1/100 Macross Valkyrie VF-1J

Thanks, guys!

I guess I wasn't ready for paint quite yet... I forgot that I had to reposition the gun. Cut out the hole in the hand, cut down the gun handle, positioned, filled the gaps and missing parts with green stuff.

Photo04270018.jpg

Photo04270018_1.jpg

Also added the nub for the gun strap to attach to. And here's a dry fit of the whole model.

Photo04270042.jpg

Hmmm... paint time?

I had to take a few weeks off from this project... I got sick of looking at it, and the painting stage always intimidates me... its make or break!

Anyway, got back in, primed, painted gloss white (in preperation for decals and panel lines) and got the painting done. Went with a light grey for the panel lines, which I like a lot better than the harsh black.

All thats left... decals!

Photo05200800.jpg

Thanks, guys!

Attacked the decals with gusto. There were lots and lots of tiny decals, and they were super old... they probably wouldn't have stuck without Microset. Anyway, it was my first time using Microset and Microsol, and I'm loving them! But, of course, ran into a few issues. I was under the impression that the shiny decal film would disappear... it is still noticeable, though only upon close inspection. Perhaps it would disappear if I hit it with a gloss or matte coat sealer? Also, I read it is normal for the decals to shrivel up after applying Microsol, but they would eventually lay down flat. One of my arm stripes never laid down completely flat, it ended up with little ridges across it despite applying layer after layer of Microsol. One decal on a leg ended up shriveling up and folding over on itself and became somewhat of a mess.

Anyway, here are some photos of the finished piece testing my camera in natural light.

IMG-20130529-00035.jpg

IMG-20130529-00037.jpg

IMG-20130529-00036.jpg

No I did not, just used gloss paint. I got some Future, but I wasn't sure if it was the right kind and didn't want to risk it as the model was turning out much nicer than I expected. First time using the Microsol, so still learning.

Some of your silvering issue may be due to the lack of a true gloss finish.

Now, one trick that can be used with the micro-sol is multiple treatments of the same decal. This is especially useful if there are any bubbles in them.
Simply puncture the bubble and retreat

I always wondered what these old kits look like fully done up, and you've more than done it justice. This looks great, nice and clean, sharp details. Macross is always so cool!

Between the Macross and Battletech kits I always had something to do growing up! :) Looks great bro!

Latest posts

Back