Building garage dios on a super tight budget.

CheapModelBuilder

I started building models a few years ago. I collect Dodge Chargers (first and second gen.) of all scales and my dream car is a 1968 Charger but apparently not very many companies make them.One day while shopping with my wife I found a Revell model kit of a '68 so I figured I needed a hobby anyway so I picked it up and all the stuff I would need. That kit turned into 2 and it then I bought a couple of Daytonas then a '69 and now I have about 15 model cars and way more die cast. That lead to needing a cool way to display them. I wanted a scale garage but I couldn't find any I liked that weren't way out of my price range, so I made one. I made 90% of it myself (balsa and bass wood are my main materials I make, desks, work benches, chairs, shelves, storage lofts) I now have 2 complete garages and 3 in progress. I do all my work on a pencil thin budget. Cheap is my magic word. I spend about $50 on each garage. These garages will never win any awards but they are pretty well detailed and fun as hell to build. I will hopefully be posting some pics soon.

A good cheap sorce for materials for garage walls is foam board. You can a sheet that is 20"x36" for a couple of dollars and at Dollar tree store they sell a sheet that is 20"x 32" for a dollar. I've used them for walls floors, ect.
Also you can use packing sleeves available at discout stores (used for packing materials) it is currogated. Painted silver replicates tin/aluminum roofing panels..I still have 3' of a roll that cost 5 dollars.

I'd like to see your work, and I'd be interested in hearing how you scrounge for materials. I'm the same way; around here, we call it being "Dutchy" (the Pennsylvania Dutch are renowned for being frugal). I'm sure you've got some good tips.

I have two:

Some yard signs, eg, "For Sale", "Keep Off", from the hardware store, are made of styrene, and are a cheaper alternative to Evergreen and Plastruct.

Wooden coffee stirrers make excellent planks and clapboards in scale. Wooden matchsticks are good for posts or other pieces of lumber.

Back