Your foray into miniature wargaming...

My Foray? ;D Which One?!?
Started with Avalon Hill board games in the late 1970's and then found miniature's, WWI ship mini's got me started!, From there managed to gather more games and armies than there were opponents. . .
Then in late 2009 I found a Game Store for sale. . . .and being pretty stupid, bought it.
Sadly the economy, and a majority of my customers being college students or laid off workers, I just couldn't get it going as fast as I would have liked. I also found the start up costs for games, Games Workshop, Battlefront Miniatures being the two biggies, really priced themselves out of the market for my customers.
(Promised assistance, freebies, giveaway's, were never forth coming. . . )
But for one whole year I lived in paradise. Going to "work" to build models, paint figures, and play games was just so much fun!

Back in the real world. . .my college customers have faded away, the old guys like me have found a new home, but. . . in order to pay off the debt I took on and grew, working to pay it off interferes with playing time. Right now I am down to one day a week playing Wings Of War. . . well usually getting my hind quarters handed to me.

My first foray was into D&D in the 80`s.
I played Lord of the Rings in a shoping mall at Games work shop.
Then i found a Strategy club. This is way cool because we all have different coolections and so we get to play different rules from hero clix and warhammer to Flames of War, Check Your Six and Action Stations.
We play twice a month

I`m Collecting `Flames of War` fun and frustrating at the same time...

I got my first taste of wargaming with Warhammer 40K Epic quickly followed by regular 40K and Fantasy. Then I got my first taste of Blood Bowl and I never looked back. My only regret from those days is that I didn't buy the last set of Man'o'War and a handful of fleets when my local hobby shop put them on sale. Missing out on that game was a real shame.

Anyway, I played Epic, 40K, and Fantasy for nearly a decade before the prices finally drove me away. But that. I suspect, is a topic for another time and place...

These days I buy a few 40K models, just to paint them. I still play a bit of Blood Bowl but most of my old friends dropped out of the game years ago so there're few left to play against.

I've also begun playing a bit of Flames of War. But since the one shop that sold it closed down the local players seems to have all gone. Shame about that. The game isn't really that great, but being a WWII nerd I'm willing to forgive and forget a lot of bad rules as long as I'm able to push Tigers around on the table...

Perhaps that's why I've found myself turning more and more towards scale modeling these days. Since I don't have anyone to play against the non-playability doesn't matter. And such models are far more rewarding to convert and paint...

For me it was also D&D in the early 80's; discovering the game then the figurines. Later on, I tried skirmish games within AD&D environment then found Warhammer (quite a different gaming system). Played both for quite a while, then it slowed down. I am mainly in minis collecting now, but still following what is being done in both games up to now. The amount of fantasy figurines available is now 1000-folds of what was available in the early 80's and the sculpt quality has gone up quite a few notches too. Wish I had more time to paint them all!

Latest posts

Back