Tamiya 1/24 Porsche 911GT1 "back from the abyss"

Carsenault

Been feeling inspired lately thanks to the SMA Big Spring Contest and I'm on a bit of a roll lately so I decided to ressurrect an old build from about 12 years ago. Its the very nice Tamiya 1/24 Porsche 911GT1 kit with the colorful Mobil 1 sponsorship from the '96 Lemans 24 Hr race. The GT1 makes for an impressive model as its bigger and wider than a stock 911, almost like an evolution of the 935 Slant Nose racer from the 70's

por911_gt1_96_01.jpg

I was nearly done with this kit way back when, but I decided to try a shortcut which sidelined the build for a dozen years or so, I used an artist type acrylic spray to seal the paint and decals... Well this stuff had a bad reaction to the Humbrol paint I used and within days the bright winter white paint had turned a dingy beige color, was a big dissapointment at the time. It was the first kit that I ever had to put aside without completing, and I was so close. I packed it all away in hopes of someday stripping the acrylic varnish and completing the build. Fast Forward to a couple of years ago, I was able to locate a spare set of decals from a fellow modeler. Well now I could could go the easier route of stripping the kit down to the bare plastic with either oven cleaner or brake fluid. I opted for the oven cleaner. A few days ago, I applied the first coat of oven cleaner and let it sit for 20 minutes, I came back with an old tooth brush and the old very hard Humbrol Paint and Grumbacher varnish wiped away with very little effort. A second round the next day removed the rest. I was back in buisiness.

Once the parts were cleaned up, I applied a few coats of Vallejo white primer, really beginning to like that stuff, almost as nice as the Tamiya Fine White but a lot easier to work with. I then filled a few gaps and sanded the putty away. I noticed a few ejector pin holes under the spoiler so I will address those tomorrow. Then I will start the color coat using either Tamiya or Model Flex gloss white. With any luck I should have some decals on within a few days, hoping to have this one done in time for the Atlantic Nationals car show in a few weeks...

edit: Just remembered the Nats are next weekend, guess I better boogie.

070111007.jpg

070111008.jpg

070111011.jpg

070111012.jpg

070111013.jpg

070111014.jpg

Nice save off the shelf!!!! Gonna be a looker! Can't wait to see the paint go down! ;D

The paint on the body will be pretty straight forward, gloss white overall with satin and flat black trim, maybe French blue mirrors if I do the #25 car, buit I will probably be doign the #26 beacaus it was co-driven by Canadian driver Scott Goodyear. All the color splash markings are supplied as decals.

Excellent to see this.....................coz i`ve just been given one of these and it was going to be my next car build, i`ll think i`ll wait now and see how this beauty turns out.................awesome work so far tho buddy, keep it up ;D

`Boots`

hey Boots, Thanks

Ill be building it box stock. There are some great builds online by guys that have gone and added much more detail. A friend of mine has the same kit but is adding the Scale Motor Sports super set as well which consists of a very elaborate photo etch set, some turned metal parts plus a full set of carbon fibre and kevlar decals. Even out of the box it is a very nice kit, Im pretty anxious to get it done.

LOL...............there`s plenty in the box to keep me occupied buddy especially with all those decals, i suppose if i could afford the upgrade set i`d probably add it.......................trouble is, me and P/E just don`t get along.....................keep up the great work and i`ll defo be popping by to see this one progress!!!

`Boots` ;D

Thanks guys.

If anyone here hasent built a Tamiya 1/24 sports or racing car, do yourself a favor and pick one up, they are very nice and well worth the price. Look for the releases from the late 90's and later. Id love to pick up one of the Mercedes CLK GTRs or an Acura NSZ some time.

Got the paint and gloss coat done yesterday. Thee is a layer of synthetic car wax in there too which in retrospect I should have applied over the gloss coat. I'll know better next time.

070311002.jpg

070311003.jpg

070311004.jpg

Nice update you got here, I also had in stock a Tamiya Skyline GTR R-34, still quite thinking of the color. since I can't replicate the Silver Skyline of 2 Fast 2 Furious movie.

Wow, after building so many "dull grey" aircraft, I've really done a 180 and built a bunch of very colorful models with Lancaster, X-Wing and now this one. Got most of the decals done last night, what you see here is about 3.5 hrs worth of work breaking only long enough to check my email and crack open a new can of Keiths ale. A few smaller ones left to place now then I can seal it up and polish it up some more before final assembly.

P1020811.jpg

P1020812.jpg

P1020813.jpg

WOW!! "I need some decals, please"!!!! Nice job....so, Ale helps with applying decals?? LOL! Carry on sir!!!! Very nice! ;)

I feel your pain on working with so many decals.
Excellent work on those.

And yes, I do believe the Ale would help

Thats one dam fine decaling session ya had there fella................i`m soooo looking forward to applying them to mine when i get started............NOT!!!, looks superb tho..............first class job buddy ;D

`Boots`

i like the break rotors and calipers, those must be fixed calipers, looks like you also have Carbon Carbon ceramic break rotors too...

Hi Ace, one beauty about the Tamiya 1/24 kits is they tend to pack as much detail as they can in a few parts as possible. The brake disk and calipers are molded in one piece. I do need to touch them up though. Yes, the real ones would be carbon ceramic.

Latest posts

Back