1/48 Tamiya P-51D Mustang

adampolo13

Hey all,

Since it has been forever and a milenium since I actually posted any in-progress build stuff I figured I'd share with you one of my current projects. Here we have the beautiful Tamiya 1/48 P-51D Mustang kit, which I'm going to build strait OOB.

IMG_2578_zps51b66bfc.jpg

The very first thing I did was dry fit the entire bird to see if there were any areas to be concerned with. When no presented themselves off I went.

IMG_2580_zps5593e4d4.jpg

First thing I did was drill out the exhaust pipes. Some of you more knowledgeable mustang fans may notice these are the wrong pipes. I did go back and use clean up and paint the correct set. Thanks Tamiya for including two! Or, next time I should read more carefully?

IMG_2584_zpsae4f9e41.jpg

IMG_2589_zps0e1129d9.jpg

Next up was painting the cockpit areas. I really wasn't concerned with matching the colors perfectly so I just grabbed some green and yellow and made some various colors and tones.

IMG_2585_zps10587c34.jpg

IMG_2586_zps41879f08.jpg

IMG_2587_zps4324a05a.jpg

A funny thing about me, I love to dry fit. After the cockpit areas were painted I had to test fit again...

IMG_2591_zpse58aa152.jpg

Pipes looking good enough to me.

IMG_2592_zpsd5d2d6bc.jpg

After that was done I move to the inside of the cockpit. First by painting the instrument panel and then adding the decals. I tried something new on this one, I painted each dial silver and then put the decal over it. I'm not 100% positive but I think it gave more life to the white?

IMG_2612_zpsab55b463.jpg

After that was done and everything was fairly dry, I closed it all up and put it away to dry. Oh ya, somewhere along the way I did clean up the pilot figure and get him primed. I'm definitely liking the looks of this old classic.

IMG_2613_zpsb77626d2.jpg

IMG_2614_zps18d18f91.jpg

As always, thanks for checking in.

Should be a red tail, with paint made from your own blood....should have had enough of that today to be able to do it! LOL

Thanks Scott! I have been a little preocupied the last few days.

But I'm hoping to get back to this soon.

Nice work Adam. The Tamiya mustang is almost a "must build" kit for 1:48 aircraft modelers. I have the same kit at home, and I am interested to see how yours turns out.

Jason

Latest posts

Back