10,000 hour rule

Junkie

Just came across this recently and thought we all should read it. Of course this isn't Gospel, but it does make sense and I'm sure someone researched it.

What Is the 10000 Hour Rule?
The 10000 Hour Rule is just that. This is the idea that it takes approximately 10000 hours of deliberate practice to master a skill.

For instance, it would take 10 years of practicing 3 hours a day to become a master in your subject. It would take approximately 5 years of full-time employment to become proficient in your field. Simply work out how many hours you have already achieved and calculate how far you need to go. You should be aiming for 10000 hours.

So...next time you're beating yourself up because your builds or finishes aren't perfect...just breathe and consider the hours you've advanced towards 10,000. Keep at it.

SOURCE: http://www.squidoo.com/10000-hour-rule

MORE: http://www.google.ca/search?q=10+000+hour+rule&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

10,000 hour rule

LOL. You'll get there.

I've done some quick math in my head....and I think I'm somewhere between 200 and 500 hours....

Still a long way to go...but it's nice to know that it's totally EXPECTED of me to botch things up.

I paint armor, starships and miniatures. I got to do 30,000 hours!?!?!?!? AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

In my opinion we never stop learning . Tools ,techniques and products keep evolving ,so we need to keep learning how to get he best from them . On average I get at least 10 hours modelling a week ....over about 20 years(or maybe slightly more ::) ) thats at least 10,400hrs ....and I still got a lot to learn :eek:

Chris.

that would explain why you can paint a the return address on the back of a flea..

;D but you do have a point your always going to learn somthing new, same as any trade

Very interesting rule...maybe that is why some of us have more than one of the same kit in our stash???

Probably one of the reasons.

And I agree that we always learn...or should.

Read another good quote from Einstein, something along the lines of:

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't know it well enough yet."

Is'nt that the bloke that said ' E=MC sq ' ???

Chris.

yes so if your stressed out about not being as good a modeler as someone ells and have only been building for 2 years like me, don't get stressed out.

this is defiantly true.. I have spent 5 years as a truck driver at 12 hours a day 6 days a week. It was absolutely terrifying the first 3 years. now after 5 years I have a blast and actually enjoy finding myself in the most difficult situations such as trying to do a 90 degree blindside back across a busy street. I can drive a semi better and with more agility than i can operate a car

The concept is one that has almost died out, in Western Culture. Ever since the 60s, the focus has been on youth, and on instant gratification. The concept of studying something for a long time, to acquire skill and knowledge, is almost ignored, even if the real world actually demands long study or training or practice.

It's bound up with a theme you find in our most ancient stories, and the concept of the hero, who learns from his elders, before he can accomplish his task. Whether it's the Hildebrandtslied, or the tales of King Arthur, or Star Wars and The Karate Kid, the concept is the same.

Now if I could only find an old modeling wizard, who could take me on as his apprentice....

Sounds about right. My electrical apprenticeship took 9000 hours. It was about 2 years after I got licenced to feel totally comfortable in the trade. So I am talking 10000 plus hours.

Even 6 years later there is still lots to learn.

Jeff

Back