ZING!...And now for something completely different

ModelMakerMike

"It's Slobberin' time""
Hello everyone,
I have never posted in this section before. I am mostly a sci-fi/monster/comic book/mecha sort of guy.
A while back I saw that round 2 had re-issued the "Zingers" series from the '70s.
My wife likes VW bugs, so a couple weeks ago, I bought one at a HobbyTown. I thought it'd be a nice little surprise gift for her, and she'd never guess. :)
But as Grendel and I can attest, sometimes what you think is going to be a simple build/project turns out not to be.
Since this was just going to be a sideline build just for fun, I decided I wasn't going to do a lot of perfectionist work on it. Not a lot of sanding, and stuff. After all, it might be only 3" long, and about 2.5" high.
The part that gave me the most trouble was the paint job. The body has about 10 coats of paint consisting of 7 different colors!
Once I got the paint job figured out, it went together really easy.
However, the instructions refer to part numbers for all the pieces, but they are not numbered on the sprue, or anywhere on the parts. It wasn't hard to figure out though.
There was a part missing completely. The pulley that is supposed to go on the outside of the Belt. The wife'll never notice. ;)

14-2.jpg

13-2.jpg

12-2.jpg

9-2.jpg

7-2.jpg

6-2.jpg

3-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

15-2.jpg

;D ;D ;D ;D Man those things are soooooo cool 8) I have to get me some !.....Real tidy work there Mike ,Im sure the wife will be well chuffed ;)

Chris.

Thanx Chris.......
But "Chuffed"?
I am a wee bit unfamiliar with that term. :-\
Yeah, this was a fun little build, and I am tempted to go and get more, but I have so many other things to build.......
;)

Chuffed is a British/ English term that means pleased, happy, thrilled, or even proud.

"I received my badger air brushes today and was right chuffed mate!"

;D

Thanks Ken ....you taking the pee ;D :p

Chris.

Awesome Job!!! I've been tempted to build one of these myself. When you can have fun with a new build AND make the wife happy, you can't go wrong. ;D Once again, Awesome Job!!!

Thanx CT,
I am actually contemplating maybe whipping together more of these, but I have the REPUBLIC to finish, and a MF to start, once I find one, and about 300 Gundams, and as many Zoids, and some monsters, tanks, and spaceships... ::)

LOL!!! I feel your pain Mike. I have my AMT MF but I haven"t started it yet. Trying to finish up another project first. I did find some decent styrene to replace the kit's terrible sidewalls. Doing some brain storming to figure out the best way to make all the greebles.

I think I may have a MF in the storage unit........maybe.
I am not sure. I have accumulated probably thousands of kits over the last 25-30 years. I moved in with Jennifer back in 2002 and now the storage unit is filled with large boxes containing all sorts of models, and action figures. I am planning on going down there today and see if I can locate one.
LUCKILY for me, I labeled what is in each box when I packed them up. :D
I know I have a lot of Star Trek kits, and Star Wars, but not sure which ones.
Friends have often joked with me, that I should open my own store. :)
SO, I have yet to see for myself how bad the sidewalls are.
I am going to build mine NOT as the Millennium Falcon, but as a ship of my own origin, and that should allow me some wiggle room as far as accuracy goes. Plus, I like to do things a little differently. :)

The biggest problem with the sidewalls in my opinion is height. I would like to do something a little different as well Mike. There are so many Falcons already done that are excellent renditions of the studio model. With that being said, I have no idea what I would do to change it. LOL!!!

P.S. Do you leave your storage unit unlocked. ;D

OH no....she's locked up tight! Along with our garage.
Plus, I am in Kalama, WA, and I think you are probably a safe distance away.
BUT, I am not opposed to sharing, after all..... I have enough. :/
What kind of stuff do you like to build? Besides cars, and Millennium Falcons?

Well, thanks to this site, I am looking for new subject matter. I am open to about anything at this point. I want to spread my wings so to speak.

KEWL CT,
I feel the same way.
The Zinger is the first car model I have built in way over 25 years.
I owe a lot of my current modelling inspiration to this site. :)
The problem then becomes what to do with them once they are built?
;D

Latest posts

Back