42nd Highland Infantry Regiment "Black Watch" at the Battle of Waterloo on June 18, 1815

Steve Ski

Greetings everyone.

Being new here I will start by posting what I've been working on since mid-Feb of this year. It might take some time to get the entire SBS poste in, "old school". I've never fancied layering acrylics because I've never been able to get my technique down to within acceptable results, and besides, they remind me of the old "enamel" days of the late 70's and early 80's. I started working with oils in the late 80's, early 90's and have never looked back. I will use acrylics for base coats and highly detailed items, but not as a general medium. I prefer to blend, not layer. Everyone has their own preference, oils are mine. As long as we're "sniffin paint and gluin our fingers together", we're good, right? Ok, here goes,......

54mm Resin, Sculpted by Vladimir Danilov, offered by Castle Miniatures.

_DSC03-vi.jpg

Like a fish out of water I am completely out of my element starting this set. The Battle of Waterloo is not my normal area of study, nor are the bright and brilliant colors something I'm use to painting. In fact, I've never done anything so elaborate or complex as this set of figures in such tight proximity to each other, or this color scheme. The sculpting is really impressive, to say the least. I can only hope I do it justice in the end.

So, rather than dip my big toe in the pool, I dove right into the deep end, head first. What else was I gonna do? I felt drawn to this set as soon as I saw it offered. It was a serious toss up over a few days of angst as to whether I would build a 1/35th​ scale UH-1N with a weapons load crew or this set of "Black Watch" figures at Waterloo. I had both scenarios laid out on the bench as I pondered each. Once my mind was made up it was straight off to research, and thankfully, Alexandre Khokhriakov and Castle Miniatures themselves provided plenty of study material.

I figured if I could knock out a decent rendition of a Denison Smock camo pattern, I should be able to handle the Black Watch Campbell tartan, and the battle flag, and socks. Well, we'll soon find out, won't we? HA! I've watched a few gals paint flags for miniatures on YT, they're incredible. These gals got talent, so I will be using their work as reference material on that portion of this build. This is all new to me!

Black_Watch__Campbell_tartan-vi.png
FlagB-vi.jpg

Eleven figures complete this dynamic battle scene, all cast in resin. I was impressed with how clean these figures were and the lack of any major issues to deal with. A little time spent carefully removing any seem lines or slag is all I'm finding necessary to get these figures ready for the brush. I decided to keep some kind of order with all these little parts by using a half pint mason jar crate with some added foam padding at the bottom of each divided section. I numbered these guys as they were being cleaned up and worked, just to keep track of who gets what part. So far, so good.

_DSC0375b-vi.jpg _DSC0390b-vi.jpg

After cleaning three figures I decided to get started on the flag. I wanted to work the emblems and details in between the figure clean-up, (oils take time to dry), so I can spend as much time needed to get this flag correct. There's going to be a lot of freehand work here and quite a bit of trial and error as well. I'll seal the oils on this flag in a few days when it's complete, then start laying out the emblems on both sides. This is gonna be a hoot, I can already tell. Wish me luck!

The basic layout of the colors was not too difficult, but only a matter of keeping every section in proper proportion. Tamiya's model tape really helped work around those curves. I used Vallejo's Model Colors; Red, Blue, and White acrylics for the base tones. Next was the standard oil applications of shadows and highlights. There are still a few areas of the white stripes that need attention, but this first side is pretty much complete. You can see the new palette of colors I have spread out for this project, mostly Windsor Newton oils.

_DSC0380b-vi.jpg
_DSC0383b-vi.jpg
_DSC0386b-vi.jpg

I'm actually pretty excited to be working this set, it's a challenge. How do we expand our talent, challenge the norm, work it and keep learning? And there you have it, and therefore,……….. I forge onward

More to follow soon and thanks for watchin. Cheers, Ski.

Catching up!

Three's a Charm. Piper Finished.

Here's the line up so far with the piper finished this morning. Nothing has changed in the process other than the fact that I had to fabricate the mouth piece twice. Yes, twice! I couldn't tell yah where the original went, but my first fabricated mouth piece made a distinct "ping" sound as it flew from my tweezers right at about the time I was installing it, HA! The carpet monster refused to fess up with it, so I had to make another one. So goes life in the bunker.

_DSC0592b-vi.jpg

The piper will set aside with the rest of the growing crew as I begin working the Flag Bearer.

_DSC0595b-vi.jpg
_DSC0597b-vi.jpg
_DSC0598b-vi.jpg _DSC0601b-vi.jpg

If you see anything I may have missed, sing out, I'll get after it right away. Thanks for watching.

Cheers, Ski.

Flag Bearer Finished

Finally, I can show some progress and close out the Flag Bearer. Bunker time has become a premium lately due to summer work, but we do what we can, right?

