Undoing a big CA joint

pingvuiini

**DOH!!** I accidentally CA glued a metal piece to styrene facing the wrong direction. The surface area is about a half inch square. What's the latest and greatest technique for undoing such a joint?? Acetone?? Lacquer?? Other chemicals?? Thanks for any tips.

Acetone based nail polish removed should work. or get some CA Debonder

Acetone may work, but nitromethane will work better. Most CA debonders either contain acetone or nitromethane.

I'd be worried that the acetone would attack the styrene, though, if too much is applied. What about the freezer trick? Place the piece in the freezer for an hour or so, and then try popping of the glued piece. The low temperature can make the glue join brittle enough to break.

I started out with a few attempts using the acetone and heard a few snaps and crackles. I then tried the freezer method and got some louder snaps and pops. Left it in the freezer longer and tried it again and it finally broke off. Yay!!

Thanks guys!

the Baron said:
I'd be worried that the acetone would attack the styrene, though, if too much is applied. What about the freezer trick? Place the piece in the freezer for an hour or so, and then try popping of the glued piece. The low temperature can make the glue join brittle enough to break.

Finger nail polish remover won't attack the plastic fast. I have used it directly on a model before with no damage to the plastic.

Latest posts

Back