AMT 1970 Corvette LT-1

mustang1989

I'm still waiting on some things that are necessary to proceed with another ongoing build and I'm tired of not being able to be at the bench SOOOOO.......

I'm breaking out of the slump with a car that I've wanted to build for a very long time. A late 60's / early 70's Vette. This kit has a few pitfalls that affect the stance and wheel/ tire position but there are corrections that can be made and I'll be pointing those out. I'll be painting this one Brockhampton Blue and we'll be retaining the LT-1 350 small block for the car. The only external changes that'll be made are to the stance and wheel locations and I'll be going with BF-Goodrich T/A radials.

With that being said.....LET'S GO!!!

X1CoXJ.jpg

Got the long block assembled and all parts cleaned up for black basing and we'll start shooting color on these pieces after that. We'll be going with Bridgehampton Blue from MCW for the color on this one.

EAcGDq.jpg

I started the engine painting process by black basing everything. For me it's easier to go dark to lighter shades than it is light to darker shades. Plus there's some shadowing effects that can be carried out on the engine block and heads this way and it also makes a good base for the aluminum and steel colored parts to bring out more realism in the metal effects.

ukeHvC.jpg

I just bought this model. Haven't built a car since childhood. (I prefer aircraft and ships). Why did you paint the oil pan and intake manifold separate, and not glue them on the block first?
Won't they both be the same color as the block?

I just bought this model. Haven't built a car since childhood. (I prefer aircraft and ships). Why did you paint the oil pan and intake manifold separate, and not glue them on the block first?
Won't they both be the same color as the block?
Thanks for the response bud and I had forgotten that I posted this build here so thank you for the reminder. The oil pan is the same color as the block and you're probably right. I could get by with assembling the completed long block and painting up the whole thing. The intake.....well... that gets a little different treatment. That gets painted up using aluminum color and then a ever so slight dry brushing of ground up black pastel. Exhaust manifolds get painted with steel and get a heavier dry brushing of the ground up black pastel. I've actually got this build mostly completed after dang near 9 months of building.
Completed engine bay:

2023-12-01 003.JPG

Wow! That looks quite realistic! Nice work...the heater hoses etc., are they scraps of wire? or some kind of custom parts?

Latest posts

Back