USS Defiant 1/1000 Scale

noc5659

This is going to be my first documented build on the forum. I am currently building the 1/1000 scale Polar Lights Constitution Class Starship. I will eventually have several Enterprises in my collection so I am opting to build this one as the USS Defiant. The build will be pretty much out of the box except that I may try an alternate paint scheme to reflect some panel lines as seen in the remastered shots of the series.

031.jpg
030-1.jpg
Parts layout
033.jpg
For a better fit I removed the locator pins on the saucer section
038.jpg
pylons glued up
036.jpg
Engines glued together.
035.jpg
Saucer section
054.jpg
It would not be a Star Trek model without seam filling. I have spent about an hour already just on the engines.
055.jpg
One engine almost done.
050.jpg
Pylon work :p
051.jpg
Second pass with sanding sticks and seam filler on the saucer. one more should do it.

Kewl!
Another Trek builder.
And another Constitution class!
Off to a good start. I will be watching this one.
Have you seen my Republic build? It's the 18" AMT version.
I also have one of these 1/1000 in the pipeline, it' gonna be the first pilot version. :)

Didn't know this kit had clear bussard-collectors. Pretty cool.
Nice job with the seams filling, absolutely impossible to see any traces of seams on the later pics.

Nice!!! I have two of these just sitting wait for me to find the time. I will be watching!

Solander said:
Didn't know this kit had clear bussard-collectors. Pretty cool.
Nice job with the seams filling, absolutely impossible to see any traces of seams on the later pics.
Yeah, each bussard scoop has TWO clear parts, and there are enough to make Two different versions; one with the spikes on the tips, and then the regular series version w/out spikes.
It's a pretty kewl kit that allows you to build one of three versions, four, with the decals for "Mirror Mirror"
;D

ModelMakerMike said:
Kewl!
Another Trek builder.
And another Constitution class!
Off to a good start. I will be watching this one.
Have you seen my Republic build? It's the 18" AMT version.
I also have one of these 1/1000 in the pipeline, it' gonna be the first pilot version. :)
Thanks. Yes I love Trek models but they can be the death of me sometimes. I saw your Republic version and I plan on using your technique on the bussard collectors. I opted for the series version because I was doing Defiant but I have another in the stash that I may build up for the Cage pilot.
Thanks again.

Solander: The end caps are actually in two parts. I had to gule the inner parts on before assembling the warp engines. There is a second piece that fits over them also clear. My plan is to paint the inside cap sliver and the outer one clear red. No way am I attempting the swirl pattern.

Grendels: So far this kit has been heavy on seam filling, but the detail is good. There is great potential with these kits. Thanks for watching, your videos have inspired me to get back to the bench and complete something!

Ingard: Thanks for the compliment on the seams. That is my least favorite part of modeling by the way.

Looking very nice.
I've got an "ISS Enterprise" I've been thinking of redoing as either the Defiant, or the Constellation.

Thanks Q. I have taken a break from working on this while I was on vacation. My advice for anyone building this kit is to remove all locator pins and anything that has to do with the stap fit. That is the only way to insure a proper fit.

I have this kit in my to do pile and have been doing some preliminary fitting. I think your point about removing or at least drastically shortening the locator pins is a good one. They are being problematic in dry fitting parts to check for proper mating. I will have to bite the bullet and remove the pins I think. Keep up the good work and I will be watching this thread. :)

dazed1 said:
I have this kit in my to do pile and have been doing some preliminary fitting. I think your point about removing or at least drastically shortening the locator pins is a good one. They are being problematic in dry fitting parts to check for proper mating. I will have to bite the bullet and remove the pins I think. Keep up the good work and I will be watching this thread. :)

Thanks dazed. The fit has been a problem but I am working through it.

I have dryfit the main parts for a check fit and so far so good. still some work to do on the saucer, and engines. I have yet to sand and fill the body. I ignored the directions and did not install the pylons as suggested when I closed up the body. I will put the pylons in after the body is filled, otherwise the hull would not close. the rear end caps were the worst fit of all. I ended up removing all the locator pins and carving out the pins in the engine for a so so fit.

Here are some pics of where I am at. still debating on the paint scheme. I saw that Aztec Dummy makes a mask to do the aztec scheme on this ship and I may just do that. That would bring the style more in line with current trek designs. Thanks for all the comments.

050-1.jpg
047.jpg
046.jpg

Looking good! That aztec detailing will be interesting. The remastered aztec was very subtle. I personally loved what they did with it.

She looks very ready for paint! I will be watching to see what you do with the aztec, or even without the aztec....

Thanks for all the compliments on the build guys. I still need to do a little more clean up and do the final assembly. This will be on hold for a bit as I wait for the painting masks I just ordered. Gonna take the plunge and do the aztec pattern. Thanks again :)

I'm looking forward to seeing how you make out with the aztecs. I keep debating with myself what to do with the paint sceme on mine. I like the idea of aztecs but I may just go with the light grey scheme as the original filming version would have been. Anyway I will be keeping an eye on this thread. ;D

Latest posts

Back