Stuka 1/48

GaryG64

Since the Focke Wulf was proving problematic I have the Stuka, from Revell, underway.
And a shot of my workspace at 6'6" X 2' and it's still too crowded. :D

Attachments

• 20221209_233638.jpg
    20221209_233638.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20221209_233547.jpg
    20221209_233547.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 24
Since the Focke Wulf was proving problematic I have the Stuka, from Revell, underway.
Wow, that's a crowded work area. No issues with not enough light though.
I'm a bit of a neat freak when it comes to modeling, everything must be in it's place, labelled and cleaned. I even clean the paint pots after every use !!
Pantherman

I said that I was a neat freak so here's the proof.
Pantherman

Attachments

• 20221210_133137.jpg
    20221210_133137.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20221210_133151.jpg
    20221210_133151.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20221210_133201.jpg
    20221210_133201.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 18
Wow, that's a crowded work area. No issues with not enough light though.
I'm a bit of a neat freak when it comes to modeling, everything must be in it's place, labelled and cleaned. I even clean the paint pots after every use !!
Pantherman
When I work on a large piece I expand the work area.
I use old floppy disc drawers for balsa wood. And another for masking tapes. I have a small bin for dremel bits.

You've inspired me that I should clean my bench.

Attachments

• 20221210_133714.jpg
    20221210_133714.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221210_133700.jpg
    20221210_133700.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 7
Unbelievable you guys. Firstly, Geg64 you desk is akin to mine when I am working although on a much larger scale and Pantherman that work place is amazing. I only have a tiny little desk with one drawer at the front and an old wooden cutting board my wife was going to toss out to work on. I have a light, a small corner paint stand and a magnifying glass and that is it. I don't have one of those fancy spray booths with the turntable or banks of drawers to put bits and pieces in. I am so jealous. Might be time to actually start planning a better and bigger work space I think.

Phil

Unbelievable you guys. Firstly, Geg64 you desk is akin to mine when I am working although on a much larger scale and Pantherman that work place is amazing. I only have a tiny little desk with one drawer at the front and an old wooden cutting board my wife was going to toss out to work on. I have a light, a small corner paint stand and a magnifying glass and that is it. I don't have one of those fancy spray booths with the turntable or banks of drawers to put bits and pieces in. I am so jealous. Might be time to actually start planning a better and bigger work space I think.

Phil
My bench was originally my mom's office desk I built for her years ago. I took it before she moved to Tennessee. Before this bench I had a small art table and no storage for paint, brushes, or any tools.
My paint booth is a cardboard box - lol.
I just find things that I can use for different tools. Infact I am using an insert from a .223 ammo box for pencils and sanding sticks. The storage items I got because they were being thrown away, at one time or another.

Whatever space, spot, or corner we have we all have one thing in common. Our hobby of building models to show our friends like all of us here.
It's a good hobby to unwind for our day to day working or just simply an adding task to enjoy retirement. Which I am looking forward to. Maybe one more year.
Around the holidays and summer, whenever school is out the crime increases in my area. Filing out reports of burglery of motor vehicle (bmv). Cars parked in secluded areas (they are either smoking or poking), and lately theft of catalytic converters.
So, it's nice to forget about all of those problems and escape by building our miniature world.

Sorry for chasing rabbits lol

Phil
Thanks Phil, that fancy spray booth i put together for around £10. It's a broken storage box i got free, the turn table is an old record deck a friend got me from a sale for £1 I think, the lighting was from a kitchen we stripped out at work and the airbrush holder is 2 old picture hooks i found. There is a thread with it all on including photos!!
The drawers i picked up for £5 as one was broken but easily repaired. The bench and rack i made from scrap timber from a skip. The only expensive bit was the light/magnifier which my daughter bought for my birthday, and the vallejo paint stand I bought on amazon
Pantherman

Thanks Phil, that fancy spray booth i put together for around £10. It's a broken storage box i got free, the turn table is an old record deck a friend got me from a sale for £1 I think, the lighting was from a kitchen we stripped out at work and the airbrush holder is 2 old picture hooks i found. There is a thread with it all on including photos!!
The drawers i picked up for £5 as one was broken but easily repaired. The bench and rack i made from scrap timber from a skip. The only expensive bit was the light/magnifier which my daughter bought for my birthday, and the vallejo paint stand I bought on amazon
Pantherman
Spray booth photos.
Pantherman

Attachments

• 20220423_160616.jpg
    20220423_160616.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220424_203944.jpg
    20220424_203944.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220426_212434.jpg
    20220426_212434.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220428_183011.jpg
    20220428_183011.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220508_155947.jpg
    20220508_155947.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220524_211908.jpg
    20220524_211908.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220524_211921.jpg
    20220524_211921.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 9
My bench was originally my mom's office desk I built for her years ago. I took it before she moved to Tennessee. Before this bench I had a small art table and no storage for paint, brushes, or any tools.
My paint booth is a cardboard box - lol.
I just find things that I can use for different tools. Infact I am using an insert from a .223 ammo box for pencils and sanding sticks. The storage items I got because they were being thrown away, at one time or another.

