Stripping Vallejo Primer

BigChinoDon

I had an airbrush malfunction (my fault) and need to strip Vallejo grey primer off a few parts. Anyone have any suggestions on how to do this. So far I have tried warm soapy water, alcohol, and Castrol Super Clean. So far the primer seems to be resisting everything. I also tried fingernail polish remover and it worked, but I'm afraid to use it on small delicate parts.

Thanks
Don

A long soak in Simple Green and a bunch of hard scrubbings should take it off. I can't remember if Windex works or not.

Windex works. That is what I use to clean up acrylic paint and primer on my models and my airbrush. On your model piece spray Windex then rinse with warm water. You may have to repeat if the primer has had time to dry or let the Windex soak for a minute then rinse with warm water.

Vallejo is different from other acrylics like Tamiya and Gunze that will come right off in Windex without scrubbing. Vallejo primer is an acrylic polyurethane which is even tougher to strip.

So after drinking a glass of pinot noir, watching a little baseball and surfing the net, I went back and checked my parts sitting in straight Super Clean. It's coming off after a little soaking. Give it another hour and it should be clean. I'm out of Simple Green right now.

I'm used to acrylics just falling off with Windex. This Vallejo primer is good stuff.

Learned something new here...one of my parts that I primed last night with Vallejo gray primer this morning Windex would not even phase taking the primer off. Only when the primer is applied and not cured you have only a few minutes to use Windex to clean up any overspray. Also, I always use Windex once I am finished with the airbrush to clean the cup etc. I will have to make sure I do not let the primer dry because then I will have to take it apart to clean. I am wondering if Vallejo has an airbrush cleaner.

I found that acetone works pretty well for stripping off the Vallejo primer. I made the mistake of pre-priming my Harrier model before its assembly with Vallejo Surface Primer. After fitting, sanding, gap-filling, etc., I found that the primer (even after curing for weeks) would lift and peel, instead of sanding smooth and flush. To take it off, acetone/nail polish remover on a cotton bud worked pretty well (it's a 1/72 scale).

Tanker52 said:
Learned something new here...one of my parts that I primed last night with Vallejo gray primer this morning Windex would not even phase taking the primer off. Only when the primer is applied and not cured you have only a few minutes to use Windex to clean up any overspray. Also, I always use Windex once I am finished with the airbrush to clean the cup etc. I will have to make sure I do not let the primer dry because then I will have to take it apart to clean. I am wondering if Vallejo has an airbrush cleaner.

Vallejo does have an airbrush cleaner. http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/gb/auxiliaries-model-paints.html

It doesn't specify if it works on their primer though.

HTH,
Don

I use this stuff:

39614.JPG

Maybe it's an overkill but it works...

Latest posts

Back