The next project has ARRIVED!!!

Thereal9thdoctor

So I just received the next project!

20210714_163538.jpg

The kit. Same maker as my War Machine diorama, Pegasus.
20210714_154507.jpg

And it's pretty big. It looks to be made mostly from a vinylish plastic with the base being vacu formed. I WILL need to get a big plaque for this.

I will post more shortly after ripping bags apart to see the goodies.:D

Parts are free.20210714_164559.jpg

So the bulk of the kit is solid vinyl, and vac formed base. So the build won't be drastically different from the Fly build. But I likely will need more super glue, and my friend Sam has borrowed my putty for this type of kit, so I won' get to putty and paint this till likely Sunda K after the GF has left for her place.:(

Test fit of everything. Peter Macnicol fit together loosely but one glued up will be great. Vermithrax is slightly not great. The left wing to left arm join will need work to fit well, and while some areas may not need putty at all, others, like the wrists and head/neck join, definitely do.20210714_165652.jpg

Side note: been a long time since I saw the film, but Vermithrax's back legs seem really short and small. I recall her back legs being at least half again bigger than they are in this kit. But as said, been at least a few years since I last saw the film. Could easily be misremembering.

Well, this is as far as I can get till I get my putty back, unless I decide to go ahead and prime and paint the base. I may do that tomorrow.

I will say that the fit on Vermithrax improved during glue up, as I forced the joints together as much as I could. Still some ugly seams, especially the aforementioned wing- arm joint, but not as horrible as during test fit.20210714_172436.jpg

So I will post more on this tomorrow when I prime and paint the base. Love this kit... though worried about a space for the sucker.:p

Cool, I've always wanted to see a build up of this kit.
I never even knew of it till a few months ago. As a big fan of the film and Vermithrax herself I HAD TO GET IT.

And its gonna be a big test of my painting skills, all the more because other than primer and clearcoats it'll be all handpainted cos I have no airbrush.(And its been so long since I last used one I'd need to relearn before tackling something like this anyhow.) This is definitely a painter's kit.

So I have been laying some paint on Mr. Macnicol, and the base is primed:20210715_190707.jpg20210715_190659.jpg

Peter is looking fairly scruffy right now, partly due to the primer being darker than I really should have used on him(its all I have), and I am custom mixing the colors and not mixing as much as I usually do(which almost always ends up getting wasted). His face is especially irksome, as the flesh tones I am mixing simply won't cover well, and the primer still shows through even after three coats on his face. I will let him dry thoroughly and clearcoat to seal him then keep going.

Note: The lighting of the photo of Peter makes the colors way off from real life, like the shield is actually a burnt umber with an almost straight black wash.

And here I present Mr. Macnicol as Galen! I can't say I am completely happy with my painting on him, and I now realize I need to get a batch of those paintbrushes for minis like Zoe has. But he still looks better than I expected.20210716_203709.jpg20210716_203714.jpg20210716_203718.jpg20210716_203731.jpg

I forgot to mention the plastic rods sticking outta his feet were added by me. I was concerned about Galen standing on the base simply by being glued down, so drilled out holes in his feet for Plastruct rods, which will eventually be glued into matching holes I drilled into the base.

Last edited:
Base is finished!(I THEENK):p And before I left for work Monday I got Vermithrax finally primed. Got her seams done Sunday night, though gonna hafta redo the right inner wing/arm seam and touch up a couple others. Something I notice with this Vallejo putty is that it seems SOMETIMES to shrink badly. Its weird.20210719_235430.jpg20210719_235436.jpg

Got some basecoat slapped on Vermithrax. Once I get this brown over the main body I am painting a darker shade onto the wings, which will eventually be lightened and reddened till its a somewhat burnt skin looking color. And the main body will then be colored with a dark green(MAYBE with heavy dry brushing).20210720_093148.jpg

Latest posts

Back