Tomb Kings Casket of souls from Games Workshop.

TDA

This is my display version of the Casket of Souls model from Games Workshops Tomb Kings range.

The model is, like my Iron Man, for a painting competition and I opted for a fantasy entry to venture a bit out of my safe zone and really try and give this model 110% to test my own abilities.

The reason I chose the Casket of Souls is that it is an awesome model and it presented me with an opportunity to try out a spiderweb technique that I've been wanting to do for a long time now.

I know it's supposed to rise from the sand on a heap of skulls, bu I don't really care, I really wanted to capture the ancient tomb feel and thus the plan is to cover it in spiderwebs en masse :D

The plinth is around 50mm in diameter as that is the maximum size allowed for the competition.

On to the pics:

The assembled model
PAINTINGPOWERFIST3.jpg
PAINTINGPOWERFIST4.jpg
PAINTINGPOWERFIST2.jpg
PAINTINGPOWERFIST1.jpg

Some detail work
lizard.jpg

And a spider as someone had to make all the messy spiderwebs to come
skullspiderwip.jpg

skullspider.jpg

Some tests of the spiderweb technique
PPwip2.jpg
PPwip1.jpg
PPwip7.jpg
PPwip6.jpg
PPwip5.jpg

And some progression on the actual painting. I'm keeping the tones very earthy and am trying to tone town the skulls as to not steal away too much attention but in the same manner still be visible.
DSCN2419.jpg
DSCN2422.jpg

That's it for now, the deadline is July 11th, but I'll be going on holiday on the 29th of June so that'll be my personal deadline.

C&c is much appreciated :)

That looks very cool . I like the spiderwebs ,can you explain the technique ?

Chris.

The tutorial to the technique for the spiderwebs is here http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.dk/2011/12/tutorial-realistic-spiderwebs.html and I bought the crackle medium/lacquer from the website linked in the tutorial :)

Basically it's done with an airbrush and very low pressure, the crackle medium is mixed 4:1 with water and is blown gently through the nozzle of the airbrush creating tiny strings.

Here's the next update.

ppwip.jpg
ppwip2-1.jpg
ppwip4-1.jpg

The black part of the plinth still isn't smooth enough and will need another layer of filler and more sanding, but the solid coat of black made it more easy for me to see the surface clearly.

Plinth is done and the liche priest have had a bit of paint applied, still needs a lot of work though :)

20-06updatePP1.jpg
20-06updatePP2.jpg
20-06updatePP3.jpg
20-06updatePP4.jpg
20-06updatePP5.jpg
20-06updatePP6.jpg

What do you guys think? :)

Thanks guys :D

cobraleader said:
love the spider web effect..... how did you actually do it ???
It's really simple actually, you mix the laquer and water in the AB and spray it on very low pressure :) it makes a whistle sound as it blows out small strings that goes absolutely everywhere :p to get the stringy look I had yo catch some of the webs that were building up all around my workbench as the webs building up on the model were very delicate and hard to see.

The piece is done, and here's the pictures :D

Hope you all like it, I'd love to have more time to work on this, but it was nice to complete it so I can move on with other projects.

Wrathofthetombkings2.jpgWrathofthetombkings3.jpg
Wrathofthetombkings4.jpgWrathofthetombkings5.jpg
Wrathofthetombkings1.jpg
spider.jpg
closeup.jpg
lichepriest.jpg

What a work of art, I've recently been working on some figures and that has only given me more respect for you guys that produce stuff like this , just great.

amazing work there mate. i have seen these figures in my local hobby shop but dont know much about them so i haven't really tackled any so far.

he looks happy must have dropped his last slice of pizza...but jokes aside amazing work the colour pops and the spiders web is amazing

Thanks all you guys :) I won a second place in the tire i entered it in, which was the hardest one of them so I'm pretty happy :)

Latest posts

Back