T-70 Light Tank

Tanker52

T-70 Light Tank 1/35 scale by Techmod. The kit goes together well with some fit issue on the underside of the turret. You will not see once the turret is fitted. Some of the details are soft but overall a good kit for a weekend build. I did make some changes to the kit parts.
T70_1.jpg

I used some tubing to replace the main gun and the machine gun. I used some copper wire to create new grab handles.
T70_6.jpg
T70_5.jpg

I did not like how the idler wheel attached to the kit. Since the kit has individual track links, I wanted to be able to position the idler wheel once the tracks are installed. So what I did is cut a piece of brass tubing so the idler wheel shaft fits snuggly and this will allow me to rotate to the proper position.
T70_2.jpg
T70_3.jpg
T70_4.jpg

Update...Tracks are assembled and tank is painted. I added the muffler last because I was not sure how much scratch building I was going to do. All I did was add some tubing at the end and bent them in a rough 45 degree angle. Next is painting the muffler and then weathering the tank.

100_5404.jpg

Nifty - I like the scratched muffler. Overall , one cool wee tank :)

Thanks for the comments bdr65, geegad, CallSignOWL, and ahmed malik. Looking forward to finishing up this project this weekend. I have the muffler painted and just need to work on the weathering effects for the tank. Once I finish, I will post my pics as well as comment more about the kit.

Finished the T-70 this evening and calling this project complete. The kit is very easy to assemble and can be put together in one afternoon. The details of the kit are soft such as the suspension area which lacks detail. Other examples, the main gun barrel kit part is oval shape not round, and the kit part for the grab handles did not look like handles. I replaced these kit parts with metal tubing and copper wire.

100_5421.jpg

I wanted to give my T-70 a weathered looked and some chipping detail from crew members entering and exiting the tank as well as general wear from the battle field. I used Badger model flex weather black paint for the chipping effects.
100_5422.jpg

100_5420.jpg
100_5416.jpg

For the muffler I used several products. First I painted the muffler using Vallejo model air rust and Badger model flex rust. The Vallejo paint was a darker hue than Badger paint, this added a tonal variation in the overall rust color. Once dried, I applied Mig productions standard rust effects wash. I let this try and then applied another application. Before the wash dried, I applied different weathering powders, MIG ochre rust, Vallejo burnt sienna and dark red ochre to achieve a rustic texture. For the smoke stain, I used black chalk pastel. Here is the result,

100_5423.jpg

Looks good mate. Iam growing quite fond of the light tanks :eek:
Thats comin from a tiger - panther tank fan ;D

What a cute little tank! Nice job on it. No markings on this little beast though?

Thanks all for comments.

@ the doog as far as markings some Russian tanks rolled off the assembly line and right into combat. So some tanks did not get markings put on right away. Not sure if the T-70 was one of those tanks. Some historical photos I looked at for reference for the T-70 hand no markings. The kit came with a decal but I decided not to use it.

Latest posts

Back