1/48 heller Stuka- little different...

Kryptosdaddy

Posted this for another forum today, thought some would like it here also.

Calling this done- what you see here is an example of shear guts, if Saul hadn't gone to all the trouble of verifying my idea i would never post this here- very disappointed with this kit. BUT, have at it.

I tried to replicate washed off white wash and a very handpainted piece of field applied nose art and a few leaks AND a patch from some kind of weapon damage near the tail- 100% hand painted except for the primer coat and a couple of passes with flat white.

This Heller kit had great surface detail, but it was cast from very hard brittle styrene. The wing guns are brass rod, the prop, the best feature- is held on by a piece of wire and a swizzle stick cut down and fastened with a drop of solder. It spins and it wont come off. The patch on the tail is cigarette foil cut into strips and the siren props are white metal with brass rod bases.

Yes the cockpit antenna is bent because i broke it twice!

stukadone3.jpg

stukadone2.jpg

stukadone1.jpg

stukadone.jpg

Hey Kryptosdaddy,
Man, that is one winter, weathered warbird. I like it!!! You look at it and you get the sense of
it sitting on a wind swept, snow covered tarmac. BRRRR!
One question...is the shark face a bit of artistic license or did it belong to a real unit?
Looks cool either way.
You did a commendible job on those always difficult Heller kits.
Keep up the good work.

Great job on that. That winter effect is no easy task, nor is hand painting that artwork so congrats on that. Looks like an evil machine with those teeth.

You done a great job on the whitewash fella ...it looks great :)

If I can offer a tip tho' if you do another one apply the whitewash over the decals ,sometimes a patch was left around the insignia's sometimes they were painted right over ,but they were'nt applied after the whitewash ;) Great job tho' and well done :)

Chris.

To all- the shark mouth was inspired from a similar build in a mag, but that one was all done in white, so yes this is all artistic freehand.

Funny no one mentioned the attempt at muddy foot prints! I put those on with one of the unused pilots and some MM rust and some brown.

the decals came from both the kit and some stuff from my stash, this kit had given me so much hell i just put 'em on and tried a little smear with ink, i almost painted them on, but the kit had been such a pain ...

And i'm just getting into weathering! lol thanks CR

That is indeed one weathered bird! Hard to believe that was once clean plastic under all that. Great job.

Latest posts

Back