Whatever space, spot, or corner we have we all have one thing in common. Our hobby of building models to show our friends like all of us here.
It's a good hobby to unwind for our day to day working or just simply an adding task to enjoy retirement. Which I am looking forward to. Maybe one more year.
Around the holidays and summer, whenever school is out the crime increases in my area. Filing out reports of burglery of motor vehicle (bmv). Cars parked in secluded areas (they are either smoking or poking), and lately theft of catalytic converters.
So, it's nice to forget about all of those problems and escape by building our miniature world.

Sorry for chasing rabbits lol
Well said mate and I agree with you totally. I am recently retired and probably spend more time than I should on my hobby, but I love it. I am sad for you that crime in your area is like that. The seaside town of Forster where I live in NSW, is a tourist town and in the next couple of weeks, the population triples with people from the bigger cities. When summer finishes it is very quiet and my wife and I love it here. We live fairly close to an Aboriginal mission in town but apart from a few issues of drinking and noise, crime is pretty quiet here. The apartment complex where I live is not so easily entered so we feel very secure here.
I was only thinking the other day about using a cut away cardboard box as my spray booth and after reading your post, I will now for sure.
Pantherman, you have inspired me to keep my eyes open for cheap and/or discarded storage items....thank you.
That said now GEG64, ( I don't know either of your first names) it is time to get back to the plane.
Stay well you two.

Phil (your mate in Aussie)

Well said mate and I agree with you totally. I am recently retired and probably spend more time than I should on my hobby, but I love it. I am sad for you that crime in your area is like that. The seaside town of Forster where I live in NSW, is a tourist town and in the next couple of weeks, the population triples with people from the bigger cities. When summer finishes it is very quiet and my wife and I love it here. We live fairly close to an Aboriginal mission in town but apart from a few issues of drinking and noise, crime is pretty quiet here. The apartment complex where I live is not so easily entered so we feel very secure here.
I was only thinking the other day about using a cut away cardboard box as my spray booth and after reading your post, I will now for sure.
Pantherman, you have inspired me to keep my eyes open for cheap and/or discarded storage items....thank you.
That said now GEG64, ( I don't know either of your first names) it is time to get back to the plane.
Stay well you two.

Phil (your mate in Aussie)
The part of Houston I work out of can get busy at times.
As long as there are bad guys and the distressed we have job security - lol.

I saw on YouTube how a guy turned a cardboard box into a nice paint-booth with an A/C filter and an old fan for his exhaust.

To store my paint I used a spice rack then a few weeks ago I ordered vallejo paint racks.

This Stuka is the first plane I will complete in years.
Now if I can only find the window sprue for the B-17G (1/48) I can finish it too.

Gary

(in my best Paul Hogan voice)
"Aw, thet's nawt a bench.
Now, THET'S a bench!"

View attachment 95702

That Stuka is a classic Monogram kit, nice choice! I have one that I want to convert to the proposed navalized version destined for the Graf Zeppelin.
Wow, I think there is a little gap at the front you haven't filled yet !!
Pantherman

Assembly was fast, weathering will probably take longer than the build. I honestly have no where to put it when I finish
Gary, it's looking good. It's always the same, you think you're nearly done and it still takes another month!
The beauty of a stuka is you can hang it over your bench. I've tried with a tank but it's just not the same.......haha.
Pantherman

Gary, it's looking good. It's always the same, you think you're nearly done and it still takes another month!
The beauty of a stuka is you can hang it over your bench. I've tried with a tank but it's just not the same.......haha.
Pantherman
Despicable Me Lol GIF

Looking good. Display space....always the bane of a keen model maker. I must admit when I was a kid I do remember walking into the bedroom of a friends older brother and seeing dozens of planes hanging from the ceiling. I can still picture it and still think....wow.

Phil

Latest posts

Back