You'd think after painting four tartans by now that they would have been the toughest part, but working these long socks was no walk in the park. I had to redo the right sock twice while trying to keep the pattern straight as it wound around the leg. I sure do appreciate all the others to come, they'll be a piece of cake, lol.

Using the methods and techniques mentioned before this figure moved along much quicker, minus the socks. He really doesn't have a lot of detail to him, but the right side of the flag had to be tackled. That wasn't as difficult as before either. There are a few areas I thought were a bit off, but you'd really have to look closely to find them. So, I'm calling this figure done.

_DSC0605b-vi.jpg _DSC0621b-vi.jpg

I aplauogize for the poor photos. Trying to capture the flag with the figure will be handle differently when the final pics are taken. For now, this figure is in the curio cabinet safely tucked away until the base and weathering are done.

_DSC0609b-vi.jpg
_DSC0610b-vi.jpg
_DSC0612b-vi.jpg
_DSC0614b-vi.jpg

_DSC0616b-vi.jpg
_DSC0618b-vi.jpg _DSC0620b-vi.jpg

Thanks for watching. Cheers, Ski.

Sargent Lancer

Sgt Lancer is finally done, but it took a bit longer than expected due to other than bunker issues, i.e., outside work. Ok, no worries, we Ruck On. I really love how this resin used has made so many problems with scratch and slag just easily disappear. The rework is quite nice from a flexibility stand point, and the time involved is very short. Fix it, get er done. This really is fast becoming the best set I have ever worked. And let's just say this, working colors in the arena has been a challenge, but a fun run, to say the least. And no, I won't be making a habit of it any time soon, HA!

_DSC0633b-vi.jpg

Please disregard the resin visible on his boot, it got rubbed off, even after a dull coat and several days drying time. Why does it always happen during the photo sessions? Who knows, but it does, HA! T'sall good, it'll get taken care of in short order.

_DSC0625b-vi.jpg

_DSC0626b-vi.jpg

_DSC0629b-vi.jpg

_DSC0631b-vi.jpg

As you can see, nothing has changed in the process, nor has there been any major issues to deal with, so Sgt Lancer will be set aside with the other four to await the 42nd Highland Infantry Regiment "Black Watch" unit reunion. Did I mention I'm still having fun with each and every figure so far? Well, I am, and I really can't wait to tackle that drum that Drummer boy has hanging from his waist,…………..Sheesh, really, ya gotta be kiddin me, right? Ah, I dream of olive drab in my sleep,…………..

Ruck On. Thanks for watchin. Cheers, Ski.

Last edited:
Sargent Lancer

Sgt Lancer is finally done, but it took a bit longer than expected due to other than bunker issues, i.e., outside work. Ok, no worries, we Ruck On. I really love how this resin used has made so many problems with scratch and slag just easily disappear. The rework is quite nice from a flexibility stand point, and the time involved is very short. Fix it, get er done. This really is fast becoming the best set I have ever worked. And let's just say this, working colors in the arena has been a challenge, but a fun run, to say the least. And no, I won't be making a habit of it any time soon, HA!

View attachment 92525

Please don't belly ache about the resin visible on his boot, it got rubbed off, even after a dull coat and several days drying time. Why does it always happen during the photo sessions? Who knows, but it does, HA! T'sall good, it'll get taken care of in short order.

View attachment 92526

View attachment 92527

View attachment 92528

View attachment 92529

As you can see, nothing has changed in the process, nor has there been any major issues to deal with, so Sgt Lancer will be set aside with the other four to await the 42nd Highland Infantry Regiment "Black Watch" unit reunion. Did I mention I'm still having fun with each and every figure so far? Well, I am, and I really can't wait to tackle that drum that Drummer boy has hanging from his waist,…………..Sheesh, really, ya gotta be kiddin me, right? Ah, I dream of olive drab in my sleep,…………..

Ruck On. Thanks for watchin. Cheers, Ski.
That is some awesome work. At least you are not dreaming of bagpipes!!
Irishvic

Holy crap, this is looking fantastic! I definitely wouldn’t dream of taking this on. Your figure painting is spot on! How tall are the dudes? Sorry if you posted that and I missed it.

Outstanding, Steve!
Do you ever get to any of the figure shows?

Excellent work on these!

Tartans are especially tough to paint, particularly around the folds, but you nailed them

I have nightmares of painting tartans on smaller things

Sorry for the delayed response, Gents!

Thanks, Joe!!

Holy crap, this is looking fantastic! I definitely wouldn’t dream of taking this on. Your figure painting is spot on! How tall are the dudes? Sorry if you posted that and I missed it.
These figs are 54mm, no worries, thanks!

Outstanding, Steve!
Do you ever get to any of the figure shows?
Thanks, Baron. I have been to just IPMS in Seattle back in 2012, but traveling is not in the cards, just positng on line.

Excellent work on these!

