Sturm Dias from Zeta / ZZ Gundam - Custom paint and weapons

bronxrumble5

Low-Frequency Sonic Disruptor
I finished this model more than a year ago, but never got around to taking my own pictures. I recently remembered that the gentleman who ran the Bandai model kit contest at last year's NY Comic Con and Anime Festival took some photos of it, so I figured I would link to those photos so I could show off the model here. Thanks for the great photos, Gamera Baenre.

I see this as a first wave assault mobile suit. She flies in fast at the head of the assault, lets loose with the small missiles in the hand-held launchers to eliminate as much resistance as possible, then switches to the machine guns stored on the backpack to assist the second wave of the assault in close combat.

nycc_af_day2%20033_JPG.jpg

nycc_af_day2%20034_JPG.jpg

nycc_af_day2%20035_JPG.jpg

nycc_af_day2%20036_JPG.jpg

The colors are mostly Testors enamels, the maroon accents are a custom mixed color. Tamiya silver was dry-brushed onto the weapons to give a more metallic look. I used some Tamiya Weathering Master weathering pastels to highlight the edges. The flat finish was achieved with Micro-Scale flat clear acrylic.

The weapons are Kotobukiya MSG parts. The number decals are from Hi-Q parts. The cheesecake art on the front skirt is from Starship Modeler.

The model didn't win any nods at the Bandai contest, but I am still proud of my work on her.

That looks very kewl to me.
I have been seeing some real nice Kotobukiya weapons packs on Ebay.
Have you built any of their "Armored Core", or "Super Robot Wars" models?
Talk about detail!
;D

ModelMakerMike said:
That looks very kewl to me.
I have been seeing some real nice Kotobukiya weapons packs on Ebay.
Have you built any of their "Armored Core", or "Super Robot Wars" models?
Talk about detail!
;D
Thank you, Mike!
I have finished one of the SRW kits, and mostly finished another. I thought the kit design is kind of close to the Bandai HG kits, but don't assemble as cleanly. They need a lot more love to come up with a decent final product. I have started a couple of Armored Core kits, and built a bunch of the Armored Core weapon sets. The AC stuff is very complicated, with lots of fine edges, but still need a lot of love like the SRW kits.

Yeah,
I hear ya. Lot's of tiny parts, and require more attention.
I am always amazed at the engineering evident in the Bandai Gundam kits.
:)

ModelMakerMike said:
Yeah,
I hear ya. Lot's of tiny parts, and require more attention.
I am always amazed at the engineering evident in the Bandai Gundam kits.
:)

I concur. I bought and assembled a Perfect Grade Gundam Zero about 4 years back, totally OOB with no paint. It is literally a feat of engineering, and looks amazing. My only regret is tightening the supplied screws TOO much. Posing it is a little difficult because of that.

Really nice remodel on the Rick Dias. Big fan of the MS designs from Zeta in general and this looks like a plausible variant.

sunsanvil said:
Really nice remodel on the Rick Dias. Big fan of the MS designs from Zeta in general and this looks like a plausible variant.

True! Zeta Gundam Had a lot of really super-kewl mech designs. So did "War in the Pocket" and "F-91"....
War in the Pocket had a really great story as well. A MUST see for any Gundam/mecha fan!
;D

Latest posts

Back