37 Ford Cabriolet

Aeroteto

I want to build this one, but I don´t know how to paint the body.
The two last bodies were in one piece, but this one have multiple pieces one including the interior floor, so I don´t know where to begin.
Any advice on this one is more than welcome!!

1-1.jpg

I turned some aluminum rod for the engine pulleys, but I can´t figure how to make the belts.
so I think i´m gonna use the kit pulley arrangement.

BSC014.jpg

Painted the transmision in aluminum, also paint the engine block to find any flaws.
The distributor cap was drilled too.
Wich is the best way to make the spark wire boots??

BSC015-2.jpg

BSC016-1.jpg

the chassis has too many sink marks, mold seams, ejector pin marks, etc.
It has to be filled, sanded and cleaned.

BSC013-2.jpg

BSC012-2.jpg

After sanding ( a lot ) discover many low spots, fill them and dry fitting the body.
Next..... more sanding!

BSC.jpg

I made another set of pulleys for this model, and delete the AC one.
I hope this set will looks better.
I´m still sanding!

BSC018-1.jpg

BSC019-1.jpg

I have some troubles with this model, the big parts have many, many ejector pin marks, and the small parts have lots of flash and even some ejector pin marks.
I never see so many ejector pin marks in a small area on any aircraft model.
I have to fill and sand too much, my dear scale car modellers you have all my respect!!
did I mention that this kit have too many ejector pin marks?

BSC021-1.jpg

Even this small area will be visible.
So sanding and cleaning is in order.

BSC029-1.jpg

Under the body there are many ejector pin marks and flash.
I have to sand a lot here.

BSC025-1.jpg

BSC028-1.jpg

Under the hood there are more work to do.

BSC026-1.jpg

I cut the gas tank to make the cleaning and paint work more easier.

BSC023-1.jpg

There are some notches that need to be filled, because I´m not planing to use the bumpers.

BSC024-1.jpg

Looking nice!! Will be following along here!! Great job on the metal work too!!! ;)

thanks guys, you´re very kind.
Ok. I glued the splash panes, the side panels and the upper body to the lower body.

BSC033-1.jpg

Almost nothing fits well in this kit.
Specially the rear of the upper body, it leaves a very notorius gap.
I use basic tamiya putty to work this out.

BSC030-1.jpg

BSC031-1.jpg

due to the bad fit the rear edges doesn´t line up well, so I add a thin plastic strip.
I glue it with super glue and then sand it to get the proper contour.

BSC032-1.jpg

Aeroteto, don't worry, not all car kits are this bad. The new Revell kits are getting really good I understand. The older kits are hit or miss. Especially the older Amt kits. Looks like you are doing a great job.

I use Tamiya putty too. I find sometimes you have to apply twice to get proper coverage.

You can make a fan belt out of masking tape (or Tamiya tape). I will often tape two peices together, cut to width and then paint flat black.

Sometimes for spark plug boots I usually just paint the base of the plug wire black. This will usually do the job at the distributor specially if there is a little glob of glue there. Sometimes you do not need anything going into the engine bock as the manifolds/headers cover them up anyway. If they are visible I will take a slightly bigger piece of wire, remove the inside wire from the insulation and stick the spark plug wire inside that. You just have to get a wire small enough to look right in scale but has a big enough inside diameter for the plug wire to fit into. I also have successfully used painted masking tape for the boot. Just wrap it around a few times to make it thicker than the plug wire.

When it comes to gaps like this. Per say you put the hood on and theres a gap. Would you just fill the gap with putty, sand it, then repaint ? How do you correct the gaps like that ? I have a Nascar model where when the hood is put on, theres a gap at the bottom left corner of where the hood meets the front quarter panels. Didnt want to do anything with it till I asked in fear of messing it up. This thread came along so figured it was perfect timing. Not trying to hijack your thread just wanted to drop this quick question in figuring you could give me some advice seeing your filling gaps and what not. Super job so far, I know Id be frustrated at this point in the build if this were my kit.

I was never a fan of this kit because of all the trouble it gives you when you work on it but you are kicking its butt. Great work and keep it going. There are some great brushed metal satin Krylon colors that would look great on the body.
DJ

Thanx Lotno! I´ll check that Krylon paint, It´s not too solvent hot?
Hey Hooterville ( I love your nick!),
If the gap is small mask around it sand to bare plastic and use putty to get the proper contour.
If the gap is big sand to bare plastic and use a styrene strip with super glue, then sand.
Repaint.
If was me, I left the model as it is now.
Hope this helps, and good luck with your project.

Ok. I use Dupli-Color sandable gray primer, and looks fine.
A couple of spots need some sanding.
I still don´t know wich color to use.

BSC036-1.jpg

BSC037-1.jpg

BSC035-1.jpg

BSC034.jpg

Latest posts

Back