website at a standstill

13aceofspades13

lets kick some tires and lights some fires!
a few people have joined the members list, and i have the occasional "Visitor." but the website is at a grinding stand still.

on another note, today i have auto test, wee.... hope it goes well, have been studying, i get to go to the pine cove for lunch, YAY!!! REAL FOOD!!!

Like I mentioned in a PM - getting a site off the ground isn't easy. It really takes a lot of time, marketing and work - no matter type of site. I develop websites for clients daily and those that invest in content management, online and offline marketing gain the most ground.

Unfortunately the 'if you build it they will come' idea simply does not apply to the internet.

Scott Girvan said:
Like I mentioned in a PM - getting a site off the ground isn't easy. It really takes a lot of time, marketing and work - no matter type of site. I develop websites for clients daily and those that invest in content management, online and offline marketing gain the most ground.

Unfortunately the 'if you build it they will come' idea simply does not apply to the internet.

I have had the same experience. I started a forum for my customers about five years ago, and the spammers out numbered the customers 3 to 1 after about six months.

It looks like Scott started this forum around 2009, so it has been running for a few years. Even with that, there are times when there is little activity on the forum. So it will take time to get going.

One last thing, with the number of modeling forums on the web, you really need to do some marketing to attract people and offer something that the other sites don't. So as a suggestion, go check out some of the other forums out there. See what they are doing, or in the case of some of them, not doing. Also the people you attract will help with the forum. I am a member of two other forums, and rarely post on them. Mainly because I have encountered a few rude people there and just don't have time for that sort of behavior in my life. It does happen on this site, but very, very seldom. That is one of the reasons I have stayed here.

Grendels said:
Scott Girvan said:

I have had the same experience. I started a forum for my customers about five years ago, and the spammers out numbered the customers 3 to 1 after about six months.

It looks like Scott started this forum around 2009, so it has been running for a few years. Even with that, there are times when there is little activity on the forum. So it will take time to get going.

One last thing, with the number of modeling forums on the web, you really need to do some marketing to attract people and offer something that the other sites don't. So as a suggestion, go check out some of the other forums out there. See what they are doing, or in the case of some of them, not doing. Also the people you attract will help with the forum. I am a member of two other forums, and rarely post on them. Mainly because I have encountered a few rude people there and just don't have time for that sort of behavior in my life. It does happen on this site, but very, very seldom. That is one of the reasons I have stayed here.

rude people drive me nuts.

OR - you could work towards making SMA a great and busy site - knowing that you were a big part of it when it was still young.

SMA isn't just for me - it's for us. SMA is meant to be a place where all skills, all genres and all people can enjoy the hobby, have fun and share life together.

Scott Girvan said:
OR - you could work towards making SMA a great and busy site - knowing that you were a big part of it when it was still young.

SMA isn't just for me - it's for us. SMA is meant to be a place where all skills, all genres and all people can enjoy the hobby, have fun and share life together.

i have been here a while, but not near as long as you guys, you guys are the real veterans of this place :).

13aceofspades13 said:
Scott Girvan said:

i have been here a while, but not near as long as you guys, you guys are the real veterans of this place :).

But you have found a home here, I have heard you say so in the past. People here treat you with respect. That is worth quite a bit in todays world......

Grendels said:
13aceofspades13 said:
Scott Girvan said:

But you have found a home here, I have heard you say so in the past. People here treat you with respect. That is worth quite a bit in todays world......

that is true, i have found a home here and a place, people like me for who i am, and thats enough to me, i love it here, to be honest, to me this is the best Forum on the intire internet, beacuse everyone gets along, and the worst that i have seen here is someone get ticked off and call us pee ons! :mad: and we aren't pee ons XD

i have been to tons of other forums and chat sights, and it was completely different, people getting made fun of and internet trolls where a day buy day accurance. and someone would give me flak at least weekly, for as many months i have been here, i have yet to see that!

Hey Ace,

Hope you don't mind some pointers and/or advice. I've done my share of web design and a bit of marketing as they do go hand in hand.

It is not really apparent what the site is about or what it is for. It needs some kind of title or something that states its purpose.

I would also say that there are way too many subjects listed which makes defining a purpose even harder. If you want to have all those different things i would split them up into individual sites. that way they are more targeted. All of your successful forums are targeted to a specific audience/subject.

Those are the biggies. It's hard to get something like this going and even harder to keep it going. The more traffic it gets the more time and money it consumes. :-\

I have also found it hard to use. I don't know which free forum you are using, but there are much better out there.

Latest posts

Back