F-35B Build cont.

Rob

I think I'm getting the hang of posting these threads? Anyways. Working on the weapons Bay all day. Allllll Day.. what do you think? I broke down and bought some detail paint brushes. There's a couple mistakes but I'm kind of proud of it and that's what counts. But I'm telling you right now I need a break. See you.

20240503_170635.jpg

20240503_170454.jpg

By the way I haven't dirtied it up yet there's no weathering or nothing on that

I think I'm getting the hang of posting these threads? Anyways. Working on the weapons Bay all day. Allllll Day.. what do you think? I broke down and bought some detail paint brushes. There's a couple mistakes but I'm kind of proud of it and that's what counts. But I'm telling you right now I need a break. See you.

View attachment 116814

View attachment 116815
Lot's of detail in there, coming along nicely. The detail brushes really make things easier but it still takes age's to do.

Worth it in the end though. Looking good. Pantherman

Thanks. It looks better in person but I think that's because you can't buy incandescent light bulbs anymore. That's one of those stupid energy saving daylight light bulbs and it gives it a weird color

Okay, I'm at the point where the plane is starting to come together and I haven't glued any of the sub assemblies to the body because I'm in a contrary on how to proceed to paint mainly the exterior and all the different panel lines with different colors cuz the plane is basically three body colors. Light, darker and darkest. I feel I should treat every piece as its own entity and then when everything's painted piece it together? Or should I temporarily fit everything together and paint it all with a whole bunch of masking? I mean I know I'm going to have to mask I would rather mask each individual piece as I'm holding it instead of doing it all on the plane?

20240504_114921.jpg

20240504_114615.jpg

Or is my eyes deceiving me? Is it all one color but then the outline of the panel will be accomplished by using panel line accent?

Or is my eyes deceiving me? Is it all one color but then the outline of the panel will be accomplished by using panel line accent?
I watched a YouTube video. Wow. I'm going to have to get serious here. The masking is going to be a Horror Story. But maybe not. I happened to look up at my wall where I pinned the big sheet showing where all the stencils belong. And I do believe that's in full scale. So I can trace or cut out what's on the sheet and transfer that to masking sheet. Voila. Yeah yeah I know I can buy the masking stickers but isn't that cheating?

Let me run something by y'all. I got all the external glued on with Elmer's. Then I gave it a coat of matte black. Here's where it's going to get tricky. All the dark outlines around everything? Cut that out with a razor blade from the big sheet showing the stencils that came with the kit. Transfer that to masking tape and then to the model itself. And I'm not talking the whole plane just the major pieces that stand out. Kind of like pre- shading. Then I'm thinking either a very light gray on the order of a primer gray color and give the whole plane a coat and maybe let a little bit of black show through in certain areas? Then I'll take off the masked areas which would be black of course and then I'll spray the body color and I'm hoping the black outlines ( all the squiggly areas that looks so cool on the f-25) will come through and look really good after doing some panel lining.

20240507_155108.jpg

20240507_155048.jpg

Okay let me answer myself. Nope. Nein. Alto. The stencils are real close to the plane but the plane is in 3D and the stencils are flat. They just don't quite match up

it was an inventive way to attack the problem - what about using a scanner and printer to enlarge your paper plan templates by 5% or so to make them more apt to fit the contours?

That involves turning on a computer. I'm lucky to be operating this phone. I had to go to the mailbox and grab my Tamia 40 mm tape that just came in. Now I just got to do it old school

20240507_181009.jpg

I see - well as long as the fish gets caught and had for dinner it doesn't really matter how you get it done.
Looks like a good plan B to me.
The plumbing in these latest machines rivals the tech - it's eye popping

Now that is cool. Both the link to the catalog and the picture. That is exactly the effect I want. I'm just starting back into modeling and I still can't believe all the little stuff you can buy. All the add-ons. And some of the pictures in here from your guys's builds is mind-blowing

Tell all of you the truth? I shouldn't have started building this F-35. I should have got a couple more planes under my belt. P-51 and the F4U come to mind along with the b29 which my dad flew Pacific Theater. I was just getting into the weathering and with this F-35 it's pretty complicated if you want to do it right. I'll get there. I just like building a whole lot more than painting

Good god. Haywood was right. So I got online and found an f-35b Tamia mask set. It was on sale. Plus I was the first time customer so I got the set for $13. Killer deal. Okay. The stress level went down halfway. Thanks for that info. I'm also thinking of getting a magazine on scale modeling. I'd like to choose a magazine that has lots of how to's in it? Any suggestions? Yes sir, that was a good idea on the masking. Man that was driving me nuts trying to cut all those squiggles out. Okay now I can set that part of the model aside and get to work on the engine. I'm looking forward to this. Lots of cool airbrushing.

Good god. Haywood was right. So I got online and found an f-35b Tamia mask set. It was on sale. Plus I was the first time customer so I got the set for $13. Killer deal. Okay. The stress level went down halfway. Thanks for that info. I'm also thinking of getting a magazine on scale modeling. I'd like to choose a magazine that has lots of how to's in it? Any suggestions? Yes sir, that was a good idea on the masking. Man that was driving me nuts trying to cut all those squiggles out. Okay now I can set that part of the model aside and get to work on the engine. I'm looking forward to this. Lots of cool airbrushing.
Remember it's fun and not stressful..... Pantherman

Latest posts

Back