Tamiya Mitsu' Evo VII WRC Build up

SimonW

First of all let me say hi...hi :p

This build could take me awhile, I've built quite a few models before but this one has so much detail in it that I want to try and build it "properly" which could take me ages, as I'm normally a make do kinda modeller when it comes to paint colors and details etc...I might give up on this part way through but I hope not.
so...I'll be updating this as and when I make progress.( any ideas you guys have to help me are appreciated)
For now heres the box pic to get things going...

P090509_0938.jpg

SimonW

Tamiya makes a good product.
Follow along as the instructions say and you'll have a winner!
Careful with the decals, they are very thin/brittle.

Mac said:
Tamiya makes a good product.
Follow along as the instructions say and you'll have a winner!
MVC-916S.jpg
MVC-915S.jpg

Careful with the decals, they are very thin/brittle. I cracked a few and covered them with "mud"!

Wow, great result.
Whats your technique for the mud? has a nice realistic look to it.

SimonW

:-[Well see I cannot paint figures very good, so I decided to muddy up the car and make it harder to see my figures.
Like I said some of the decals broke up so I splashed some brown paint thinned up and then shot air through my A/B at about 25PSI to make it 'flow back'.
Then I made up a very thin mix of paint thinner, 90% thinner 10% paint (I used Tamiya and thinned it with isopropol alcohol) which I sprayed at a very low pressure all over the car in very light coats. Gradually building up the Mucky Haze.
I should have remembered to seal up the decals before weathering. But every kit is a learning process!!

Terrific mud and dust there. Probably one of the most realistic I've seen on a car model.

Good job,
Chas

Welcome Simon. Great to have you here. Cool build you've started. Looking forward to seeing more of this. Great build Mac! Wicked. If you haven't already you should post that in "Watcha Built?".

Hey,
done some more work on the under side of the car, differential and the start of rear suspension started.

P110509_1432.jpg

P110509_1433.jpg

I've also given the body a coat metallic red, waiting to see how it comes out before posting pics of it. :p

SimonW

Glad your taking pictures of the detail Simon!
After all the skid plates are applied a lot of it is covered up.

Hey Mac,

The skid plates on this model come as clear plastic, which the instructions call for to be painted white, I'm thinking after doing all the details I might leave 'em clear...

SimonW

Few more pics to finish off the night,

Wheels with decals applied:
P110509_1948.jpg

Main parts I've been working on:
P110509_194801.jpg

Blurry close-up of a brake/suspension assemberly:
P110509_194802.jpg

Main body shell painted metallic red:
P110509_1949.jpg

DOH!
Never thought of that! Why not?
Makes perfect sense now that you mention it!

Here we go, some more progress...

P120509_1752.jpg

P120509_175201.jpg

P120509_1753.jpg
GAH SHOULD OF PAINTED THE BACK OF THOSE BRAKE DISCS...DOH!!!

Latest posts

Back