washes

AmirApache

I'm singaporean but not chinese, i'm Malay. :D
hi is there anyway that i can make my own washes for panel lines on an aircraft?

Yes I think the ratio is 10% paint to 90% tinners and enamel works best

I think if you add water to acrylics or thinner to oils you'll have a wash. Some paints work better than others. Tamyia acrylics for example do not make the best washes I have heard and found out. Just have to find the right ratio of thinner/water to paint. Try something like 25% paint for a heavy wash or 10%paint for a thinner wash and adjust to your liking. Someone else may have a more exact recipe.

There really is no exact recipee, but MOST CERTAINLY you can make your own. "Ready to use" washes are only a relatively recent product on the market. :) Maybe if you tell us what brand and type of paint you use we can at least get you started. Not only does mixing ratios differ for particular paints and thinner, but also what sort of effect you want. For example I myself I don't like too strong a line wash and by making it weaker I can feather it in corners and crevasses etc, though with certain paint thinner combinations going too thin will result in the dreaded "tide marks".

i use tamiya paints, and what are the best ready made washes out there?

For Tamiya Acrylics, best to use their acrylic thinner (mostly booze, some glycol ether, some retarder). Start about 50/50 and if too strong color-wise or not wicking enough, thin more.

As to "best" off the shelf washes, thats bound to bring out all sorts of opinions. I'll just say the best known ones right now are Mig (solvent based) and Vallejo (water based). AK is up and coming as wall.

Phil's (Flory) washes are really good ,completely water based and work on matt or gloss surface ,you can leave it sitting on the model as long as you like and it will still wipe of not leaving a mark ,just the panel lines .
I think he had to change the name ( for legal reasons ) so its called Flory's washes now ;)

http://www.florymodels.co.uk/

Chris.

Don't use the same (Kind) of Washes as your Base color... i.e. ACYLIC base washes on Acrylics colors or you will Damage it ! you will re-activate the bottom layer and ruin your nice job !

That's my take on it ! others may differ !

Use oil washes on Acrylic paints (sealed prior with Future) to toughen up the surface and if you don't like what you are doing... wash it off... You paint is still intact underneath the FUTURE !

but that's my take on it !

Take care !

schweinhund227 said:
Don't use the same (Kind) of Washes as your Base color... i.e. ACYLIC base washes on Acrylics colors or you will Damage it ! you will re-activate the bottom layer and ruin your nice job !

That's my take on it ! others may differ !

Use oil washes on Acrylic paints (sealed prior with Future) to toughen up the surface and if you don't like what you are doing... wash it off... You paint is still intact underneath the FUTURE !

but that's my take on it !

Take care !

Acrylic on Acrylic isn't so bad as long as your previous layer is cured, unless you are slathering it on of course, but a general panel line pin wash is fine. I use Vallejo washes over Vallejo paint all the time and the washes have no effect on the layer of paint, other than doing what it is suppose to do, and being a wash.

With, or without a layer of future....doesn't really make much difference, the Vallejo washes at least are pretty benign at lifting the previous layer.

I mix all of my own washes, and it's definitely not an exact science.
A lot of it depends on what effects you are looking for.

I find only enamel paints give the best performance for panel lines. Then the ratio is up to you the more paint then thinner = more Pigment vs Meidum . just think capillary, so your mix must be thin . take a drop of your mix and place to a northern part the panel line and you will see that your mix will flood the line . so you only need to use a cotten bud with turpentine or your enamel thinner to clean the edges . Stay Safe , Aj

Are they any good, is it worth the money?

Whey spend money ? I know we are all modellers so I know we all must have paint and thinners . Washers are just overs thin paint, Yeah ?

Citadel makes some good washes, I really like Devlan Mud, it works wonders but might be a bit heavy for panel lines, unless carefully applied. Thinning acrylics of almost any type with tamiya x20-a also works quite well, I think. So does plain water. Oils, properly thinned, provide some excellent results as well.

I'd give that devlan mud a try, or the Vallejo washes are good too, I hear.

Citadel have just re-done their entire range and I recall reading that the washes are no more....
If you d use the Devlan Mud colour, it might be worth looking into availability and getting stock.

Latest posts

Back