1/24 Tamiya Honda City Cabriolet (hover conversion)

Once I finish the body detailing I will start weathering the whole thing. I may lighten the windshield up some... I haven't decided yet.

The trick to holding your cup like that is all in the pinky my friend. ;)

The brunt of assembly has been completed. I still need to fix the thrusters to a static place, and then explore greebles on the bottom after mounting the magnet. And of course it needs final detailing and weathering.

I made a very simple and large battery to replace the backseat:
IMG20220814170252.jpg
The sand/tan color I used was old, and it shows in the way it laid down, but it's so tight in the car I'm not going to dwell on it.
IMG20220814172126.jpg
IMG20220814172146.jpg
The body assembly is pretty much good now, just need to address the undercarriage and final details/weathering.
IMG20220814172035.jpg
IMG20220814172046.jpg
IT'S A DOG!

IMG20220814171937.jpg
IMG20220814172019.jpg

I've had glue mishaps and I found the waterslide decals included in this kit to be VERY brittle... and I ripped most of them at least once removing them from the backing, lol.

As a result this will not be a clean build, lol.
We're making happy little trees over here.

Focusing on the basic building of the base next.

tumblr_njp7ytNYav1tsuuvno3_500.gifv

I just noticed your cutting mat, Mork. Did you add that design yourself, or was that something commercially available? It looks cool!

Last edited:
I just noticed your cutting mat, Mork. Did you add that design yourself, or was that something commercially available? It looks cook!
I got a Zaku II and an RX-78-2 cutting mat on HLJ. They had a red one for Char's Zaku, and I think there may have been a Dom?
I don't care for Char, and the 4th one was very sold out, lol.
I wouldn't recommend going the eBay route on these those. I paid around 900 Yen a piece for them and saw them going for roughly double that on eBay when they were in stock on HLJ.
They're made by Sunstar Bungu (never heard of them before buying these, lol.)
RX-72-8 HLJ page

Actually it looks like they are making and stocking SEED ones currently.

I like the widebody treatment, @Marktastrophe. Reminds me of the 22B Subaru.
Thank you!
I actually didn't change the width beyond blocking out the wheel wells.
I definitely want to try the same as wheel skirts on a build that will actually include wheels, lol.

This thing is getting bricky though (more happy little trees) as I had to add part of a MG (1/100) backpack to the underbody to lift the car and create hover clearance for the GN drive/engine swap. More mass just means I need greebles! (which is what I'm working on now, but I'm giving loads of time to dry between gluing pieces because I'm tired of reglueing pieces. :rolleyes:

A couple of small updates here:

First I tested the hover gimmick after making a simple base to provide active cooling to the electro magnet.IMG20220817144138(1).jpg
My GN Drive bottoms out!

From here I used the very basic assembly of the backpack from the MG Infinite Justice Gundam as a riser for the chassis magnet.

IMG20220819142730(1).jpg

We have lift off! And a shutter speed that is way too slow for the lighting in this picture!

I am adding some greebles to build the bottom out some, but I'm trying to keep it simple since the body of the car is so simple and boxy.
I've added some wire shielding wrapped in the same electrical tape used on my solder joints to tie those in without need for paint coverage. I will need to add a bit more glue and do some weathering on these (as well as pretty much everything else). And I've sourced some hydraulic actuator cables from an SD Zaku II to use around the GN drive. They dry fit in a way that works for me! although I am entirely unsure what color to paint them.

IMG20220823121141.jpg

I THINK the Honda City Hover Cabriolet is done. I think.
So far it's proven to be brightly enough colored to just thrash the auto white/color balancer on my cell phone camera, I'll have to fiddle with a real camera to take final pictures.

I ended up on a fairly subtle dust for weathering. I was gearing for a really old car that had been retrofit to be usable in a fantasy future. Old, but continuously used. So I didn't want it to be too beaten up, or a rust bomb (which is way far outside of my comfort zone, lol). The vehicle isn't meant to be pristine either, as most commuters are not.

I landed on pretty standard coloring for my pipes/greebles on the undercarriage. I also added the little anti-theft studs that are standard on all JDM license plates... although I'm pretty sure I put them on the wrong side of my plates, lol.

IMG20220903191055.jpg

Photos sure make it easy to pick out stray brush strokes... I may add a few more small bits of weathering in an attempt to blend some of those in.

IMG20220903192655.jpg
IMG20220903190919.jpgAttempted to make it look like the dust has been disturbed by entering and exiting the drivers seat.

IMG20220903192505.jpg
IMG20220903190945.jpg
Fiberglass damage on the rear passenger side spat, courtesy of me being really green and not confident with panel lining, lol.

This has been loads of fun... but it's made me realize a couple of weak points. Good thing I have more kits to practice on! lol.

I feel pretty comfortable with over the top grimy dystopian weathering. Trying a subtle approach made it clear to me that I need some practice on clean building first. Gotta get that foundation down when you aren't planning on using liberal damage and gunk to hide any whoopsies :p

The lights ended up pretty underwhelming on this... And the car hovers much lower as a result of the added weight of batteries, wires, diodes, and solder.

I'm calling it done, and it hovers! lol
The base is very basic, in hopes of being able to use it for a 1/32 hover build in the future as well. (I ended up with a broken electromagnet in this process meaning I have an additional load bearing mag on hand.)

View attachment 93596

View attachment 93600
View attachment 93601
View attachment 93599
View attachment 93603
View attachment 93597
View attachment 93598
View attachment 93602
Well I'm impressed. Lot's of work and it shows. Can't wait to see the next hover project .
Pantherman

@Marktastrophe , very cool :cool:.

I am always cautious about handling very strong magnetic fields. I was told by an electronics engineer that there is the possibility of DNA damage on prolonged cellular contact.

No ,, or are you being sarcastic ?
No danger from magnetic field regardless of the flux strength .
Ionizing radiation ? yes . Not electromagnetic radiation .

I'll do some more reading since the references are extensive ,but that's a very specific and relatively high energy study .
.1-.5 millitesla at the target site .
A cell phone is about , max , .006 millitesla and of course far far higher frequency .
That study is low frequency specific - " This hypothesis could have an important implication for the possible health effects associated with exposure to extremely low-frequency magnetic fields in the public and occupational environments. "

Magnetic field strength decreases with the inverse square , so , I wouldn't hold a 60 Hz electromagnet up to your head for prolonged amounts of time ,, especially if you are a rat !
An electromagnet or certainly a permanent magnet at a normal distance from the user will be benign .

There isn't any evidence in the world's population of brain injuries or DNA damage from exposure to magnetic fields .
That study is from 2005 .
But , thanks for my new research topic ;) I'm now interested in how the frequency of the source affects the outcome.
I'll see if this experiment was peer reviewed or expanded upon .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back