The Moon at Perogy

Papermodder

Modeller in both Plastic and Paper Card
A couple of my other hobbies are Astronomy and Photography.
Last Sunday the 23rd of June, the moon was at it's closest point to the earth for this year. Plus I'm still breaking myself in with this new camera. Here is a shot of the moon I took Sunday evening.

Moon1Jun-23-2013copy_zpsc8fb9707.jpg

There is a lot of interesting detail there if you expand the picture more.
Did anyone else go out to see this phenomenon last Sunday and did anyone else take pics?

Jim

Looks great. Never have managed to get a good shot of the moon with my camera, any tips? What settings I should be using?

Would have liked to have seen it, but I think it was raining or at least overcast here on Sunday night.

You have to use Manual mode and a tripod for starters.

You also want a slow Film Speed setting. Use ISO 100.

Set your Shutter Speed to 1/250 or 1/100 sec. If you have a cable or remote release, or use delayed shutter, you can try 1/60 sec.

Aperture Setting can vary from camera to camera, depending on your setup. I used F 5.6 in this particular shot, but I recommend making multiple shots with different Aperture settings. I'm assuming your using a digital camera. There are those who still shoot film primarily. ;)
Check your results and make adjustments accordingly. You never know for sure what you have until you get it on the computer, so keep every thing.

Focus, depending on your camera, you can use auto or manual. Which ever works best for you. If using auto focus make sure it is set to centre spot and not average. As well set to single shot focus not continuous, you want to be able to lock your focus before your shot.

These are some suggestions. You may have to experiment around them, but it's a good learning experience.

Good luck and happy shooting.

Jim

Cool, thanks.

Yeah I have an older DSLR (8MP) 300mm zoom on one lens. I think is just a case of getting the ISO and shutter speed set right as my shots have been either coming out blurry (even though it is focused properly on manual through the viewfinder), or looks like the moon is covered with a thin layer of clouds (even though it is a crystal clear night).

This will give me something to start from at least!

This may seem silly but make sure your view finder is set up properly. If you wear glasses, make sure the view finder is focused with your glasses on. This is an old bugaboo that goes back to the film SLR days, with complaints that their camera was in focus but their images were out of focus. On my SLR I installed a prescription lens to compensate for this problem. The new Camera has an electronic viewfinder so not a problem. If yours is optical and not electronic then this could be the problem.
Just my thoughts.

Jim

Latest posts

Back