F-35

Rob

Recently retired and got back into the hobby. I still had a big old Revell box full of old tester paints and my brushes and exacto knives. I've always built Revell when I was growing up in the'70s. So I bought a Revell 1/32 Super Hornet. In this day of age we have YouTube where you can learn how to do anything. What I learned is I needed to go do some shopping for some tools and airbrushes. And then I find out how mostly bad Revell kits are so I bought the Tamia 1/48 Tomcat. Holy moly what a difference. The pieces fit together like a glove. It was actually a joy to build. Here's some pictures

20240423_191003.jpg

20240423_191015.jpg

20240325_163104.jpg

20240321_122614.jpg

Tamia f-35d. I've built the cockpit attached it and working on everything else. Basically a lot of painting before you even put the thing together. You want some pictures?

Tamia f-35d. I've built the cockpit attached it and working on everything else. Basically a lot of painting before you even put the thing together. You want some pictures?
The picture of that Tomcat? I still need to put some flat clear on it cuz it's too shiny. You know, I was weathering it.

Recently retired and got back into the hobby. I still had a big old Revell box full of old tester paints and my brushes and exacto knives. I've always built Revell when I was growing up in the'70s. So I bought a Revell 1/32 Super Hornet. In this day of age we have YouTube where you can learn how to do anything. What I learned is I needed to go do some shopping for some tools and airbrushes. And then I find out how mostly bad Revell kits are so I bought the Tamia 1/48 Tomcat. Holy moly what a difference. The pieces fit together like a glove. It was actually a joy to build. Here's some pictures

View attachment 116690

View attachment 116691

View attachment 116692

View attachment 116693
Hi and welcome to the forum. Great build. Pantherman

Thanks. What are you working on? And earlier I said that was an f-35d which is completely wrong. F-35b. Probably build this and then I've been looking at some of the armor. Namely tanks. I might try my hand at throwing some mud on a tank. Either that or another aircraft. My plane has always been the P-51 Mustang. Tamia kits are so much better than what I've been building.

Thanks. What are you working on? And earlier I said that was an f-35d which is completely wrong. F-35b. Probably build this and then I've been looking at some of the armor. Namely tanks. I might try my hand at throwing some mud on a tank. Either that or another aircraft. My plane has always been the P-51 Mustang. Tamia kits are so much better than what I've been building.
Currently working on an Italeri landing craft as part of the D Day build that some of us are doing. Also as I tend to like mainly German armour, I'm building a Stermgeschtz IV. Pantherman

It is well known within the model world that the Tamiya Tomcat is THE best kit out there. I agree with one comment, the F-14 Tomcat really needs to be weathered the hell out of it. There’s no such thing as a clean Navy aircraft especially when they’re exposed to all kinds of elements of being out at sea.

I'm STILL weathering my Super Hornet. I haven't weathered the Tomcat at all. It's still gloss coat. I suffer from the rare disease of not finishing itis. Terrible disease. My wife says why don't you ever finish anything? I don't know. Maybe it's because I'm at the end stage the really boring part putting on Tiny decals on Tiny missiles and all the while I'm looking at this brand new F-35 in the Box I haven't even opened yet. Sometimes you say.. I'll finish this on a rainy day.

By the way. I went to my local hobby store and was talking to the owner several weeks ago. He shall remain nameless but I told him I need this and this and that to weather my aircraft. He says all I do is armor tanks and stuff he says why would you want to weather a Navy aircraft? He said those Navy aircraft are kept spotless and I kind of looked at him in disbelief but didn't say anything.

You sure about that? Want proof? Take a look at these photos. They are not “spotless” as your so call LHS owner claims they are. Again, they are exposed to all kinds of elements on the high seas. I stand corrected that Navy aircrafts are dirty. Even USMC F/A-18 Hornets are dirty.

The only spotless Navy aircraft I know are the Blue Angels.

150ABBAE-4149-4CF3-90E3-0E5C7E6F75D1.jpeg

65A28933-9983-4DA8-B530-E0044829AC87.jpeg

9058FA69-71DB-4D44-899B-8927D68784AD.jpeg

6F82F851-F3ED-45DD-B8CF-BF994266F592.jpeg

I'm STILL weathering my Super Hornet. I haven't weathered the Tomcat at all. It's still gloss coat. I suffer from the rare disease of not finishing itis. Terrible disease. My wife says why don't you ever finish anything? I don't know. Maybe it's because I'm at the end stage the really boring part putting on Tiny decals on Tiny missiles and all the while I'm looking at this brand new F-35 in the Box I haven't even opened yet. Sometimes you say.. I'll finish this on a rainy day.
I understand, completely. Tiny decals are my nemesis. I like weathering and the larger decals. I agree those are rainy day tasks.

Latest posts

Back