A.A. Land Rover TUM G.S. Hard-Top

multicam

Allright guys, I’ve been working on this off and on for a couple of weeks in between other things, so I thought I’d finally start a new thread. Here it is.
DSCF7048.jpg
It’s my first venture into the “full resin kit” world and other than the springs on the chassis, it hasn’t been too menacing.
DSCF7049.jpg
The directions are a little irritating and take major concentration not to foul up. :(
DSCF7050.jpg
The chassis and most undercarriage parts are all white metal for this particular kit. They are also all separate pieces, which is a real challenge to keep square. ( I got the A.A. Wolf W.M.I.K. kit also and it has a one piece resin chassis, so apparently A.A. has listened to the complaints on this separate piece chassis issue)
DSCF5431.jpg
The detail, however, is pretty outstanding though it took some time to clean up some mould lines and flash.
DSCF5433.jpg
The Chassis springs are a nightmare! You have to hold pressure on the too powerful springs while holding about six other points of pressure while waiting for your CA glue to cure, which then doesn’t hold… Yikes, it was a pain.
DSCF5481-1.jpg
DSCF5484-1.jpg
Oh yeah, and there is another set….
DSCF7051.jpg
That being said, the resin pieces come off of the “sprues” rather easily and require minimal clean-up. They also affix quite nicely with CA glue to both other resin and the white metal.
All in all, this has been a fun build so far and I’m looking forward to detailing one of my favorite vehicles! ACW as always! :)

Neat! I (my family) have been using landrovers since the 50's, I think we may have had nearly every major model lol. I live near a garrisson town so our local landrover dealership has tons of ex army ones all the time. Cool stuff I'll be staying tuned ;D

Nice work Nate :) ..looks like a fiddly little sucker ;D Keep at it .

Chris.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments! I'm truly jealous, merseajon. I saw an old 109 here the other day and thought about selling my house;). We only see the new "pretty" discovery's( And theyre ridiculously over priced) Defenders are rare.

Allright fellas, small update. My apologies on the time between posts. Busy with my kids' softball, baseball, and T-ball. :) I did a lot of clean-up to some of the big parts on this and that took some time. But I got seats in and all the gear shifter thingamajiggies on the floorboard installed.
DSCF7121.jpg
DSCF7120.jpg
Also, got the pedals and steering wheel installed on the dash. Pedals were no small feet (never mind the pun). What is with CA glue? Sometimes, it hardens so fast you can't work quick enough, then when you want it to be quick, you have to hold the gas pedal for 5 minutes!
DSCF7115.jpg

Also got the engine knocked together. I have to say, this is a pretty cool kit. The detail is great.
DSCF7118.jpg
DSCF7117.jpg
DSCF7119.jpg
I gotta fix the plug wires, they were being difficult so I set it aside for when I'm more patient:). Let me know what you think. Cheers

Nice work! Do the driver a favour eh and leave the door off! I pretty much have to drive ours around with the window down, the steering wheel is so far over you can't turn the wheel lol. Trying to reverse my boat in the water in a wet suit while turning the wheel frantically, banging my elbow against the window was a real joy :p

I got a little bit more done on this one. I got the transmission and drive shafts installed (after dry fitting engine to check for square).
DSCF9018.jpg
DSCF9019.jpg
I also got the rear seats installed and the front left quarter attached.
DSCF9003.jpg
Love the PE stuff that came with this kit. The straps are cool.
DSCF9004.jpg
Did more PE work on the rear . I’m gonna have to invest in one of the bender tools, cuz just bending this edge was a little tedious and I was constantly afraid of c$%king it up. Turned out ok though.
DSCF9017.jpg
DSCF9013.jpg
DSCF9006.jpg
Also put a couple bits in the engine compartment (windshield washer fluid container) and that other little round thingie ☺. You have to wait on the other front quarter and grill installation because you have to put the engine in first(and I want to paint it☺. In order to do that , I have to mount the body on the chassis and judging by my dry fit today it’s no Tamiya kit.
DSCF9020.jpg
Setting this aside for today and will tackle it again soon. Let me know what you think. Cheers.

Allright guys, here’s a quick update. I was excited to get some work done on this today and then ended up spending an hour trying to figure out how to put together the etch rifle rack because the instruction photo was blurry/small/unclear and the written instructions were nay impossible☺. So, I spent too much time searching the internet in vain for the image I had seen the day before, but didn’t save☹. So, I winged it and it will look fine, but gave up after that for fear of smashing this expensive kit into a thousand pieces while practicing (with great passion, mind you) my not-to-be-shared-at-the-dinner-table-with-grandma vocabulary! Voila.
DSCF1046.jpg
I installed the seatbelts, the rifle rack (hmmmm, hummm), the fire extinguisher, the seatbelt clasps/recievers?, and the bar/handle thingie between the seats on the console/floorboard.
DSCF1046-1.jpg
DSCF1049-1.jpg
Also added some bit to the hood/bonnet. Tools and spare tire holder and empty straps on the front. Teeny ,weeny, fiddly, photo etch☺, hence the glue all over the place…
DSCF1051-1.jpg
DSCF1054.jpg
I don’t intend to come off as frustrated, just venting. This has been a fun build but it has had it’s moments. I’ll be back at it again tomorrow. Let me know what you think☺ Cheers.

i really liked their centuriion recovery tank that one looked pretty cool

04svt: Yeah, they've got a lot of kits that appeal to me, particularly their soft skins and I'd love to do all their rover variants, but they are a little pricey. I've got their Wolf WMIK kit to do in the future though:)

Joey: It is a cool kit, and I'm digging the build:). These particular instructions are a little vague however, and that causes me a little stress from time to time. But, I suppose it's just another learning experience that will simply make me a better all around modeler;)

MULTICAM ,

Cool Truck ! I've never actually seen any one build an Accurate Armor kit. This is COol !! Great job on th Resin Kit ! I've always shied away from them ... Some are notoriously Bad .... This one looks like it goes together great !!

Rock-On !!

Latest posts

Back