Strobe/Flasher circuit

Glorfindel

For those who know why more than I do. I purchased a single LED Flasher circuit from the Fiber Optic Store. This product here: http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=3_72_73&products_id=1264
And it comes pre-wired to a 9v battery clip. I wanted to hard wire it to a permanent 9v power supply so I cut off the battery clip and connected the circuit to my breadboard to perform a test run. Of course I'm using a 9v wall adapter plugged in to my breadboard and when I plug the adapter in nothing happens. Why is this? When I touch the neg/pos ends to the battery the circuit blinks, yet nothing when hooked up to the breadboard. I'm baffled. Any suggestions or is it a case of you get what you paid for? The circuit is only $8.50 so I'm not crushed, just disappointed.
Any suggestions on where to purchase a more reliable circuit?

Glorfindel, Make sure the adapter you are using is DC and Not AC. If it the output is 9V AC you would get the results you are seeing. It should be marked on the label of the adapter.

Jim

Whoa....Papermodder you might be right! I just checked my adapters and their both AC. It would make sense because I bought them from Parts Express at the same time. Now I just ordered an adjustable VDC adapter but that hasn't come in yet so I can't check my circuits out yet until it arrives.

Jim you were right! It was the AC/DC problem with the circuit not functioning on my breadboard. I hooked up the new adapter and viola! Strobes are blinking! Happy days.
I'm gonna pour myself a Shasta.

One other thing to worry about is that some of the wall warts do not actually put out the proper voltage. I had that problem once in the past. The wall wart said 9 V, but when I hooked up a voltage meter, it said 15V. Which would have fried the circuits.

Now the wall warts that have adjustable voltages are somewhat more reliable.

Something one has to watch with these is that some are not regulated on the output, so you get a different voltage whether the output is loaded or not.

Jim

Latest posts

Back