1/48 HPM Petlyakov Pe-2

Nice selection Mike!!! Can't wait to see how you make out!!! ;)

Cool subject. I don't know much about Russian planes either. I'll be watching this build.

Thanks guys!!

This one was the Soviet's Mossie in a sense-- basically a dive bomber with dive slats...but served multi-purpose role...

Thanks for the vote of confidence ;)

This is going to be interesting! More sink marks than I'd like to admit in this kit. Yup...there is one for each of the following seats that you have to fix to continue...Will be interesting...even the wheels are missing holes for mounting...

c31609ea.jpg
8436700c.jpg
Thanks for looking...

Well-- here is progress of sorts...although I didn't realize the pics were this blurry until now...

Main thing is-- holy moley there are lots of sink marks! I see from there a couple that need to be filled on that ammo locker...the rear tire was the worst- I filled it in with CA and redrilled the center hole...

First up is the rear cockpit with the top gun area...sorry for the blur- I'll have to grab another shot of the nice belts HPM included...
002%7E12.jpg

Next up is the rear area for the bottom gunner and radio man I assume?
006%7E12.jpg

Front office is pretty well done-- just have to touch up the areas I see from this pic that I missed...
008%7E7.jpg

And lastly-- this variant the kit represents has two protruding guns through the nose...HPM did not represent the ports in any way, shape, or form-- so I got out the pin vise to both sides- and here is what one side looks like--well-- the other side looks the same...you know what I mean ;)
011%7E4.jpg

I'm about to close up the two halves...please say a prayer for me as there might be trouble soon ;) Don't even get me started on the kit bombs-- the bomb fin assembly is fiddly and over-engineered...might end up leaving the racks empty if I can't get them figured out...

I ought to get an award just for the restraint I am showing by not launching this one out the window!!

As you can see-- this is becoming a HPM putty model as opposed to a "plastic" model...every step of the way has shown misalignment despite the best attempts at dry fitting...lots of warp :(
004%7E13.jpg
003%7E15.jpg

This one is most in jeopardy of not finishing in time :( We'll see....

Jeeves said:
I ought to get an award just for the restraint I am showing by not launching this one out the window!!

004%7E13.jpg

Wow! You are not kidding. I feel your pain on this one.

Ohh :-[....Well you are getting a handle on it Jeeves!!! Keep at it , you will overcome!! ;)

I have not given up-- just been too dang busy! Now that I am done teaching for the summer-- I hope to get this one done this week. I sprayed the underside blue color tonight which is why there are no pics yet-- but once everything is dry and cured, I will! Dang humidity!!

Nice job on the Pe-2 Jeeves. The whitewash does look pretty cool.

Latest posts

Back