Tartans are especially tough to paint, particularly around the folds, but you nailed them

I have nightmares of painting tartans on smaller things
Thank you, Blake. The "battle of the tartans" is real, and you got it, a tough battle at that, lol. My patterns are not accurate, but they will stay as is. there comes a point where ya just gotta move on, right?

Thanks, Gents!

Ah! I didn't realize you're in Washington state. Yeah, traveling is problematic these days.
I'm in Bethlehem, PA, the eastern end of the Commonwealth, and we have a good concentration of clubs and shows here in the East Coast. I belong to the MFCA, and we stage our show every year in May. The Long Island Historical Miniature Society has a show every November, the National Capital Model Soldier Society outside DC has an annual show, and Atlanta and Chicago aren't too far. Plus local IPMS shows, and historical and fantasy wargaming shows, too. So we get to see a lot of each other's work in person.
We have informal meetups, too-someone will host a small group at his home. I'm hosting a meetup on the 20th for a couple of my close friends, for example. I host in the summer, and one of the guys in the group hosts around Christmas. We'll spend the day painting and building, have something simple to eat, and drink beer. It's fun!

Sounds like a heck of a lot of fun, till the beers begin to flow, lol. I'll wait till near the end of my session before I even think of popping a bottle, my pin point accuracy begins to wane, o_O Yall are very fortunate to have everybody close by. Out in the boonies here, we send smoke signals to the guys, then weeks later we meet. That is, if everyone got the message, HA!

Travel is out because of the horses, chickens, 6 dogs, etc. It can be a challenge at times, but we love our animals:)

First Rifleman

The line-up is getting larger as time progresses. I've been behind the power curve lately, but things will pick up shortly. There are three more Highlanders to paint and two French troops left in the line-up, then the base work.

Here he is for your comments. Nothing in the process has changed from above, so we Ruck On, Bby!

Looks like these guys are getting anxious!

_DSC0640b-vi.jpg

The blood splatter and weathering will be taken care of later.

_DSC0642b-vi.jpg _DSC0645b-vi.jpg

_DSC0647b-vi.jpg _DSC0649b-vi.jpg

_DSC0652b-vi.jpg

Thanks for watching, more to follow ASAP. Cheers, Ski.

Dual to the End!

Suffering from a mild case of "burnout" on this set I was finally able to complete this latest figure. This one has a lot of action not only in his pose, but that face, sheesh! He's about the ugliest bugger in the group, but he seems to have the situation under control, lol.

He's viewed here in the upright position, but within the scene he's leaning over the French Coursier and it looks like a battle to the death. This is one of the more dynamic figures within Vladimir's set and it looks like a difficult sculpt, regardless. I really appreciate this sculpt, it's incredible in this scale and very impressive, to say the least.

Painting these figures have become routine, so if there's anything you're not sure of, check the posts above, they're all there in more detail.

_DSC0654b-vi.jpg _DSC0656b-vi.jpg _DSC0657b-vi.jpg

Looking closely, it appears I have missed filling the gaps within the arm pit, oops! No worries, that will be handle mighty right quick. The bayonet scabbard must be painted and installed as well as a layer of Dull Coat within a few days to dull down the sheen. As mentioned before all weathering and blood splatters will be done when all the figures are completed.

_DSC0659b-vi.jpg _DSC0662b-vi.jpg _DSC0665b-vi.jpg

Well, I'm down to two more "tartan" lads, so hopefully before the snow flies I'll have this beauty of a set completed. I fully expect to have the base started by mid-November. That will be fun for me, I always love doing ground work.

Thanks for watchin, comments are always welcome. If you see anything else I may have missed, please holler.

Cheers, Ski.

Rifleman

Saving the easiest one for last,….well almost last, this rifleman was very straight forward in painting. Using all the techniques as mentioned before this paint went smoothly. One change was to use a "liner" brush for the tartan black stripes, as someone had mentioned I do. I hesitated to use it, but decided; heck, there's enough room to screw this up and clean it, why not. With a little more practice I think I'll have this brush type dialed in, but there was certainly a learning curve that came with that brush. I'm now a convert! Stretch the envelope, right?

_DSC0666b-vi.jpg _DSC0668b-vi.jpg

_DSC0674b-vi.jpg _DSC0679b-vi.jpg

I hear the drums a-beating, ratta tat tat, ratta tat tat,………………… Yes, Drummer Boy is next up to bat. He's got a lot of fluff to him as well.

Now comes the sneak-peak. This really looks pretty shabby, IMHO, but when it's all painted and shaded correctly, I don't think much will be noticed. I certainly can't get that "high speed, low drag" intense brush work on this drum as others have done, but I know my limitations, and this is one of them. Who knows, when it's all said and done, I may scrub it and repaint it. It won't be the first time I've done a scrubbing, lol.

_DSC0676b-vi.jpg

Thanks for watching, all comments welcome, of course. Cheers, Ski.

Latest posts

Back