Stripping (enamel)

mavriqk

I require informative information on a good product to remove model master paint and primer ( i want to strip a styrene model<Enterprise-D '88>) and redo it all

Any help or Useful data would be grandly enjoyed

night

thnks

ps: the verification fields... is that necessary all the time?

Go to your local Walmart (provided you are in the US or Canada) and buy a bottle of Castrol Super Clean. You will find it in the Automotive department, and it is a degreaser/cleaner.

Then get yourself a plastic container with a cover big enough to put the kit into, pour in the CSC, put the cover on, and within a day you should be able to take most of the paint off with an old tooth brush, most of it will just fall off the kit and won't harm the plastic.

Make sure you wear something to protect your hands as it will give them a little tingle.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Go to your local Walmart (provided you are in the US or Canada) and buy a bottle of Castrol Super Clean. You will find it in the Automotive department, and it is a degreaser/cleaner.

Then get yourself a plastic container with a cover big enough to put the kit into, pour in the CSC, put the cover on, and within a day you should be able to take most of the paint off with an old tooth brush, most of it will just fall off the kit and won't harm the plastic.

Make sure you wear something to protect your hands as it will give them a little tingle.

Correct I have stripped a bunch of kits this way, works great. It also strips the chrome also if you need to respray a part with Alclad. It just won't work well with Tamiya lacquer paints. While at Walmart get a plastic shoe box as this works great to hold the plastic parts you want to strip. Also only use a plastic tub to pour that Castrol into as it eats aluminum and don't any on your hands as it sucks the oils right out of them. It is slightly nasty stuff on certain items.

Simple Green will work as well, though, it will need a long soak and several scrubbings.

No matter what you use, wear gloves.

And I think the verification field is only up to so many posts since I don't see them, or the email address could be unverified. We had some bad issues with spam a couple of weeks ago.

mavriqk said:
ps: the verification fields... is that necessary all the time?

No, it should only be for the first three posts (I think) Spam was getting out of hand around here.

If you can work outside, Easy Off Oven Cleaner is much faster. I've stripped kits in a matter of minutes with that stuff. It's nasty though, which is why you should use it outdoors. Put the kit on the driveway or a piece of plywood in the yard and spray it with EOOC. Let sit for 10-15 minutes and then start spraying it lightly with the garden hose to rinse it off. Use an old toothbrush to get remaining paint out of smaller pits and grooves.

Awesome thanks guys, i heard of the easy bake, but i live in an apartment. so close to the patio.ill check out for the castro degresser at my local Canadian tire. or i might wait till the walmart that is going up literally in my backyard, but that might not be till june.. meh ...cant wait to get started again after a 5 year AWOL, got me an airbrush to

as for the verification.. almost feel i should supply biometric data.. maybe retinal

I can swear by the Easy Off method. I use it all the time and it works very well. Doesn't take long either and don't harm the plastic. 10-15 minutes is about all you need. But if you don't cover the surface completely, you may have to respray. I've found that if you put the parts into a ziploc baggy (gallon size) and then spray into the bag until you get a good amount in there and seal the bag it works very well. Works on chrome too.

Is there an actual product called The Purple Pond or is that what people refer Castrol Super Clean as ? I was at the Dollar Tree the other night and straight up they had a liquid in a gray, green and purple container called Purple Pond which is what has me a bit confused right now lol. I thought CSC was referred to as The Purple Pond but then ran across this lol ? Can someone clarify ?

I used to use oven cleaner but switched to Super Clean a couple of years ago, after a buddy at Agape Models showed how he used it to remove the chrome from Tamiya's chromed P-51. In my experience, SC works faster than oven cleaner. But the other advantages are that it is not nearly as caustic as the lye in the oven cleaner. You should use gloves, the label does instruct that, and good ventilation is a good idea in general for our workbenches. But a big advantage to SuperClean is that you can fill a container and use the same batch over and over. Oven cleaner is one burst, and that's it.

SuperClean removed the chrome from the plated sprues in my Red Baron hot rod, in under 2 minutes. I find that a soak of about 5 to 10 minutes is enough to soften and lift off paint on metal or plastic subjects, though it does usually require some light scrubbing with an old toothbrush, and on objects with a lot of relief, I do use toothpicks or dental tools to clean out the scribed detail. But I prefer it now to oven cleaner.

Latest posts

Back