1/35TH CYBERHOBBY/DRAGON'S Berge-Panther mit Pz IV turret

panzerace007

Hey Guys,

This is my 1st. post here showing some of My built kits. 1st up is the limited release of Cyberhobby/Dragon's Berge-Panther D mit Pz IV turret. This is pretty much OOB with th exception of adding some bits from the Precision Models update set for ICM's Berge-Panther D ( the one with th boom crane & wooden cover over th turret hole) I nicked the "anchors" for the boom crane, as I believe They would not have removed anything that was not in the way. I also added the support hangers for the crane legs on the rear.

The interesting thing about this One-off Field mod, Is that the 653rd Pz.Jagr.Abtl. #1 had Ferdinands & were issued Berge-Panthers( D's) as recovery vehicles. Now when the Panther 1st came out it was notorious for Tranny break downs .... :-* Not that kind of Tranny .... Transmission breakdowns .... So Why did th Germans think that a Panther with a P.O.S. Tranny, that couldn't move it's self with out breaking down, be able to Tow a 90 ton Ferdinand ??? DUH !! So these were quickly deemed Obsolete. So the 653rd. took one of Their Berge D's ( They were issued 2) & bolted a Pz IV G turret on it & gave it to th XO ( second in Command) of th Battalion. & #2 took th other Berge D & dropped a Quad Flak-vierling 38 in place where th turret would've gone.( that's on th Bench & will get finished soon !) These battlefield Mods took place in th summer of '44 June (both were lost on th Eastern Front by Sept of '44) *
* Research was provided by Karl-Heinz Munch's book - Combat History of the 653rd.

O.K. now that I've put everyone to sleep with th History lesson ... On with th show ! Sorry .... I sometimes get long winded & stuff !! ;D

DSC07191.jpg
I also articulated th suspension !

DSC07194.jpg

DSC07196.jpg

DSC07195.jpg
Here you can see th anchors for the crane up near the turret & near the door for the engine. The little supports are hangin' on the rear, stickin' up in there some where ! You will also notice that the Rear Schurtzen & stowage box normally seen on the rear of the Pz IV was removed during th field mod. These would actually get in th way of the Engine deck if They needed to open the door to gain access to th engine !

DSC07193.jpg

DSC07188_2.jpg
Since the Vision blocks in the kit are molded in Clear plastic I decided to paint them as follows -
1) Painted it with Tamiya Clear Green, 2) around the areas that are not glass , I then painted it with Tamiya Chrome Silver, 3) I then painted th none glass areas with Tamiya Flat Black. With th silver & black it acted as a Mirror & reflected light through th tinted glass !!

The Panther was painted in Tamiya acrylics, Dry brushed with Tamiya Dark Yellow( to show wear & fade & tie together th camo) through out & Weathered & Washed with Windsor & Newton Raw Umber Oil( I also used W & N's sephia on th rear deck to show Fuel stains). MIG's European Dust & Russian Earth was added to give it that Dust Russian Steppe look

ferd_171.jpg

BERGPANTHERPzIVTurret-3.jpg
These are the only 2 know pix of the Field Moded Berge-Panther mit Pz IV turret. The Interesting thing about the 1st one is you also see the ONLY battlefield used Tiger(p). It was the CO's Panzer & was actually ordered from th factory to be such !! Yes th 653rd had some of the Most unusual Panzers in the Whole War !! They also had a T-34 that They added a Flak-vierling 38 to ! Yes I have that Cyberhobby /Dragon release too ! ;D

flak_t-3403-1.jpg
Here's one picture of th converted T-34 Flak. With a Field moded 3 sided turret - madefrom wrecked Sd. 251 rears armor plates !

WoW ! That turned into a Novel .... Sorry ;D Got a little too caught up in th History ... I just babbled th Sh@t out of that ... huh ? Well, none-th-less I hope you stuck around to look at th pix !! I[ll post more Models & less Babblings soon !!

ERIK

Beautiful build Eric! It's also great to get back story/ history as well! The effect of the moded suspension on the diorama terrain is awesome. It really adds a sense of realism & movement. Your explanation of the techniques used to pain the kit are also really useful. I really did enjoy the history lesson as well!! haha! :)
Thanks again for sharing it all.
cheers,
Nick

@ Schweinhund > Thanx for th kind words. Yeah, Cyberhobby/Dragon came out with this a couple of years ago. They have also released a couple more Panzers that were 653rd's. The Cyberhobby Flak Panzer T-34, has th 653rd. attaching a Quad Flak-vierling 38 on top of a Turret-less T-34 with a Field-modded 3 sided turret, The Berge-Panther D mit Flak-vierling 38 has th 653rd. taking Their remaining outdated Berge-D & putting a Flak-vierling Quad on top of that. No pix exist of it, so that one,at least is open to interpretation !!

NICK > Thanx for th kind words !! The suspension really wasn't that hard to articulate. The arms that go into th hull sides are actually Octagon shaped & fit, so you could actually rotate them around to get what you need. The suspension is actually Not glued in ! :eek:

I'm glad you both enjoyed it !! There's more where that came from. Stayed tuned to th Panzer Shoppe for a Sd.Kfz 7/1Flak-vierling from DML. I'm also adding the Griffon Royal Edition P.E. set. This is th Mother of all P.E. sets !!

As far as th History lessons go ... Sometimes I can get long winded ! ;D
ERIK

Hey Erik, nice to see your stuff here dude. The Panther with a PzIV turret is very weird looking when your not used to seeing both together.
The T34 with flak is a pretty cool looking tank. I built the New Connection AM conversion years ago as a commission piece and it was a blast to build and paint.

scratchmod

Hey Erik,
I am looking to paint a Jagdpanther soon & i believe some of their colour schemes use very similar colours to your Berge-Panther. I read you used Tamiya acrylics, but would you mind letting me know which ones as I really like the colour scheme. At least I hope I am right in thinking they painted the Jagdpanther in the same colours....Any advice would be much appreciated! Cheers,
Nick

scratchmod said:
Hey Erik, nice to see your stuff here dude. The Panther with a PzIV turret is very weird looking when your not used to seeing both together.
The T34 with flak is a pretty cool looking tank. I built the New Connection AM conversion years ago as a commission piece and it was a blast to build and paint.

scratchmod

ROB,

Thanx for th kind words .. coming from you means a lot !! Cyberhobby/Dragon released th Flak-Panzer T-34 about a year or so ago ! I've got that too & will build it soon !!! Hmmm might be a good build for th Spring Contest ?? I'll look for some Modelkasten trax @ AMPS in April for it !

http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodd.asp?pid=CHC6569 I can't figure out if they have it in stock ??? I just did a Google search & It looks sold out every where.

Sorry about th quality of th pix. I used a different light set up & didn't adjust th White balance .

It was a cool kit to build !!

ERIK

Rock-On Dude ! Thanx for th Kind words FRANK. I'm not too happy about th pix, I used a different light set up & forgot to change th White Balance ! Those War time pix come from Karl-Heinz Munch's book - Combat History of Panzerjager 653rd. ! I'm glad you liked 'em !

ERIK

SCOTT,

Thanx for th kind words. It's a really cool feature on the Later Dragon Panther Kits. The male opening of the suspension arm is an octagonal shape. The "receiving end" on th lower hull has th octagon female end. So you really can articulate it to almost anything & have solid support.

scratchmod said:
;D I'm hoping to pick up a few items in April myself, the shopping list is growing.

scratchmod

Th list gets longer. It's turning into a grocery list. There really going to be some Great Vendors there !

ERIK

Latest posts

Back