1/1400 Enterprise D

stpaligurl

I've spent the past couple of weeks working on my first model - the NCC-1701D. It's been fun and I'm definitely learning as I go. For instance, yesterday I learned to NOT spill lacquer thinner on an almost finished warp nacelle... because afterwards it looks like this.... :'(

So, I have a couple questions. First, anyone have similar modling-war-stories? I was completely sick with myself last night when it happened.

Also, what are your recommendations for fixing it? If I chose to completely strip the paint and start over, what's the best way to do that? Or would sanding and re-painting cover all that crackling?

This is a "learning" project so it doesn't have to be perfect, but I would like it to look nice. Which right now, it doesn't. Thanks for the comments!

[attachment deleted by admin]

That really sux. I know I hate it when I pull a clumsy move.

The other guys might have better ideas... But personally (speaking from my own past experience), I'd be temped to strip the paint off of the offending nacell and re-paint. If you plan to go that route, you may need to get some after market decals...

Hope it works out.
JMac

JMac, thanks for your input!

Here's where she's at so far...

To avoid purchasing more decals (I had already bought some for the escape pods)... I went with some light sanding and a second coat of paint. The tips of the warp nacelles still look kinda rough, but I'm hoping a coat of dull-coat will help with some of that.

Oooo! Looking very, very nice! Love the D. Too bad about the "accident".

Is that the original issue...Or the Round 2 clear version??

Keep it up...Nice work!!

This is the original version.
The clear version is my next project... starting to shop around for parts to light that one!

Right on stpaligurl!! I'd like to get my hands on a non-clear version. I'm really hoping Round 2 will release this baby in non-clear with all those cool aztec decals!!

Your "D" is looking great...Keep us updated on it! The clear one too, whenever that happens!!

The clear version of this kit is a pretty good one.There are pluses and minuses that were pointed out by other modelers.The good is that the windows can be masked or scraped out where on the original they must be drilled out.The minuses are that clear polystyrene tends to be less flexible and can crack more easily.The usual cements will work pretty good but need more time to bond.Plastic cyanoacrylate (hobby grade super glue) works well for non load bearing parts.Some modelers use this for the entire build.If you give the clear version a try,it'll be a fun one. :) By the way,did you use the vinyl masks from DLM or Aztec Dummy? Your Aztec patterns look similar to those
products.

Sorry to hear about the spill. But I think you have a good handle on it. Looks nice in the pictures and some dull coat will help it out like you mentioned. I think you'll really enjoy the clear molded kit.

Looks good, nice build.

Too bad about the little accident; no doubt a learning experience. If you ever find yourself in a position where you must strip paint, I've found that Easy off oven cleaner works quite well and unlike sanding, it allows you to keep your details intact. It's also caustic, so you'll want to only use it in a well-ventilated area (Preferably outdoors), wear eye, hand and respiratory protection. Also, because it's meant for an oven, it's best to use it in conjunction with mild heat; soaking the parts in the sun (Providing they're not resin - sun + resin = pain) or putting them in a plastic bag and submerging them in warm-to-hot water will provide the best results.

Thanks for the comments… hoping I don’t have to strip much paint in the future, but at least now I know how to do it.

Mr Atoz, no vinyl masks – just a really tiny paint brush, lots of patience, and some good reference pics online! (I’ll take that as a compliment though, if you can’t tell the difference :))

Zombierepellent, I actually mixed gold and tan for the phasers… got the idea after watching TrekWorks talk about mixing paint… and I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out. I’m not sure if dull coat will cover the shimmer in the gold (or if I should mask it off) so I’ll probably do some testing before I just go crazy with dull coat.

I’ll try to post some more pics this weekend.

I didn't get to finish the model this weekend, but here are some pictures I took along the way.

I found the painting pallet useful for working with really small decals (like the escape pods).

Looks very good indeed stpaligurl! I like the metallic look of the phaser banks. Nice job. :)

I always have trouble finding the right size tray for my decals, that looks like a good solution

Tone down the yellow rings around the nacelles - looks too toy-like. Maybe a wash with brown or something. Likewise, add some shading where the bussards meet the nacelle structure. They weren't solid red. And similarly, add a lighter blue wash along the nacelle grilles to give them some more definition.

Looks good.

I like your idea of using the pallet as a decal tray.

Hey stpaligurl, Real nice progress on the D!! Things are really shaping up beautifully.

As you said right off the bat in your last post, you are not finished yet...So for me to comment on washes or weathering would be premature...
BECAUSE THEY AIN'T ON THE SHIP YET!! ;D

That tray does look dead handy for decals.

Keep up the lovely work and please keep the updates coming. I really need to get a D. You've inspired me!! ;)

fumblethumbs said:
Hey stpaligurl, Real nice progress on the D!! Things are really shaping up beautifully.

As you said right off the bat in your last post, you are not finished yet...So for me to comment on washes or weathering would be premature...
BECAUSE THEY AIN'T ON THE SHIP YET!! ;D

That tray does look dead handy for decals.

Keep up the lovely work and please keep the updates coming. I really need to get a D. You've inspired me!! ;)

Absolutely.

Thanks for the kind words guys! :)

I know this project won't be perfect, but I do hope to take my lessons learned and use the on my next project - the clear version of 1701-D (with lights!)

Latest posts

Back