1968 Corvette Roadster

Thanks for the info scaledale. Im not quite sure if Im going to put any money into this compressor. I may just buy a brand new compressor somewhere as I was just pricing Craftsman Air Compressors and it cost just as much to replace the parts I need (adding the moisture trap) then it does to buy a new one. Well Im not rocket scientist but thats just stupid to do lol. The gauges are $30 each and the Regulator is $20. Moisture trap on top of that yet and Im at $100 I can get a new compressor similar to the one I have for $120. I can goto Harbor Freight or Walmart and get one for $60-70.

Are gauges, regulators and moisture control traps all universal or do you have to purchase the specific brand of your air compressor ?

Scott,

Thats how I drain the air from my tank everytime Im finished using the air compressor. I pull on the key ring that I attached to the valve to drain the tank. That valve always stops at 20 psi. The other day when I had the paint hiccup problems I knew it was going to be a bad day as when I first started painting I had zero air coming out at all so I checked the regular gauge and it was at ZERO. I didnt touch it from the last time I painted. I set it back to 17 psi that I wanted to shoot at and went to work. Then the hiccup happened.

If you are committed to model building and don't need a general purpose compressor, go with a unit designed for airbrushing. I looked at a general one before getting a compressor a lot like the one in the link at the end of this post. Mine cost me around $150. A general purpose compressor won't give you the moisture trap you need unless you add it after the fact as an extra cost, and the specialty compressor will be a lot quieter.

No matter what you decide to do keep this in mind: you need an oil-free compressor that is piston driven, has a tank and a moisture trap. You can get diaphragm compressors but they are loud. Remember what your airbrush cost and don't cheap on the air supply. Don't break the bank, either. It's a hobby.

http://www.amazon.com/Quiet-AIRBRUSH-TANK-COMPRESSOR-FREE-HOSE/dp/B001738DXU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1361166146&sr=8-8&keywords=airbrush+compressor

Dale

I don't care how loud it is, noise is not a issue. Im in the basement of my house so you can barely hear anything. I would like to get a new compressor sooner or later specifically for air brushing but at the present thats not feasable probably so I mise well just get a new moisture trap with the regulator on like the one you showed in the photo and just deal with the tank pressure gauge showing 20 lbs when its empty at the end of the session lol. I can deal with that but I need to have a regulator that works so I know Im getting the true amount of air I set the gauge at for when spraying the airbrush. The moisture trap on the regulator like you have shown is just a added feature. Im assuming that all regulators with the moisture traps on are universal and will fit any compressor so Ill goto Amazon and see what I can find as well as maybe make a trip to Harbor Freight.

There is no way a moisture trap/regulator combo would cost that much.

Here is a 2n1 for under $25, which would replace the regulator on your compressor and give you a water trap at the same time.

http://www.amazon.com/Paasche-R-75-Regulator-Moisture-Trap/dp/B000BR2STI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361225230&sr=8-1&keywords=moisture+trap

Like I said, I wouldn't worry too much about the broken gauge on the tank, it is just there to tell you the pressure of the tank. It seems it still works, just doesn't go to 0...no big deal.

Hooterville, I think your compressor is behaving normally. I have a side release valve on my airbrush compressor. When I finished my session today I pulled it instead of using the water trap spring release to drain the pressure. Guess what the gauge went down to with a big hissssss? 20psi! Pressing the moisture trap release sent it down to zero. That red pull ring is an emergency release and doesn't seem to be an accurate device. Normal atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi, anyway (one atmosphere).

Dale

Had a pretty good evening in the work area after blowing the engine in our Durango this morning on our way to the better halves appointment this AM. Got the engine, suspension and interior done. Here are some photos.
101_0110_zpsa1c7c02f.jpg

101_0111_zpsb4515cae.jpg

101_0112_zps1f4028bf.jpg

101_0113_zpsb559617a.jpg

101_0114_zps6625d9af.jpg

101_0115_zpsd46c1a7a.jpg

Needless to say my model budget is goneeeeeeeeeeee for a while. Need to buy another vehicle as the Durango is now TOAST. They say things happen in threes. So hopefully this is the last and final setback that happens the rest of this year for me.

101_0119_zpsddfc33e5.jpg

101_0120_zps79ceabd0.jpg

101_0121_zpsca9f9317.jpg

101_0122_zpsa872362a.jpg

These photos do this paint job no justice. I mean its far from perfect but its not as bad as the light is making the paint job look.

Hoping to finish this one up tomorrow evening sometime and get started on a new Nascar build. Not sure which one yet just have to take a look and see whats up.

Looking good hooter, I'm sure your daughter will be happy with the finished product :)

Thanks guys. Did a bit more work on the M113 Tank tonight that Ian gave me for the Secret Santa. Also started another Nascar build. I try to get busy with the tank and with never working on a Military model ever, Im a bit out of my comfort zone. I start seeing pieces I have no clue what are and get chummed up, putting it away. Whats the way to break the jitters and just get on with something new in a new genre ?

Will post pics of the progress on a new thread.

Hi Hooterville. the best way to tackle a new genre to first do your research. Become familiar with what you are trying to build, read, internet. That way you will be more knowledgeable of your build.

Jim

Latest posts

Back