What air brushes are you using?

In your case aren't iwatas cheaper ? They come from Japan which may make them more available to you . I know that an H&S Silverlive pfc 2in1 and all that costs like 170€ + shipping over here :) .

I started with a couple of generic china brushes to get a feel for using an airbrush... got one of those tcp global deals with a compressor
I have since switched to a harder & steenbeck evoloution and I love it...

I have a bunch of airbrushes including Badger 200,300,velocity renegade, Paasche H, two VLs and a Iwata eclipse. I find myself using the Paasche VLs most often.

hooterville75 said:
dkev I use the Patriot 105 as well but it has me severely curious to ask you a few questions in regards to your patriot. I dont know if I have a defect in mine or what but anytime I paint a kit it appears that Im using twice the amount of paint I should be till its all said and finished. Im in the finishing stages of the Nascar kit Im currently building. From start to finish, I used 3/4 of a 1/2 oz bottle of both Gloss and Flat Black (All parts BUT the Nose, Hood and Body), and 1 1/2 oz of Flat Yellow all bottles Model Masters Enamel thinned 2:1 with cheap cold lacquer thinner, spraying at 20 PSI.

Is this the normal amount I should be using or am I using way too much paint and if using too much why is this happening ? Is there a defect with my airbrush, am I spraying with too much pressure, is my fan in my spray booth producing too many cfm's and sucking paint before it hits the part ??? Another question I have does your trigger stick ? Alot of times when Im spraying when I leave off the trigger it doesnt pull all the way forward or continues allowing air out after I leave off the trigger. Question 3 I noticed just the other day while cleaning the airbrush, when I clean the airbrush between colors. When I put Alcohol, lacquer thinner or windex in it to clean it, then spray it out I notice that it doesnt shoot out at the pressure it is set at. Like the first burst is proper with the right amount but after about a second or two of it spraying out it sprays out as if its very minimal pressure. If you or Anyone can give me some advice or answers I would greatly appreciate the help.

dkev, when you get a few free minutes could you please take a look at the questions I asked previously about the Badger Patriot 105 airbrush you use to spray your models you build ? I want to see if this is universal for all Patriots or if I need to send it back to Badger to be repaired or even possibly upgrade to a newer model. I would be greatly appreciative of your answers. Thanks Bud, talk with you soon.

The 105 will put out a lot of paint very quickly if your not careful. Don't go any higher then 15 psi and don't pull the trigger all the way back. Half way is plenty. I think you still have a cleaning issue. Tear it completely down and clean it. Use an ultrasonic if you have one. Be careful though, the back lever for the trigger is a pain to put back in. Badgers site has a nice exploded view of the Patriot to help you remember how it goes back together if you haven't torn it down yet. It's a pretty stout brush, I doubt it's defective.

Ill do a complete tear down then. I know how to assemble it so Ill get that done tomorrow. I normally spray the Enamels I use at 22 PSI. Is that too much ?

hooterville75 said:
Ill do a complete tear down then. I know how to assemble it so Ill get that done tomorrow. I normally spray the Enamels I use at 22 PSI. Is that too much ?

Ya, cut it down to 15. What are you using to thin it with?

Like anything else good tools cost money. BUT, you needn't break the bank when buying an airbrush.
However, stick with reputable manufacturers like Badger, Paasche, Harder and Steenbeck, DeVilbiss, Iwata to name the ones I consider the better manufacturers.
Someone mentioned that the Mr Hobby Airbrush was a copy of an Iwata. I'm almost sure that I read somewhere that it is actually made by Iwata and brand named for Mr Hobby. Possibly a Neo under licence?
I have often seen Sparmax and Grex airbrushes advertised but have no experience of using any of them.
The other thing to influence your decision is take a very cold hard look at what you want to do with your airbrush. H&S has been mentioned as the Bugatti Veyron of airbrushes when looking at their very top model, but they like all the others make a range of models depending on what you are looking for.
Just buy the very best you can afford when decided about its use.

Latest posts

Back