Takom T-54B

Elm City Hobbies

Promised myself that I wouldn't start anything else new until I finished something. So much for that one, this was just calling to me.

Takom T-54B, going to be doing it in the '73 Egyptian markings included in the kit.

20161101_235711-vi.jpg

Since Takom uses a common lower hull for all of their T-54/55/Type 69 kits, some surgery was needed, and holes filled to make this version.

Kit comes with both the Star pattern and Spider pattern wheels, so going to use a mix of them on this kit.

20161103_151823-vi.jpg

Top plate on the chassis. While it fits (mostly), it isn't a drop in fit, so some care needs to be taken to get everything lined up correctly. Once everything else is installed to it, you won't see the slight overhang on the front right.

20161110_003813-vi.jpg

20161110_003801-vi.jpg

Looking forward to seeing your work on this kit develope, how does the kit go together, are there any issues?

urumomo said:
What is this overhang on one side you are talking about ?

Just a slight over hang on the front right (3rd pic). The way the kit goes together they did it as a module construction so they can get the most variants out of the least number of molds. The top of the hull is built from 3 pieces, so they can change out engine decks, front glacis, etc, etc. I just think when they made the front glacis for this one, that it was slightly wider (like 0.5mm maybe) and if you line it up on one side, it over hangs on the other.

The good part is, that the over hang is behind the idler. Swipe of a sanding stick, and once the fenders are on, it won't be noticeable. Nothing to worry about, but does keep this kit from being a shake n bake.

Their instructions could use a little more finesse as well.

I am ditching the 3pc barrel and replacing it with the RB Models metal barrel....it is slightly longer, but no one is going to notice that. As well I am replacing the kit tracks with a set of Friuli tracks.

Interesting ..

Someone was asking me how the Takom kits compared to MENG , but I really don't know .
I have a couple of the MENG pick-ups with the ZPU , ZU in the beds ( I saw they offer a two truck set now ) but I haven't touched them and I know nothing about Takom.

I'm awaiting the MENG King Tiger release , only because it is cheap - and I need two to build what I want ;)
I figured I'd go for a new tool ( I can't believe how many KT kits there are ::) - container ships and container ships of them ! ;D ) for less $$ than the relatively ancient Tamiya version .
The MENG kits have aluminum barrels , which I don't need , so bonus for the parts drawer 8) )

Isn't Mini Art supposed to be releasing another T - ?
I thought I saw a release announcement @ Armorama , but I can't find it now ... :p

So you get multiple glacis plates in the box ?
Is the 3-piece barrel the old-school split down the middle ?

EDIT -- I found the release ---> T-54-1 , I want this kit ! http://armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=23313&mode=thread&order=0

i'm thinking about replacemetn tracks for my trumpeter T62, i hear people banging on about Fruil tracks but what about masterclub... are they any good... i know they are cheaper and i did get a bad experience when i used Fruil tracks for my M41 bulldog... they sent out two left tracks instead of a right and a left so it has put me off using that company again.

Masterclub are good, as are the ModelKasten tracks.

Just happens that I have a couple of sets of the Friuli T-55 tracks here to use.

As far as the KingTiger's go.....while yes the Meng KT will be cheaper, it also doesn't come with an interior like the Takom one does.

While there will be an interior available, it will be a separate purchase, as will the workable tracks, and the zimmerit. So to replicate what comes in the Takom kit with the Meng kit....likely going to cost you more.

Of course if you don't care about the interior, workable tracks and zimm....then by all means, yes it will be less expensive kit.

Yeah ;D ,

No interior needed - - or Zimm

I just need the two hulls and drive-train , , not even the barrels .
They're getting MoMo 'd ;) - - I'll supply the 21 cylinder radial , hydraulic motors , 12.8 cm and 37 mm co-ax 8)

When do you expect to see the MENG KT ?
What will you set the sale price at ?

I've heard a lot of good things about both Model Kasten and Master Club tracks too .
I didn't know the M41 had handed chains ,, which jives with the fact that I know nothing about the Bulldog :p

Chains? Not sure what you mean. If you mean chains like you would put around a tire to give you more traction on snow and ice...they definitely wouldn't have chains on a tracked vehicle for that use....they wouldn't last too long.

Tracked vehicles normally have grousers for extra traction. Basically a metal plate with usually an X in steel welded perpendicular to the surface. These would be attached where a rubber pad would go (either over the pad, or replacing it) to give the tank more traction.

The Meng kit....likely going to be in the $55-$60 range Canadian. If you are going to cut them up, I would almost look on Ebay or FB to see if you can find a couple of used KT kits, rather than cut up a couple of brand new ones.

20161114_011440-vi.jpg

One fender side complete. Nice to see the fuel lines included. Lost one of the smaller ones to the carpet monster, never to be seen again, so had to scratchbuild a replacement.

I don't miss my carpet monster .
There is no way I would do PE with carpet :mad: -- it's horrible enough with the smooth laminate stuff ;D

Chains are what tank people call tracks .
It's how they're referred to in Wehrmacht manuals , etc

I thought the tracks on the M 41 were asymmetrical :

M41_Walker_Bulldog_12-12-2008_16-35-15.jpg

How many Takom kits have you built ?
They have a lot of cool subjects .. but I don't think I've read much about quality .

You say the instructions are lacking -- is Takom a Chinese company ? - seems to be the case with a lot of the Chinese manufacturers -- I always wonder what the instructions are like for their domestic market .

Latest posts

Back