1/72 or 1/35

Sulka

So i've painted and made a couple of 1/72 model tanks, the assembly is usualy solid and looks good in the end, but I fell as far as painting goes its hard to get certain details and painting techniques to look good due to the small size, now with 1/35 detail would be easier to put in and woudlnt need to be as small, but its a larger canvas to cover and seems like it would show flaws easier, im just wondering if the 1/35 would be easier to paint and have the end product look good, thanks in advance for any tips, opinions or suggestions

yes if you go 1/35th scale mistakes show up easier, but you spend more time on a 1/35 tank than a 1/72 tank, so you are more careful and make mistakes less, but the end result looks ,imho, better and bigger.

ahmed

35 is a larger canvas. I think you'll enjoy it. Things like filling seams on the model, removing flash etc...are the same in terms of it is still a hunk of plastic - there are just a bit more of them because it's bigger.

If you think in terms of weathering and painting - and this is my opinion - but most of the modern 'effects' and techniques are geared towards 1.35. Things like the salt technique, hairspray chipping, etc... work better in 1.35. That's my opinion. Getting in-scale chipping, for example, in 1.72 is more difficult because it's so small.

Thanks for the input, I already picked up a few 1/35 scale models, I have a ton of 1/72 still, but im mainly gonna paint them up and not try to weather them till I get better at it, the main reson I started on 1/72 was because they were cheaper, but since i've already invested a chunk of money into the hobby, I dont mind getting models that are a bit more expensive if the finished product looks better

So I just put my first 1/35 scale model which was a m41 bull dog by tamiya, it went together very easily and is freaking huge compaired to the 1/72's that I was doing, the turret on my new model was about the size of one of the other tanks

For a long time I did very few 1/35 models, but now I find myself a little bored sometimes with the small scale tanks. I might have about 80 or 100 finished 1/72 scale models lying around. If they were 1/35 I don't know where I'd put them all! But actually, my only real problem with 1/35 is the expense. I think this hobby needs more 1/35 tanks at less than $50.

When I started building tanks as a kid it was the old 1/48 Aurora kits. Now Tamiya makes 1/48, but I think we need more companies building them. That is a nice scale to work with.

U can get 1/35th kits on ebay relatively cheap if u wanna go that route

Thats where i've gotten most my kits at this point, I just got a 1/35 scale cromwell for around 15 bucks

i would go with 1/35 all the way bud so much easier on the eye and so much choice at this scale

Latest posts

Back