupons that are good either all week or on select days. They always have one for 40% or 50% off a single item. Print out one a day and stock up!

pa3de8 said:
I do remember seeing the ones you were talking about Baron for a buck. They were the smaller ones.

I got two smaller plaques, one circular, about 5" across, and the other oblong, to make carrier deck display bases for my 1/72 USN aircraft. I have PE for the tie-downs, and I used wooden coffee stirring sticks for the deck planks.

I've got a couple of larger oblong plaques stowed away for bases for my USS Pennsylvania and Essex builds.

Great source, those arts-and-craft stores!

Don't forget the cabinet shops in town guys. They will have plenty of blanks (drawer faces) in their scrap bins and will usually part with them for under a buck, most often pennies on the dollar. If you have a table saw and wood butcher tools you can size them yourself or the shop carpenter will do it for you cheap. They love to sell their scrap. I've found some expensive wood chunks in the scrap bins and took a router to them, works great.

Cheers, Ski.

Latest posts

Back