1/72 WWII Prop Questions

nicholassagan

sippin on gin + juice
So I've been doing a little research and need your guys opinions. There are some WWII props I am developing some interest in...but 1/72 is one of my favorite scales so it's harder to get detail normally found on a 1/48 or 1/32. Someday I'll get there but not now...

So these are the props I'm interested in modeling. Engraved panels are a must, rivets and available aftermarket a plus...

P-51D
I have a Tamiya kit on the way but I'm curious about the Academy kits or even a Hasegawa...
Me262
Good things have been said about the most recent Revell Germany kit, with the exception of the canopy. But I'm also curious about the Academy and Hasegawa kits as well.
BF 109
Revell? Academy? Old Hasegawa??? No clue where to start.

So you've probably guessed that I've seen Red Tails recently... :p

For 109's I can recommend ICM , they do both 1/48 & 1/72 and are great little kits ...cheap too :) ...'new ' Revell kits are quite good too .

Chris.

The revell Me 262 is pretty good if you can get a nice Vac-formed canopy. I have a Tamiya 1:72 spitfire, it looks great; I would imagine their P-51, FW 190 and BF 109 would also be good. Not sure if you are interested but Eduard has a great Wildcat in 1:72, and will be releasing an all new BF 110 also in 1:72. Dragon has some nice German fighters in 1:72 also...

From my own experience, stay away from the Italeri P-47N in 1:72.

JMac

So I went on a little spree...so far I've picked up these all in 1/72

Academy Bf109E 3/4 - good kit in terms of detailing, still needs rivets, cockpit work and more. good for a 1st 109.
Tamiya P-51D - very nice kit. dont have any other 51ds to compare it to but theres almost no need. :)
Revell Me262 - newer tool, liking it so far but will definitely need rivets

coming soon
Tamiya Spitfire MkVb - have heard good things, sprue shots look really good
Tamiya Bf109E 3 - have heard good things
Airfix Bf109G-6 (new tool) - have heard mixed things....will have to see for myself
Academy Bf109G-6 - will be nice to compare it to the Airfix kit
and a bid on an old Hasegawa Bf109E

I also have some TechMod 109 decals as well as PE coming for most of these....But thoughts on these kits? I mean they'll be in the stash either way, I just want to know what to look out for...

I think if I ever do start getting into 1/48 or larger, the Eduard kits will probably be prime picks....unless I can be convinced otherwise. :)

Rule of thumb is that you can't go wrong with TamiGawa. As far as Revell's Me262 goes i built it and yeah, like it's been said, it's a nice model but canopy is rubbish... Academy P-51D - built that one too, recessed panel lines, nice detail for 72, not too many parts, all in all - very nice model and cheap (can't really compare cuz it's the only P-51D i've built).

IMHO for riveting i suggest you find reference photos for concrete bird - not all of them had pronounced rivets, especially in 72nd scale...

Academy P-51D i built earlier this year:
http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/index.php/topic,5192.msg82458.html#msg82458

Cheers!

Overall you cant go wrong with Tamiya's Warbird series. Airfix however has been making some nice 1/72 stuff lately including an about to be released P-51D that is about the best I've seen in that scale.

Last night the itch got too great so I started building my first 109...the Academy E 3/4. I guess I knew but didn't fully realize how TINY props are in 1/72. I now have my eye on the Eduard 1/48s... :)

Anyway, I really like the little Academy kit...the fit is awesome, detail is pretty good. I had to fill and sand the seam on the bottom of the fuselage but that's about it. Trumpeter's rivet tool also came in handy so I need to be careful not to get too thick with my painting...I'll post a thread on it when it's all buttoned up...

Latest posts

Back