1:72 StuG 40 Ausf.G diorama

Inchigh

I will be building a small diorama around the 1:72 scale StuG 40 Ausf.G from Revell. Its a kit i have built before (see http://inchighslittleworld.blogspot.com/2010/12/172-stug-40-by-revell.html) so doing this WIP thread will not only track my progress but also dispell any suggestion that im doing a repaint! :p

As you can see the sprues are still in the bag, and i also have brass-etched shürzen from a StuG IV kit from Dragon (the Revell kit has no shürzen for some strange reason),so its a minor kitbash of sorts

StuG40kit.jpg

I made a good start today, lower hull and running gear

StuG2.jpg

47 parts there (road wheels, drive sprockets, idlers and return rollers are all 2-part)

Next job is the link-and-length tracks (a fairly tricky operation in this scale, looking forward to that :p)

StuG3.jpg

Nice ,I got a soft spot for Braile scale ;D Look forward to this one ;)

Chris.

Small little links there, I would take it as a challenge and have fun with it! Keep us updated!

Thanks folks :)

Today's work:

Assembled tracks

StuG4.jpg

Attatched upper hull section

StuG5.jpg

Added rear section, exhaust etc.

StuG6.jpg

Today i added the engine covers, air intake vents, spare road wheels, spare track & bracket and the tools. I also had to drill small holes where i will be adding the antennas.

StuG7.jpg

Really nice progress! Sweet detail on this! ;D Keep up the great work!

Thanks guys, i appreciate the comments :)

This morning i added the frontal armour, main gun and commanders cupola. The gun required drilling out, and the stabilising bracket had to be cut and reposed in the lowered position. I am leaving the machine gun and MG gun shield off untill i have painted the rest of the model.

StuG8.jpg

Next its the brackets for the shürzen, another fun job...

StuG9.jpg

So cool. This scale is tiny however you have a nice clean build up there. Looking forward to seeing more.

Brackets and rail for the shürzen skirt armour fitted, and i have built up the MG (although it will not be fixed untill after painting)

So this is the completed Revell kit:

StuG10.jpg

StuG11.jpg

Will assemble the PE shürzen plates now. These are from a Dragon models StuG IV, so i will have 2 spare (handy if i make any mistakes ;))

StuG12.jpg

Latest posts

Back