Vaseline?

Aaron1883

I was browsing through some other sites and stumbled across a guy the used vaseline to get a chipping effect. It was a 3 year old post and he didn't give a hint of how he did it. I am curious as to if anyone has heard of this method and how it can be achieved.

I'm thinking that he just rubbed it off after his main color dried?

Hi Aaron,

Yes Vasline could be used ,however you would have to place it excatly where you want your chips to appear ....a very tedious way of going . using the hairspray technique is much quicker and easier and will aslo allow you to create more random patterns ;D

Chris.

Do you happen to know a good video showing how to do the hairspray technique? I haven't done it before.
What kind hairspray? (US)

The hairspray technique is peerfect for a random chipping effect. I've achieved pretty decent results using masking fluid to apply chipping to a specific area (panel lines, hatches, etc.). It's probably the same method as applying vaseline to act as a mask but way less messy.

Plenty of hairspray technique videos on youtube, you need an enamel or lacquer base though with acrylic over.
I tried it for the first time a couple of months back and was mightily unimpressed to be honest, very very tedious owrk scrubbing and chipping the paint off, maybe I left it to cure too long before wetting and chipping?
I like the salt method, so easy and good random results
Let you base coat set, spray or drop water then cover it in ordinary table salt, shape it a bit if you wish, let it dry overnight and you an then adjust before spraying the rop coat by chipping some away, if necessary, re-wet and re-do.
Once set, spray top coat, leave to cure then soft brush and running water, rinse under the tap and brush off the salt, excellent results guaranteed, i used this method on my Desert Ducati just recently for example.

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,2669.msg29186.html#msg29186

You absolutely don't need to do an enamel or lacquer base to use the hairspray method, not sure where that came from. I have never needed to use one, not does ScaleModelMedic use one in the video link I posted above.

I tried the salt method, and it has it's uses, the problem I had with it was when using an acrylic over the salt, the salt tended to partially dissolve with the wet acrylic paint, leaving a ghost ring around the salt particle, to me it didn't look natural, so I had to end up going over it all with an enamel and then scrubbing the salt off.

The one time I did try it....

IMG_2900001.jpg

IMG_2901001.jpg

IMG_2902001.jpg

IMG_2905001.jpg

IMG_2907001.jpg

It does have it's uses, but I wasn't convinced of the effect unless I did a top coat in enamel so I didn't get the ghost rings around the salt particles, and since I paint with nothing by acrylics....the method is kind of lost on me.

Scott, that weapon on the back - is that a rocket launcher? Like missle looking things...I honestly am not sure.

Yeah, basically the Soviet version of the MLRS, a modern version of the Soviet WWII Kaytusha

katyusha.jpg

Scott Girvan said:
Scott, that weapon on the back - is that a rocket launcher? Like missle looking things...I honestly am not sure.

Yeah Scott... that Thingy on the back !!! LOL

if you look carefully Scott! the little appendage on the Left side... at the back... is an Optical Sight !
Like you would line up a GUN or a Mortar !!! pretty Crude !

The MLRS or MARS is fully... GPS enabled... tap tap tap on the keyboard !!!! and Boom Boom n' Kaboom !!! not sure you can do that .... with an Optical sight ? sure thing its less complicated...

The URAL trucks are so impressive in real life !! like MAMMOTHS !!! HUGE trucks !

Anyway... I saved that BLOG from MIG on how to apply that Air spray technique... and watched ScaleModelMedic Video, it sure helps getting the hang of it !!! maybe on the Next kit I build....?

Latest posts

Back