Startrek Space Dock with Refit 1/1700 scale Paper Model

Good evening all.
During the weekend I set myself up for a challenge. Thought wouldn't be nice to add the travelpod to this dio.
I have the 1/48 version by Steven Marshal. It is a simple build with limited no. of parts. I decided to rescale this to 1/1700 and see if I can build it.

Original%20Size%20%201-48_zpsmy3ib0pf.jpg

At%201-1700%20scale_zpsbntvdm9f.jpg

After cutting this out, started to build it under my magnifier.

Travelpod%201_zps5aih8uvs.jpg

It actually went together quite easily. There were a couple of parts for the docking ring that I did not use. They were meant to give the ring more thickness. At this scale not needed.
This is what I ended up with.

Travelpod%206_zpsww2qpkbg.jpg

Travelpod%207_zpsx1cvlcoi.jpg

Travelpod%209_zpsdlkedn4g.jpg

Travelpod%2010_zpsuejjxvul.jpg

I'm happy with how it turned out.

Thank you for following.
Questions and comments welcome.

Jim

:eek: That travelpod is insane
nano-pod

Great concept .

Gonna be awesome

Cheers ,
Uru

Jim, that is unbelievable mate! I'm sure your eyes were hanging out of your head after that.

Chris

Thank you Chris.
The secret is a good stationary magnifier. For me the headband magnifiers just don't cut it.

Jim

Just a lit desktop magnifier, used in micro circuitry. I have had this one for years.

Jim

What an awesome little detail to add to this display! That pod turned out great.

Nice tip on the stationary magnifier. ;)

Good day.
I would like to show you how far I've come with this project.
Now is the time to start marrying the elements of the Space Dock together.
First the Refit has to be suspended within the dock. To do this, three holes were punched through the top of the Dock with a needle, corresponding holes were then made into the Refit. One just behind the bridge and one into the top of each of the nacelles, inline with the pylons. Three pieces of 0.016" clear line each 100cm long were cut and then threaded through the top of the Dock. A piece of tape was attached to the top ends of the line to prevent being pulled through. Each line was then inserted to its' corresponding mounting point on the Refit and glued in place.

Suspending%20the%20Refit%201_zpskqtshi2j.jpg

When dry the lines were pulled from the top of the Dock, till the ship was in its' proper position, with each line clamped off to hold it in place. Each line was then glued from the inside of the Dock and left to dry.

Suspending%20the%20Refit%202_zpsfws86wqi.jpg

Suspending%20the%20Refit%203_zpsdzexuk4f.jpg

Suspending%20the%20Refit%204_zpslly9klhv.jpg

When dry the clamps were removed and the tops of the lines were glued, then cut flush.

To mount the Travelpod, a length of 0.020" clear line was inserted into the side of the Pod, glued and left to dry. When dry the Travelpod was inserted into position to the side of the Dock and held by a clamp base, then glued and left to dry. Then cut flush.
This whole assembly was then reattached to the backplane. This is where I am at right now.

Completed%20Dock%201_zpsohxhsqh3.jpg

Completed%20Dock%202_zpscasejt8s.jpg

Completed%20Dock%203_zpscfjii6vt.jpg

Completed%20Dock%204_zpsyr2ncytk.jpg

Completed%20Dock%205_zps2dpt7iuj.jpg

Completed%20Dock%206_zpsic2xhcjf.jpg

Completed%20Dock%207_zps8p02nemn.jpg

Completed%20Dock%208_zps0ainfe1v.jpg

Completed%20Dock%209_zps3ojweqdl.jpg

This completes the Space Dock section of the build.

Now on to the construction of the Shadowbox and the lighting.

Thank you for following.
Questions and comments welcome.

Jim

Way cool ;D

I really like that last shot . . you need one with the 'space' background .

Cheers ,
Uru

That is looking soooo cool! 8) 8) 8) Wow!

The fact that your travel pod suspension line is .020" and looks to be about 1/5 the height of the pod is a testament of your skill with the tiny detail of the pod.

I'm looking forward to how the box turns out. It would be really cool to see this in person.

Thank you Patrick.

When you look at the project as a whole, I think it is just the right size.
Any larger and it would become unwieldy.

Jim

I thought I would post here a video of a fly through of the Space Dock as it stands.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/gfcEJVAbOfo[/youtube]

Jim

Latest posts

Back