True Fire

Ialarmu

Hey guy's, I've been fooling around with my Velocity airbrush ;D and have been playing with a technique that I am trying to scale down. I've always been a fan of "true fire" flame jobs and now have the airbrush to give it a go. I was hoping maybe someone here would have some first hand knowledge of this technique. The big problem is of course the scale , I can't seem to get it right. The detail of the flames are ok but, seem to lack "Life".

I'm using Createx opaque white with a few drops of retarder and about a 60 thinnner-40 paint ratio. You can see in these pics I'm a bit grainy but that's as good as it gets with the paints I'm using( I also tried Tamiya). The white is oversprayed using Tamiya's acrylic candy line.

Any recommendations on paint, thinners or whatever would be great thanks.

IMG_4132.jpg

IMG_4131.jpg

IMG_4133.jpg

IMG_4136.jpg

IMG_4138.jpg

Looks pretty good to me, want to try this myself on a big rig (the new Moebius Lonestar would be a good candidate).

I had downloaded from somewhere the actual true fire templates that had been reduced down in size to 1/25 scaleish....while you could buy the templates, for some reason they put them on their website in their full size....so I just copied the pictures, print them out on a sheet of paper, cut out the paper and transfer the shape to .010 or .005 styrene sheet and insto presto, true fire templates.

Wow... This is the first time I see that fire scheme on a small scale. I see what you mean about the grainy look. Are you using a "fine" nozzle and needle?

I'm using a Badger Velocity airbrush with a .21 needle. I picked up some Vallejo gloss white and will give that a try tonight.

Hey guys, I scaled this down a bit more buy just cutting out a smaller stencil. I was using Tamiya XF-2 thinned down 70/30 with about 4 drops of retarder in the colour cup. Any mistakes were cleaned up by simply going over it again with thinned 70/30 Tamiya XF-1 flat black.

I currently have 3 coats of future on it and will have to do some sanding and polishing yet but, here's some pics of my results, I'm interested to see what people think. This is 2 layers of flames.

IMG_4161.jpg
IMG_4162.jpg
IMG_4164.jpg
IMG_4165.jpg
IMG_4166.jpg
IMG_4167.jpg
IMG_4168.jpg
IMG_4169.jpg
IMG_4170.jpg
IMG_4173.jpg

Sorry for so many pics, thanks for looking.
Dave

that is just astounding. I was going to say that your stencil cutout appeared a little too large for the scale, but you seemed to have nipped that in the bud!

Is the truck painted flat black first? Or Grey?

First couple of pictures it looks like grey primer, then the flames, color, and then all of a sudden it turns black. Had to do a double take, couldn't figure how you turned it from grey to black.

Think I need to get my eyes checked!! LOL

Looks awesome!!

Elm City Hobbies said:
Is the truck painted flat black first? Or Grey?

First couple of pictures it looks like grey primer, then the flames, color, and then all of a sudden it turns black. Had to do a double take, couldn't figure how you turned it from grey to black.

Think I need to get my eyes checked!! LOL

Looks awesome!!

It's just the lights. I painted it Tamiya XF-1 flat black.

Dude! That is awesome! I wanna learn how to do that. I think you definitely got that scale down. bravo dude!

Latest posts

Back